Please help me choose a gaming pc!

For the love of GabeN, please don't even think about buying a prebuilt computer. It won't do you any good, both price and performance wise. :)
Tom

@Tom Endres I'll have to disagree on this. Big time now in the UK.

Since 1993 I have been building and supplying performance or gaming PC's (even when a 486DX2 was considered a bad boy). I did this first as a hobby and pastime and then as a business. But in the last few years, it has become less of an advantage to source the parts and build your own from scratch. (a different idea if you are upgrading a gaming tower and utilising some parts).
Firstly you buy all the parts at the best price you can get them. You then build the PC and find one or two components are faulty. Start the returns and hassle factor right there. This is how it was and is. It is a nice feeling having built it your self though.

Now move on to these days; The last two gaming PC builds I did (for myself) lasted from 2006-2010 and 2010 - 2013. They then became reasonable gaming PC's but dated and not totally upgradeable due to new motherboard, and Bios design etc.
Then last year I decided to build a nice moderatly modern up to date medium performance gaming PC again. Chose all the parts I wanted including CPU watercooling and GTX770 card, 16 mb fast ram, windows 7, SSD (vital for the operating system these days, so much faster) 2 tb hard drive, bluray drive, DVD rewriter, MSI gaming MB and Intel -i5-4670K CPU and a nice well made Coolermaster tower with large fans and easy drive fitment bays etc and a 750 watt modular PSU, extra front USB and card reader slots.
This lot came to just below my budget of £1000 pounds at the time.
Then I went to SCAN and looked at their custom built 3XS systems. You specify what you want and they build it, test it and deliver it. Not only that, they warranty it for a year and it does not matter what you add to it either after getting it. Then they overclocked it to a nice and stable and safe 4.4 ghz and overclocked the graphics card too and guarantee this overclock under warranty. They then soak test the whole PC running mem tests, graphic tests, CPU tests etc.

Then they deliver it. I just plugged it in and hey presto it's done. Superb.

I inspected the build quality when I got it and I was flabbergasted. The build was superb, even better than my standards. All cabling neatly placed behind the MB, free flow of air around all components and the PC was setup exactly as I wanted it. And it it was fast. Windows boot up in 20-30 seconds.

And the best part of all this, the price came to exactly £100 pounds more than if I had bought the parts myself (and I get them from various sources depending on costs). But this was fully built and warranted. You cannot beat that. So from now on I am willing to forego the self build process for a little extra spend. It's worth it.

Hope this helps anyone thinking about it. Over the years I have built hundreds of PC's and the odd component will always be faulty and you spend many hours diagnosing what's wrong. Get others to do it for you within your specs and you can't go wrong, not now it's nearly as cheap as doing it yourself.

Last edited:
Well Andy's last message has threw a spanner in the works. Now i dont know what to do haha

Look on SCAN's website at the 3xs systems and virtually build one. Or pick a ready specced one. Good prices. Very well built. Built to better standards than most gamers normally build themselves.

ps, you also get the manuals, instructions, disks, and even the boxes of the individual components if you request them. :)

@Andy Jackson You're talking abou custom built rigs, I'm talking about prebuilt ones. :)

But they are pre built before you actually get it. ;) :) Just with a bit more care and attention. Performance would not change much depending on the specs you choose. Pre built, custom or self build. If they have the same CPU and GPU, performance won't be that much different. Obviously overclocking will be easier on the customs jobbies.

But they are pre built before you actually get it. ;) :) Just with a bit more care and attention. Performance would not change much depending on the specs you choose. Pre built, custom or self build. If they have the same CPU and GPU, performance won't be that much different. Obviously overclocking will be easier on the customs jobbies.
Yeah well, prebuilt - to most people including me - is the crap that you're getting at a supermarket. Or Dell. Kind of the same! :p

Custom built PCs which are put together using the parts you specifically chose...whole different ball game. :)

Screenshot_2014-12-19-22-19-07.png
Screenshot_2014-12-19-22-19-22.png
Evening all

I have finally decided on the following from scan. I click the buy button and presented with the following screen asking about RAID configuration. I have no idea what this means

Can anybody help?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 355 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%
  • < 5 years