Porsche 911 GT3 Cup - setup options in iRacing not available in R3E

Below on left 911 GT3 Cup settings from Niki Thiim's video of iRacing. It seems that all setup options are available. At least for practice which is what it appeared to be.

I assume R3E is following actual series rules, as would iRacing I assume, but those settings that are visible in R3E (tyre pressures not of course) don't seem to be editable. Springs and ride height etc. Just wondered why this might be so.

Also wish the toe settings would have the same range and values.. Or one of them is incorrect ;)
SNBrUgu.png

Hi,

Toe settings in IRacing are in mm and degrees in R3E, so not directly comparable. But I would think that -1.4mm is a lot more than -0.1°, agreed.

I do not think that R3E applies any racing series rules to the setups (not sure for the "Experience" versions like GT Masters). I wold assume it's just a basic setup the car should be running just fine with, maybe not ideally though. So maybe still room for improvement.

Cheers

I think the Sector3 physics guy said the car in R3E is based on a new 2017 model which was only used in the Porsche Supercup and the German national series this year and it will be available to the rest of the world next year. So if the iR version is based on a North American series, I assume they aren't the same spec.

I think the Sector3 physics guy said the car in R3E is based on a new 2017 model which was only used in the Porsche Supercup and the German national series this year and it will be available to the rest of the world next year. So if the iR version is based on a North American series, I assume they aren't the same spec.
Yes I think Alex stated that in the stream with Paul from RD

Hi,

Toe settings in IRacing are in mm and degrees in R3E, so not directly comparable. But I would think that -1.4mm is a lot more than -0.1°, agreed.

I do not think that R3E applies any racing series rules to the setups (not sure for the "Experience" versions like GT Masters). I wold assume it's just a basic setup the car should be running just fine with, maybe not ideally though. So maybe still room for improvement.

Cheers
Thanks, yes appears to be so. Don't know of a way to convert millimeters to degrees to maybe compare the setups in a way.

The car we have in R3E is based on the 2017 German Carerra Cup and 2017 Porsche Supercup. Both of those series use the same very restrictive setups, which is how I made it in game.

To compare angled and measured toe out, we use some basic trigonometry.
The wheels are 18" at the rim, which is usually where we measure toe at. Converted to metric, that's 457.2 mm.

If we have 1.4 mm toe out, we have two sides of a triangle when viewed from above, so we can use Tangent to solve opposite over adjacent, which gives us 0.175 degrees.

2mm toe out would give us 0.250 degrees
1mm toe out would give us 0.125 degrees
0.5mm toe out would give us 0.062 degrees

The car we have in R3E is based on the 2017 German Carerra Cup and 2017 Porsche Supercup. Both of those series use the same very restrictive setups, which is how I made it in game.

To compare angled and measured toe out, we use some basic trigonometry.
The wheels are 18" at the rim, which is usually where we measure toe at. Converted to metric, that's 457.2 mm.

If we have 1.4 mm toe out, we have two sides of a triangle when viewed from above, so we can use Tangent to solve opposite over adjacent, which gives us 0.175 degrees.

2mm toe out would give us 0.250 degrees
1mm toe out would give us 0.125 degrees
0.5mm toe out would give us 0.062 degrees
Thanks Alex. Can we have that in English please? :O_o:

Oh I forgot Alex, I wanted to thank you for your physics work. I bought the new 3 x Porsche day 1 and hadn't really had a chance to give them a proper go. On a quite evening during xmas I game the Cup car a try on the nords and was grinning from ear to ear :) I like the GT4 as well, feels so different. And the GT3 R again so different when compared to the cup. At this stage I'd like the AI (at 95%) to leave me alone during practice, no punterino as Jimmy Broadbent says ;)

Last edited:

They would be the same spec. Although, iRacing released their version earlier this year, before the car even competed whatsoever. And at the time, the only events it would be competing in were the Carrera Cup Deutschland and Mobil 1 Supercup as Alex mentioned above. So, it would be impossible for them to model an N/A variant, since it didnt exist.

Every game has differences in what they allow the player to change. And iR seems to allow a lot of setup changes. Interestingly, their setup values are very odd. If the pic in the OP is of the stock setup for the PCC, they use some very low camber settings. -4.5 front and -4.0 rear are generally what is normally used. The Cup Car uses quite a lot of camber compared to any other race car.

Elsewhere here on RD, someone was comparing the AC version to the iR version, and it seems that the iR version is using the wrong tire pressures just like the AC version. So, comparing setup values between sims generally isnt the definitive way to find out pure accuracy.

Speaking of tire pressures.. when do we get a chance to change these in R3E? Have been toying with the idea of finally putting some serious money into the game but it just feels odd not having one of the most basic setup options available. Back in 2015 it was promised to be available "soon".

Speaking of tire pressures.. when do we get a chance to change these in R3E? Have been toying with the idea of finally putting some serious money into the game but it just feels odd not having one of the most basic setup options available. Back in 2015 it was promised to be available "soon".

True, I agree it would be good to have that option. But having said that if they have chosen the 'perfect' pressures then how much would they be changed?
I do come at this as someone who plays a bit with set up but i do tend to end up just going stock set ups most of the time.
Some sims have stupid stock pressures though, but every tyre has an optimal pressure, once you have it you can pretty much keep as is, I'd hope RRE has optimal perfect ones as standard.

I find it odd that not one sim has tyres which when they have no pressure at all react or look like flat tyres...

Have you tried bursting your tyres in R3E? Your car is guaranteed to feel quite different. ;)

I have had burst tyres in sims, but if you put zero pressure in your tyres you don't have flat tyres. RRE may not have tyre pressure, but just because something has it, does it always mean its done correctly?
That is my point.
I suppose devs can program "tyres burst = handling issues" but seems that 0 PSi = drivable in all sims i have tried it in.
If i have ever had 0 PSi in my tyres in real life i know about it.

Ah sorry, I thought by zero pressure you meant burst. :) Admittedly I don't mess with setups that much.

Yes its an odd one, I understand no one wants to run 0 PSi, but surely if the sums all add up and its all working correctly s per all the guff and bluster "tyre model" stuff they give us, it should be possible to see a flat tyre? Or at least feel it..

Tyre pressues do exist and do currently work correctly in RaceRoom, but they're completely behind the scenes. As part of the development process, we dial in the pressures to a nice usable value, which are then locked in. I can 100% guarantee that if I set the pressures to 0, the car would be pretty terrible!

I was talking about the other sims, I said few posts above that i'd guess raceroom picks best / optimal pressures. Lack of changeable PSi values isn't a big deal for me at least. But i get why folks like to have it.
Cheers.

I honestly feel the other way around - I wish I could just click "set tyre pressures to optimal" or something like that in other sims and just ignore this stuff completely. I understand a lot of people like to tinker with this and therefore want the option to be available, and more power to you, but I just find tweaking tyre pressures annoying while often having a significant (yet not necessary realistic) impact on how the car handles.

I honestly feel the other way around - I wish I could just click "set tyre pressures to optimal" or something like that in other sims and just ignore this stuff completely. I understand a lot of people like to tinker with this and therefore want the option to be available, and more power to you, but I just find tweaking tyre pressures annoying while often having a significant (yet not necessary realistic) impact on how the car handles.

Agreed.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back