AC Porsche 911 GT3 Cup @ Brands Hatch - Saturday, April 8, 2017

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
@f1wheelnut
I hear Ya mate!! :thumbsup: Time to tinker I guess, my FOV is at 27 running 3x32" monitors, the slow moving peripheral vision is just weirding me out:O_o:...............:rolleyes:

How is your FOV at 27 if you're running triples? The FOV setting in AC is locked out when running triples, always has been. Well, it used to be totally locked out, now you can move it but it still doesn't do anything. You have to adjust it with the distance spanner in the triple screen app, but I've found when I put in the actual distance I don't care for how it looks/feels so I usually bump it up a bit (lower number = higher FOV, higher number = lower FOV). I do lean to the side of the "mathematically correct" FOV calculations but I also believe they generally needed to be adjusted to taste, an actual FOV of 27 would be pretty low for me and it would also really neuter the sense of speed.

Like Bobby said, altering the FOV will change the way you perceive the track and as a result how you perceive your car behavior. At a high FOV the track looks stretched out and skinny and your car feels sluggish and slow to react. With a low FOV the track feels wide and squished up against your face and the car feels very twitchy and nervous. It's a bizarre effect but it's real. I believe I settled on a value of around 600 which I found to be the best compromise, I can attack the track well and the car behaves well.

Of course the biggest thing you can do to increase your sense of speed is to run with bumper view. This view also makes the track look wider and objects look bigger and you have an unobstructed view of the objects whizzing by in your peripheral vision, on triples it can be a bit frightening because you really feel the speed! With bumper cam you'll also probably find that you're a bit faster and more consistent because you can hit your brake points and apexes better due to having an unobstructed view.

How is your FOV at 27 if you're running triples? The FOV setting in AC is locked out when running triples, always has been. Well, it used to be totally locked out, now you can move it but it still doesn't do anything. You have to adjust it with the distance spanner in the triple screen app, but I've found when I put in the actual distance I don't care for how it looks/feels so I usually bump it up a bit (lower number = higher FOV, higher number = lower FOV). I do lean to the side of the "mathematically correct" FOV calculations but I also believe they generally needed to be adjusted to taste, an actual FOV of 27 would be pretty low for me and it would also really neuter the sense of speed.

Like Bobby said, altering the FOV will change the way you perceive the track and as a result how you perceive your car behavior. At a high FOV the track looks stretched out and skinny and your car feels sluggish and slow to react. With a low FOV the track feels wide and squished up against your face and the car feels very twitchy and nervous. It's a bizarre effect but it's real. I believe I settled on a value of around 600 which I found to be the best compromise, I can attack the track well and the car behaves well.

Of course the biggest thing you can do to increase your sense of speed is to run with bumper view. This view also makes the track look wider and objects look bigger and you have an unobstructed view of the objects whizzing by in your peripheral vision, on triples it can be a bit frightening because you really feel the speed! With bumper cam you'll also probably find that you're a bit faster and more consistent because you can hit your brake points and apexes better due to having an unobstructed view.
@Andrew Scott if I'd know you had triples I would have put you in touch with this man. My video and his understanding of where I was coming from is what led me to becoming a Premium Member. I thought, man I gotta race with this guy.
Brandon did a video of this as well with his triple screens. Listen to him on this subject. Great advice.

@Brandon Wright and the rest of you guys, unfortunately something has come up and I will literally have to back out of the Cup race at Brands Hatch. Very disappointed. Racing with you guys is a highlight for me.
I'll see you Monday and Tuesday plus next Saturday where ever we race at.
Have a great time:):):)

@Brandon Wright and the rest of you guys, unfortunately something has come up and I will literally have to back out of the Cup race at Brands Hatch. Very disappointed. Racing with you guys is a highlight for me.
I'll see you Monday and Tuesday plus next Saturday where ever we race at.
Have a great time:):):)

Damn life interfering with sim racing. :cautious: No worries pal, we'll catch you next week.

I vowed to never again address the Sacred, Holy, Untouchable FOV and I am not doing it here either FOV aficionados:D:D:D:D:D
Yes, you should never ever talk about that stuff- It's like answering the question, "Do I look fat in this dress", you loose no matter what.:confused: Although it is notable that Kunos said the proper field of view if 54. Believe me I have tried every possible number and none of them made me feel like I was going fast except using the bumper view - Which I just can't do for racing. So my final answer for FOV with AC is using VR!!
Works for me but as you found out @f1wheelnut , everyone has an opinion:roflmao:

Sounds like a winner so I'm in! (If things change I will let you know!) I like driving the same car on different tracks so that I can come to grips with the car and this one is a real challenge.

Yes, you should never ever talk about that stuff- It's like answering the question, "Do I look fat in this dress", you loose no matter what.:confused: Although it is notable that Kunos said the proper field of view if 54. Believe me I have tried every possible number and none of them made me feel like I was going fast except using the bumper view - Which I just can't do for racing. So my final answer for FOV with AC is using VR!!
Works for me but as you found out @f1wheelnut , everyone has an opinion:roflmao:
So true

Like I said mate, been a spell since I did any work in AC, Ive always had my FOV at 27, run 27 in all sims if it's adjustable. I didn't know FOV is basically useless in AC, learn something new everyday, I guess I had that set from when I ran single screen and just never bothered with it when I went triples, as it seemed ok visually.

I did notice last night while running laps in the F/abarth if I look at the scenery by turning my head 90* it is whizzing past, the fence, grass & crowd do blurrrr, but you have to focus on it to notice it, bit hard when your hurdling down the RedBull Ring straight at 220kph lol.
I'm a cockpit man, can't drive from bumper/bonnet cam, I know it's somewhat of an advantage visually, but I'm a purist at heart, and besides it's a simulation so lets simulate.
As far as the FOV goes I might bring it up to the high 30's see how it looks, just to improve the visual aspect of speed, as I have to admit the 27FOV feels like a funeral procession.
Many thanks for the heads up lads, much appreciated, see ya on the black stuff.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back