Porsche 917k Driving tips needed

Been getting to grips with the step up to sim racing from arcade style games and am doing on in the Ferrari 458 and Porsche 911 RSR but really struggle when I step into the 917k. At Silverstone using the current layout I'm way off the pace and cant really race. Cant get the car into any corners at all. Any tips for driving this car ? I'll post times when I get home so you can see how far off the pace I am.

Also anyone else think the cockpit is wrong ? The gear stick is down by the drivers right hand side not where the AI driver reaches when you do a gear change

About the stick - it's in correct position - group 5 and group 6 cars back then had shifters on the right (common layout for all racing machinery except BRM formula 1 cars), but the seat was on the right as well (because of better visibility on predominantly clockwise road racing circuits in the world).

What do you mean by "AI driver" though? Our own driver is animated correctly, both during driving and replays (operates shifter with right hand). Do you say the other (AI) 917 drivers on the track have their animations bugged? I admit I never looked at them closer.

Also, I'm talking strictly about PC version of the game, which one do you use?

My experience with the 917k is to drive it not to agressiv. And roll more through coners. Im not a fast guy but maybe it helps you. For better braking use the Enginebrake more if you have trouble with that.

Never forget it`s an early 70 ies car. Porsche builded it to win Le Mans(what it did)for the first time. In RL Porsche 908 were first choice on tracks with mainly curves, like the Nord. The works drivers used both and they preferred the 917 on fast tracks like Le Mans, Silverstone or Monza.

Now back to your problem, You have the feeling, that you have problem to enter the curve, when braking? That´s fine, cause this vintage cars and their tyres can`t do this. Change your driving style.
Because of it´s steal disc brakes, use them much earlier - release the brake pedal and then start to use your steering wheel. And as Charmin before said, use the engine brake. But always keep in mind: The vintage tyres generate much less grip in comparison to a modern one.

Make the supension stiffer, reduce the cars height, when driving on modern tracks(back in time they were much bumpier).
Do everything slower, it´s an old car, that was build for endurance racing and long straights.

Try the Lola T70, it´s easier to handle, great fun to drive and you learn to handle those awesome old beasts much easier.

Last edited:
About the stick - it's in correct position - group 5 and group 6 cars back then had shifters on the right (common layout for all racing machinery except BRM formula 1 cars), but the seat was on the right as well (because of better visibility on predominantly clockwise road racing circuits in the world).

What do you mean by "AI driver" though? Our own driver is animated correctly, both during driving and replays (operates shifter with right hand). Do you say the other (AI) 917 drivers on the track have their animations bugged? I admit I never looked at them closer.

Also, I'm talking strictly about PC version of the game, which one do you use?
Yes the gear stick should be on the right hand side but when I sat in one it was lower down. Wasn't quite in the place you see the driver reach too when you change gear. That driver seems to reach up more on the dash when he should be reaching lower down/

Anyway back to the driving, not changed the setup yet so i'll have a play with that this week. Stupid question, how do I use the engine braking ? Do I need to modify anything in the setup ?

Yes the gear stick should be on the right hand side but when I sat in one it was lower down. Wasn't quite in the place you see the driver reach too when you change gear. That driver seems to reach up more on the dash when he should be reaching lower down/

Anyway back to the driving, not changed the setup yet so i'll have a play with that this week. Stupid question, how do I use the engine braking ? Do I need to modify anything in the setup ?

engine brakes, when you lift the gas pedal... and by shifting down.

I already wrote, how to change setup;)

Well you've chosen a tough car.. I love it but it's quite tricky to drive with all that power. One thing that may help is installing The Setup Market app, then downloading some pre-made setup and see if it makes the car a little bit more willing to turn. The car has actually a lot of grip but requires fast reaction time to keep the rear in place and also requires that you are confident with the brakes. It can actually stop rather quickly if you set the brake bias towards the rear but the risk is spinning, so make sure you brake in a straight line, take it easy in the corners and use the power on the straights.

• Deleted member 130869

The 917k is agile and will take nearly everything. It's very pleasant to drive and welcoming to push, and being a video game you aren't punished for abusing it a bit. Use trail braking and don't be afraid to let the rear step out.

Here's a picture of the cockpit of the 917k. This is what I was referring to above, the gear lever is low down the drivers right hand side. When you change gear in the game, the animation and where the driver reaches to change gear doesn't seem to match up with my experience of sitting in the car.

Attachments

• 917.JPG
    917.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 1,131
I can't really see anything obviously wrong in 3D model of the car - the shifter handle should be below wheel column level, roughly at the same height as the switches panel on the left and it is, just like on your photo. Mind you, I'm talking about the model of the car, 'cause the model of the driver and his animations have indeed always been somewhat crappy in AC, but that applies to the whole game, you just notice it in some cars more than in the others.

156bhhg.jpg

I can't really see anything obviously wrong in 3D model of the car - the shifter handle should be below wheel column level, roughly at the same height as the switches panel on the left and it is, just like on your photo. Mind you, I'm talking about the model of the car, 'cause the model of the driver and his animations have indeed always been somewhat crappy in AC, but that applies to the whole game, you just notice it in some cars more than in the others.

156bhhg.jpg
That angle looks a lot better and does match my pic from sitting in the car. Think it' smore when you are driving it doesn't seem to match up correctly. I'll check it again when imback from holiday

wow im not doing too bad at all then.. along several seconds off the best times out there.. Im doing ok on Monza Road 66 as well.. although with less corners \ braking it's an easier course.

I'll sort out the plug in for RSR so I can see better myself how well im doing

• Deleted member 130869

Take it around Sergio Loro's 1967 Hockenheim F3 circuit, it's fun handling the car through the super fast corners in the forest.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 230 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 157 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 222 14.3%