GT Sport Polyphony Digital Secure Porsche Licence For Gran Turismo Sport

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Gran Turismo Sport - Porsche 2.jpg

Polyphony Digital have secured the rights to bring the Porsche brand to the upcoming Gran Turismo Sport game for Sony PlayStation 4.

Absolutely long gone are the days when a Porsche was only seen outside of an Electronic Arts game courtesy of third party modding teams, now Polyphony Digital become the latest race game developers to confirm the German brand will be appearing in one of their games this year with Gran Turismo Sport as the beneficiary.

With Gran Turismo Sport due for release sometime within the current year, gaming giants Polyphony Digital have confirmed a deal has been secured some time ago to bring a selection of Porsche cars to the upcoming FIA endorsed PlayStation 4 racing game. Although exactly which models from the German manufacturers' enviable line up of cars has yet to be revealed, we can already see the 911 GT3 RS in game and looking like a finished product from the images included in this article.

So exciting times ahead for Gran Turismo Sport players as yet another developer manages to snag a once illusive licence that has been missing from sim racing for far too long...

Gran Turismo 6 is the current latest title from Polyphony Digital. GT Sport is scheduled for release during 2017 for Sony PlayStation 4.

Gran Turismo Sport - Porsche.jpg
Gran Turismo Sport - Porsche 3.jpg
Gran Turismo Sport - Porsche 4.jpg
Gran Turismo Sport - Porsche 5.jpg
Gran Turismo Sport - Porsche 6.jpg

Don't forget to check out the Gran Turismo Series sub forum here at RaceDepartment to keep abreast of all the latest news and discussion around these racing games. We have a dedicated section for GT6 and for the upcoming Gran Turismo Sport release, so stay tuned for all the information as and when it becomes available.

Are you happy to see Porsche in GT Sport? What other brands would you like to see added to the game? Which Porsche models do you hope make an appearance? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Remember when we were all losing our minds when AC got Porsche first? Then iRacing got one, and we were still excited? And now that GT S is going t have them, nobody cares.

My only conclusion is that Porsche being free from EA is now considered normal.

Looks great. Polyphony were always second to none in terms of modelling and lighting (at least for premium cars). Hope the sound and physics keep up.

The game looks great and will look great but don't be fooled by some of these pictures, they have a mode in the game where you can take screens of your car on a real photo. The 1st one and the one with the bicycle for exemple is straight up real life with the inclusion of the virtual car.

The game looks great and will look great but don't be fooled by some of these pictures, they have a mode in the game where you can take screens of your car on a real photo. The 1st one and the one with the bicycle for exemple is straight up real life with the inclusion of the virtual car.

Those are all in-game shots (looks good, eh?). Confirmation:
https://www.gtplanet.net/porsche-officially-confirmed-for-gran-turismo-sport/

And the photo mode, as was the case with all GT titles that had one, is using the game's engine. Which is this one, in the case of Sport:

So fooled by what, exactly? And speaking of graphics, is there any PC sim that looks as good as GT Sport, including HDR and wide color support?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Those are all in-game shots (looks good, eh?). Confirmation:
https://www.gtplanet.net/porsche-officially-confirmed-for-gran-turismo-sport/

And the photo mode, as was the case with all GT titles that had one, is using the game's engine. Which is this one, in the case of Sport:

So fooled by what, exactly? And speaking of graphics, is there any PC sim that looks as good as GT Sport, including HDR and wide color support?
Assetto Corsa looks pretty good maxed out in game. Not seen GT S running in front of me to compare yet.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/academy/graduates/

Here's for Assetto Corsa, iRacing and Project CARS to rise up to the challenge.

I think Polyphony had a relationship with Nissan and Nismo before they started GT Academy.
It's an interesting idea though. Who would each of these sim developers team up with?
Would Porsche team up with AC, Mercedes have already worked with Sector 3 on their DTM portion of the sim.

Then there could be a race within the races for best team from the developer squads :thumbsup:

That must be the reason why Gran Turismo is the only videogame that officially takes its players and makes them real world racers and winners of championships. You can find those racers and their wins here:

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/academy/graduates/

Here's for Assetto Corsa, iRacing and Project CARS to rise up to the challenge.

That's a matter of money, doesn't speak one bit about the quality of the game though.

Alex, the only "sim" that comes close to GT S's level of visual detail is Project CARS (and is above AC too). And it's still a mile away.

Speaking of breeding racers through games, all those studios (Kunos, Sector 3, etc) have relationships with car producers. Nissan, for example, is present in all. How it decided to pick and endorse a "console racer" with which to breed real racing champions remains a mistery (to some). After all it's about business and profit, not sympathies, right? And this remains the key point that none of the GT allergics seem to be able to penetrate: GT is the only franchise to prove it can be done.

Last edited:
No, they played Assetto Corsa and iRacing, but because GT physics are exactly the same, they performed well in GT too. You can ask them.

On a more serious note, your question sheds some light on your mentality. Does the set of racing videogames these people played before GT Academy really matter? Or maybe the only relevant thing is that they were ALL made real race winners after being selected according to their performance in Gran Turismo?

When testing for Formula 1 does it matter if you raced in all the smaller formulas progressively, or does your laptime speak for itself, even if you only ever raced karts or lawnmowers before?

Last edited:
And You really belive that those gamers only played GT before the tournament? And that's where they got their driving skills?
GT series have non intrusive assist & the tracks are mostly accurate. It doesn't need to be a full-fledged sim to make good drivers.

As long as the driving skill requirement at the steering is about the same while not being so accurate, with an accurate track layout, it does the job just fine.

Racing drivers got engineer at their side unlike pure sim on PC.

No, they played Assetto Corsa and iRacing, but because GT physics are exactly the same, they performed well in GT too. You can ask them.

Your question sheds some interesting light on your mentality. Does the set of racing videogames these people played before GT Academy really matter? Or maybe the only relevant thing is that they were ALL made real race winners after being selected according to their performance in Gran Turismo?

When testing for Formula 1 does it matter if you raced in all the smaller formulas progressively, or does your laptime speak for itself, even if you only ever raced karts before?

First of all I can see interesting things about Your mentality but I'll keep them to myself.
Second I said nothing about GT, You try to proclaim it the best as it was chosen by Nissan.
And You are right that only the skills matter but most of the guys that succeeded in GT Academy had the skills from the beginning.

Alex, the only "sim" that comes close to GT S's level of visual detail is Project CARS (and is above AC too). And it's still a mile away.

I wasn't saying that Assetto Corsa was better than GT S. Was saying that it looks pretty good and at least I can see it running in game. Not seen GT S running in front of me is what I said.
Also, how can it be a mile away? AC and PC are pretty close in what I've seen.
GT S is running on older tech too so maybe it's AC on console is not looking as good as GT S does on console?

Then you have the physics. In no way can GT have same or better physics than any of the current PC sims. Sorry. My opinion but I've played GT games and they don't feel anything like PC sims.

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back