PC2 Please share you VR (only) experience

Hi,

I am only interested in the VR experience as I don’t see myself playing on 2D again...

Can you please share your experience, specifically how it compares to AC with VR.

Graphics wise, camera (lock to horizon?), motion sickness, how much of the graphics effects and eye candy can be enjoyed (rain, water on track, sun rise/set)...

Thanks!!!

I played pcars2 for around 4 hours last night and if you are using a decent cpu (I use amd FX8350) and a GTX1080, then you can set Supersampling to 1.4 or 1.5 in oculus tray tool to get a very nice and surprisingly clean VR experience (better than pcars1 and also better optimised). There will be many different opinions on the AC/pCars camp. Some say AC looks cleaner, others don't.

I set a race that started on a sunny track, then rain and fog and finally light cloud. The fog looks slightly funky in how it's generated but the whole experience was very impressive. The only thing that spoilt it was that I was slipping and sliding like a loon and the A.I drove on rails. Sure that will get fixed though.

The rain on track and on windows, etc is very excellent. Also snow in windows looks very realistic. wet track is good, puddles are cool. Aquaplaning is now a thing to be aware of.

If you are comfortable with racing sims, you wll be okay. I didn't change any VR settings for horizon lock or anything and I didn't have a single issue. Although reversing still makes me feel a bit odd.

Last edited:
Selected a random race (set by game) at Monza, heavy rain in an open wheel classic lotus' with inters or wets on at start of race. All aids set to "authentic". 4 weather slots, all random for a 10 lap race against 15 opponents (also in Lotus'). Race starts with sun then after 2 or 3 laps, it starts to rain hard. Bye-bye traction. A.I disappears off into the distance.

Also, when the track began to dry, the A.I went into the pits in 2 groups. One group of 7 or 8 on lap 5 then the rest on lap 6. This shot me from 15th to 1st. Not good. I tried this scenario 3 or 4 times and it was always the same.

All I can say is take a Classic lotus (or any vehicle with no TC) to a twisty track in heavy rain and see how you get on. The A.I are a bit slower than usual but shouldn't drive like the track is still dry.

Hmm....i've had a terrible experience so far. i5-4690K with 1080FTW. I can't get 90FPS unless I run at 1.2 or less with medium settings. The anti-aliasing doesn't seem to be working very well as there are a lot of judders and jagged edges. Even at MSAA high, it still isn't clear.

Not sure if it's the engine, optimization or settings but there seem to be quite a few folks with the Rift that aren't having a good experience so far. I'm wondering if there is a bug in the aliasing.

Hmm....i've had a terrible experience so far. i5-4690K with 1080FTW. I can't get 90FPS unless I run at 1.2 or less with medium settings. The anti-aliasing doesn't seem to be working very well as there are a lot of judders and jagged edges. Even at MSAA high, it still isn't clear.

Not sure if it's the engine, optimization or settings but there seem to be quite a few folks with the Rift that aren't having a good experience so far. I'm wondering if there is a bug in the aliasing.
This really is a downer...
I hope I have a b better experience, cause I am not going back to 2D racing :(

I have a 7700K with 1080, so hoping I could get it to run smoothly - although what you are describing seems like a badly implemented AI algorithm...

Selected a random race (set by game) at Monza, heavy rain in an open wheel classic lotus' with inters or wets on at start of race. All aids set to "authentic". 4 weather slots, all random for a 10 lap race against 15 opponents (also in Lotus'). Race starts with sun then after 2 or 3 laps, it starts to rain hard. Bye-bye traction. A.I disappears off into the distance.

Also, when the track began to dry, the A.I went into the pits in 2 groups. One group of 7 or 8 on lap 5 then the rest on lap 6. This shot me from 15th to 1st. Not good. I tried this scenario 3 or 4 times and it was always the same.

All I can say is take a Classic lotus (or any vehicle with no TC) to a twisty track in heavy rain and see how you get on. The A.I are a bit slower than usual but shouldn't drive like the track is still dry.
So this issue is basically bad AI implementation, and not specific for VR - right?

Check out the first minute or so of this online race. It's carnage and it's what I would expect in a wet race. Not the same with A.I at the moment. They have too much grip.
I got it...
It is becoming clear that Online racing is the only way to go at the moment. Offline AI is not well done currently.
But, how is your VR specific experience?
Are you able to get decent Anti-A?
Better than AC image wise?

I read that in game SS isn't working at the moment. Needs to be set in the tray tool. It's never gonna be super clear in VR. The further the view distance, the worse it gets. So cars that are 100metres away are just a blob really. I think its a lot better than pCars1 though. I tend to set a low AA in game (Can't remember which one) and let SS do the work. If you use oculus tray tool, you shouldn't need 90fps as it uses Asynchronous Warping to fill out frame drops. So 45 is okay!! You'll know if it's struggling because you'll see strange watery anomalies. Not sure how else to explain it.

I'm personally not affected by low frame rates in VR. Some people are though so it's all about experimentation.

"I'm personally not affected by low frame rates in VR. Some people are though so it's all about experimentation."

Just to be clear, I don't mean I see everything creep round at 3fps. I mean If the thing slows to a crawl, its not nausea inducing or anything. I just hop out, drop a setting and jump back in.

i have a low end system but am enjoying it immensely. mostly very kind as far as system load. the vr is fantastic and miles ahead of AC. i really only race online so i don't care about AI. certain cars are terrible but that's to be expected. usually a quick tune will sort out stuff like oversteer.

overall it's what i expected AC to be.. cars are tricky but not some ice racing caricature.

So this issue is basically bad AI implementation, and not specific for VR - right?
Yeah it's gonna get fixed but it's gonna take time. Most modern cars don't seem as bad. I ran a race at Hockenheim in V8 supercar in the wet and it wasn't as bad. I kept up with the A.I. for the most part probly due to Traction control in the cars. But A.I. never really made any mistakes.

i have a low end system but am enjoying it immensely. mostly very kind as far as system load. the vr is fantastic and miles ahead of AC. i really only race online so i don't care about AI. certain cars are terrible but that's to be expected. usually a quick tune will sort out stuff like oversteer.

overall it's what i expected AC to be.. cars are tricky but not some ice racing caricature.
I agree, it seems much, much better optimised than pCars1 and graphically, slightly superior on the base modelling. If i had "Crowds" on in pCars1, there was a pretty hefty performance hit. Not so in pcars2. I haven't thought about switching them off at all.

i can run 1080p almost 100% of the time which is great for me until i can swing a graphics card upgrade (1050ti currently, i5-2500)
Yeah, I only ever played in 1080 so the switch to VR was probably less jarring than someone coming from 4K, say. Sometimes, mainly if i'm tired, I really notice the screen door effect. Not enough to bother me but it's more noticeable. Most or all of the time, i don't care though. I think VR is just amazing if done correctly. Luckily, in Pcars it is.

agreed. i'm old so i remember the birth of gaming and these "kids" today have no idea how great they have it lol

"this game sucks because i can't run everything in super ultra double mega HD and i think the physics on the raindrops are terrible" give me a break..:rolleyes: is it fun? then just play already!!

agreed. i'm old so i remember the birth of gaming and these "kids" today have no idea how great they have it lol

"this game sucks because i can't run everything in super ultra double mega HD and i think the physics on the raindrops are terrible" give me a break..:rolleyes: is it fun? then just play already!!
Haha! Me too. I remember playing the first Elite game on an old Commodore 64. 5fps if I was lucky with just wireframes. Still awesome though. I tried a Pseudo vr game in the early 80's. 3rd person racing game using a box that was held up to the eyes. Probably very basic. Couldn't afford it but I never forgot it. I'm glad it's come back full force and properly done in my lifetime.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back