Poor FPS / Performance difficulties

Msportdan

@Simberia
So after weeks of pretty much playing AC with the new update. I put on GSC, I was looking forward to it long time away and I thought it will be a blast...long time away and all that?!

errr.... maybe not

I was disappointed with it it felt so lacking performance wise so to speak.. I don't want to get bashed here as I'm just trying to be honest and I will be, you all know me by now.

The gfx, which really suffers and not only that I cant sustain 60 fps with this game on full whack, replays can drop to around 20fps on my i7 gtx 970. Theres glitches around tracks etc etc/// Its a little disheartening after running pcars and ac at full whack solid 60fps. The ai have issues and its plain to see. Its just this engine has been flogged to death and reiza have should be proud by it .

The thing for me is that on high shadows (unlike rf2), the shadows dont go on/inside the cars, and sometimes looks very unauthentic/flat. Max shadows kills my fps in shadows heavy tracks/time..

I'm so sorry guys.. I love your work, but I think we need to move on technologically speaking.

Last edited:
Okay after a few hours of gfx testings. Ive found the major culprits. Basically all the wives tales of altering configs using AA in CP etc etc do NOT make a difference sorry.

For me setting Shadows and FX on high /blur off (rest maxed) gave me solid 60fps in replays and in car, and at night setting max headlights to 10 in plr file. I was testing imola and 18 Sv8s. Shadows on max at the start gave me bad fps drops (replay) and mixed with the dust on full was bad. As imola has many over track adverts etc I think it will be better on other tracks with the shadows at max.

Also at these points in the drops my gpu was at 99% usage?! Is gsc really pushing my gtx that hard, have to look at other games.

this is also tested with the mr18 at imola. same fps drops too.

Last edited:
Yeah, but in afterburner, add gpu memory usage, memory clock and gpu core clock. Then, check to see ingame if these (specificly core clock and memory clock) are the actual max for your videocard. For example, mine has core clock of 900 mhz and memory clock of 2055 mhz, but when not in load, will actually run at 51 mhz and 101 mhz respectively... Sometimes, the videocard wont detect that its really under load.

Also, if you have integrated gpu, make sure youre not using that.

Also, go to your game folder, open the file config.ini and find the lines
SystemRAM=
VideoRAM=
then set them to respond to your system specs. I personally havent found them to do anything, but it might be different for you.

Also, what resolution are you running? Triple sceens? 4k?

I too am having problems with a slight stutter at the start of races and when there is a lot on screen. i have an i5-6600 and gtx 970. should i just drop down my settings??? which make the most impact for the least graphical quality drop??

You have major PC problems then...

I run my game at a constant 120 fps (120 fps total alternating and split per eye [60 fps alternating each] as I run Nvidia 3D Vision) w/ triple screens and multiview (of course). My graphics settings? Almost all maxed...

Set AF to 8x instead of 16x as that can make a framerate difference when lots of cars are on screen even though it's almost identical in-terms of image quality.

Set circuit detail to high instead of full. You'll hardly notice the IQ difference, trust me.

Set shadow blur to disabled. I can't notice a difference with that unless I play from an arcade chase cam view which I don't.

If you want to lower a few more things with minimal image quality impact then...

Set opponent detail to high instead of full (you may notice this, I believe this affects the resolution of the skins, they get more blurry and pixelated the lower this is set to but high should still be good).

Set special effects 1 click lower from it's max setting (can't remember what it's called).

I also use Level 2 AA set from game.

GPU control Panel I use max pre-rendered frames @ 1, performance mode set to max performance instead of adaptive, and Transparency aliasing set to multisample (this is probably hardly doing anything so I wouldn't worry about it).

RFactor 2 mysteriously, unlike just about any other videogame, looses a lot of performance when not running PCI-E 3.0 @ 16x - I'm talking around 15% - 40% here. I never did tests or read anything about this phenomenon in any games based on a pre-RF2 ISI engine but it may be the same. That leads me to the question: which CPU are you using to play SCE?

major pc problems?!

sorry but no.

funny my rf2 at max can run solid 60 all the time and doesnt drop a frame. So then your pc has problems?!

You cant generalise everyones pc with what you have, you should of learnt this being so CPU illiterate spin. But then your not running near max at all, its more like high, circuit detail is a massive fps saver and so is AFx8 and your running aax2, but then your on triples. But for me (and ive tested) the shadows and fx kill fps, much more than your settings do.

But tell me why in every other sim/fps etc etc, i can run pretty much max, but in sce i have to drop some settings..on a muiles inferior looking game. It doesnt make sense no matter how you sugar coat it mate. Sounds like theres limitations in the software allbeit windows 10, sce, or a mixture of sofware and hardware. Or the game isnt well optimised?!

and again...

"special effects"

what does the above actually change.? what ive noticed is the resolution of the smoke/dirt etc.

Last edited:
I don't know what you're whining about towards me in your last reply but, yes, if you can't even play SCE at 60 fps with a GTX 970 then, I repeat, there are issues on your end, not the game, because I, and many others, have the same GPU as you (GTX 970) and run constantly at almost fully maxed-out graphics + triple screens (6000x1080) + multiview + Level 2 AA at well over 60 fps and often over 100 fps.

You're welcome for taking the time to try to help you though (my previous post).

P.S. I'm not running near max at all but more at high? I have every setting maxed except 2 which are 1 tick from max (high). How the hell is that not almost fully maxed? Lol.

Last edited:
sorry spin but without you actually physically looking at my pc, you are in no shape to say my PC has issues. I can pick out at least ten people who ive read, who have had trouble with gsc on a gtx970, not to mention fps stuttering and performance problems on a whole with gsc.

i can say mine is almost maxed too, shadows and fx on high the rest ultra. But i do accept your running triples etc etc, so yes i agree, theres something that GSC and my pc do not agree on. I seem to get varying performance with every Nvidia driver i download (on gsc), so since most of my other games, including all sims, seem to run at a very good solid 60fps all round. Im just gonna put it down to the driver or nvidia issue maybe.

I didnt mean any disrespect but i just cant stand people who make snap judgments on someones post thinking they know whats up with their rig. Im not saying its gsc alone, but theres something on my pc its not agreeing with, when ALL games run ok, and even the many benchmarks i run.

and to add no one ever answers why all my other sims pcars, AC, rre etc run fine and gsc does not?

says it all imo.

Ya, I just didnt understand why you said I'm CPU illiterate but no worries.

Anyways, ya, something is not agreeing between and SCE and your system. You should try DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and install another set of Nvidia drivers. I'm running 353.30 stil (or is it 355.30? I can't remember) FYI.

ill give that a try...

what do your replays run at, if you dont mind checking for example the 18 vees at montreal modern.
i know replays aren't important but i like studying them, in race is sort of okay, butmy replays can really drop to around 30 in sections.
cheers

Dan, why don't you just move on to the next race sim now. When you come back to SCE in a few months, it will work as it should I bet. ;)
For what its woth I only have a GTX770 overclocked and an overclocked i5 cpu and my SCE rarely drops below 100 fps during replays with most things on max. But I don't run night races and I don't run more than 20 AI either.

ill give that a try...

what do your replays run at, if you dont mind checking for example the 18 vees at montreal modern.
i know replays aren't important but i like studying them, in race is sort of okay, butmy replays can really drop to around 30 in sections.
cheers
Sure, I'll do that but can you do me a favour and tell me all your settings? Or else my results may not mean much to you. A screenshot works too.

Also, please provide me with SCE config settings like resolution, AA level, etc., and any GPU control panel settings you may have enabled.

Thanks.

I read a lot about graphic issues with GSCE and guys using good hardware having frame problems etc.
Here's the thing.....
I run windows 7 / 64
2.8 Quad-core (Socket 775) Old I know!!!
nVidia GT430 with 1gig memory
4gigs DDR2 ram

I play the game on everything on high with NO problem online at 170+fps.
We run fields of 25 or so cars and only get a bit of frame loss on some 3rd party tracks.
Maybe the hardware is TOO good that you guys are using?
If I can play with this system, then NOBODY should have a problem :rolleyes::roflmao::roflmao::cool:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back