GT Sport Polyphony Digital Secure Porsche Licence For Gran Turismo Sport

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Gran Turismo Sport - Porsche 2.jpg

Polyphony Digital have secured the rights to bring the Porsche brand to the upcoming Gran Turismo Sport game for Sony PlayStation 4.

Absolutely long gone are the days when a Porsche was only seen outside of an Electronic Arts game courtesy of third party modding teams, now Polyphony Digital become the latest race game developers to confirm the German brand will be appearing in one of their games this year with Gran Turismo Sport as the beneficiary.

With Gran Turismo Sport due for release sometime within the current year, gaming giants Polyphony Digital have confirmed a deal has been secured some time ago to bring a selection of Porsche cars to the upcoming FIA endorsed PlayStation 4 racing game. Although exactly which models from the German manufacturers' enviable line up of cars has yet to be revealed, we can already see the 911 GT3 RS in game and looking like a finished product from the images included in this article.

So exciting times ahead for Gran Turismo Sport players as yet another developer manages to snag a once illusive licence that has been missing from sim racing for far too long...

Gran Turismo 6 is the current latest title from Polyphony Digital. GT Sport is scheduled for release during 2017 for Sony PlayStation 4.

Gran Turismo Sport - Porsche.jpg
Gran Turismo Sport - Porsche 3.jpg
Gran Turismo Sport - Porsche 4.jpg
Gran Turismo Sport - Porsche 5.jpg
Gran Turismo Sport - Porsche 6.jpg

Don't forget to check out the Gran Turismo Series sub forum here at RaceDepartment to keep abreast of all the latest news and discussion around these racing games. We have a dedicated section for GT6 and for the upcoming Gran Turismo Sport release, so stay tuned for all the information as and when it becomes available.

Are you happy to see Porsche in GT Sport? What other brands would you like to see added to the game? Which Porsche models do you hope make an appearance? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
As far as racing games go it is good enough if you can drive the game with a wheel and the game has some kind of model of oversteer and understeer. Anything at the level of forza, f1 20xx and gt is more than adequate. The game doesn't need to have complex physics for it to do its part in the process. Fast people are going to be fast no matter what kind of driving game it is as long as the winner needs to finish first. I'd imagine there are lots of people in the top 50 driving with pads for example. But once you get into the later elimination stages you need to be able to drive with a wheel. And to get into the real cars you need to be able to drive real cars.

Nobody is saying gt is the best sim. But for this purpose it is good enough. And to be good enough the bar is not set very high because it doesn't need to be. It would add no extra benefit to the program if they used something like rf2. The real measurements would still be based on performance in real race cars and nobody is chosen because he happens to be fast in gt with a pad. You need to be fast in gt to get in but for the actual driving part they use real cars and all other kinds of methods. Not driving gran turismos.

And for that gt is the best game because it has the biggest talent pool. Over the gt academy there have been more participants in those events combined than there are actual racing sims sold over the years since gp2.

Those are all in-game shots (looks good, eh?). Confirmation:
https://www.gtplanet.net/porsche-officially-confirmed-for-gran-turismo-sport/

And the photo mode, as was the case with all GT titles that had one, is using the game's engine. Which is this one, in the case of Sport:

So fooled by what, exactly? And speaking of graphics, is there any PC sim that looks as good as GT Sport, including HDR and wide color support?

They are not, you don"t seem to get it. They are real pictures with virtual cars (the two city pictures).
I need to explain coz you don't seem to get it, the cars are the one from the game but the two city shots are real pictures with GT sport virtual in game car.

Also why did you give me a trailer ?... what was the point of it ? here to show you that what i am saying is fact

And good job dismissing the fact I said the game looks good and that I was just saying to be carefull of not getting fooled by screens of GT Sport because they could be ones with the real pictures and the in game virtual car.

BTW GT sport isn't a sim lol, big lol, lol so much, gt sport a sim lol lol lol and yes there's a better looking car game, forza horizon 3 !

Last edited:
Will make a lot of people happy to see Porsche in a GT game.

As for some comments on visuals, GT certainly has some very good elements. P VCars 2 looks very good also but I personally think Turn 10 could set a new (visual benchmark) this year at E3 with FM7.

Will make a lot of people happy to see Porsche in a GT game.

As for some comments on visuals, GT certainly has some very good elements. P VCars 2 looks very good also but I personally think Turn 10 could set a new (visual benchmark) this year at E3 with FM7.

I think FM7 is going to have to; they finally have competition on the consoles now.

Good news, really. Licence exclusivity isn't good for the genre. Only thing I can't stand about this is the publicity from the automotive media this game receives, which Assetto Corsa & iRacing typically don't. #ad ...

In terms of making race drivers out of GT players... I think physics aren't necessarily the most important part here. As long as it lines up relatively well with reality and the tracks are accurate it's more important to learn the basics of driving, racing, and reference points of tracks. A real race car will still be a learning curve even from a motion sim rig + sim with great physics and either way you'd receive a ton of training before your first race. That said, the better the virtual simulation and the more time you spend training with the sim the less time you'll need to adapt to the real thing and learn to instinctively do the right things.

The reason GT gets more publicity is due to it's sales and history, which are undeniable. Assetto Corsa and iRacing are a level (or two) above in terms of physics, but their player bases are relatively small in comparison.

As for GT players becoming real race drivers, again that is just down to the exposure and money GT generates. Whether it's on GT, AC, or iRacing, good drivers will always rise to the top, regardless of the physics fidelity or difficulty. As Epidtolarius said, the level of GT as a sim is good enough to allow the learning of racecraft and general racing speed.

Back on topic, good to see Porsche filter out into other games and sims, especially the GT series. Was always the one brand that was sorely missed from it, although it did give RUF some decent exposure!

That must be the reason why Gran Turismo is the only videogame that officially takes its players and makes them real world racers and winners of championships. You can find those racers and their wins here:

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/academy/graduates/

Here's for Assetto Corsa, iRacing and Project CARS to rise up to the challenge.

I wish Gran Turismo's physics engine would rise up to the challenge.:laugh::rolleyes:

First of all I can see interesting things about Your mentality but I'll keep them to myself.
Second I said nothing about GT, You try to proclaim it the best as it was chosen by Nissan.
And You are right that only the skills matter but most of the guys that succeeded in GT Academy had the skills from the beginning.

You shouldn't practice abstination, some say it's generally bad for you. :D And no, I never "proclaimed" GT is the best, read again. I said Nissan, out of all partnerships with game makers, chose PD to start the academy with, and that this project is currently the only one producing racers from gamers. And.. LOL. GT Academy graduates "had skills from the beginning"? What beginning? You could say Jim Clark "had skills from the beginning" too, along the same lines. He was a farmer, driving tractors as a kid. :)

Last edited:
Good news, really. Licence exclusivity isn't good for the genre. Only thing I can't stand about this is the publicity from the automotive media this game receives, which Assetto Corsa & iRacing typically don't. #ad ...

In terms of making race drivers out of GT players... I think physics aren't necessarily the most important part here. As long as it lines up relatively well with reality and the tracks are accurate it's more important to learn the basics of driving, racing, and reference points of tracks. A real race car will still be a learning curve even from a motion sim rig + sim with great physics and either way you'd receive a ton of training before your first race. That said, the better the virtual simulation and the more time you spend training with the sim the less time you'll need to adapt to the real thing and learn to instinctively do the right things.

Funny logic. So the automotive media is conspiring to publicize GT more than Assetto Corsa and iRacing, and this is because publicity is of course free, right? :)

As for your statement about physics being less important than visuals, pCars should probably produce the best racers out there (EDIT: snap, GT Sport is the only sim supporting HDR and wide color, so in your opinion it should take top spot). And that's probably the main reason why most teams in motorsport, from F1 to GT racing, use rFactor Pro as their simulator of choice.

Last edited:
I wish Gran Turismo's physics engine would rise up to the challenge.:laugh::rolleyes:

Funny, but it already has. Some people in the business of "arcade racers" actually breed real world race winners with it, and I doubt the real cars have simplified physics. Information on why or how this happens is readily available, so remaining a statistic is a personal choice.

Is there any sim that has Sony's funding and massive budget?

Spoiler: the answer is no.

Absolutely, coding has always been a function of money, not ability and will, and big studios have invariably created the best looking games. Crytek (Crysis/Far Cry), 4A Games (Metro 2033), Battlestate Games (Escape From Tarkov) and CD Project Red (Witcher franchise) being a few "obvious" ones. ;)

Last edited:
So you're saying that the physics engine in GT S is up to the same standard as some of the current PC sims?

I don't think it matters if you're quick on a video game. It only teaches track layout, braking points and basic race craft. The guys who qualify for these academy events have to go through rigorous training after to get them up to speed it the real cars.
You could take kart racers instead and accelerate the process. But most kart racers don't come with the sort of budget you get from Polyphony Digital, Sony, Nissan and Nismo...

Just because they have a rich guy backing them doesnt mean much. R3E has KW backing them...

But if you dont have a studio of 500+, all the money in the world wont build a better game. :p

Deep stuff. So I guess that's why the 4 studios I mentioned before (Crytek, Battlestate, 4A Games, and CD Project Red) all made it big in their respective genre, right? Because they were 500+. Or Papyrus, SimBin, Warthog (Richard Burns Rally), ISI/Studio 397? :)

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back