1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Playseat, Butt Kicker (used with Oculus Rift) modification

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by ThugUK, Jul 5, 2016.

1. I have a Play Seat and Butt Kicker (actually a Pearl Throne Thumper) I use on my PC racing games (Project cars and Assetto Corsa) with VR (Oculus Rift) and wanting some help/advice on upgrading it.

At the moment its sat on the bedroom/computer room floor upstairs and when the Butt Kicker kicks in it vibrates quite badly down stairs.

At the moment I have it sat on foam to soak the vibrations up, but this has now compressed.

I was thinking of mounting the full gaming chair on springs. This would have 2 advantages, firstly it would soak up the vibrations, but it would also create more movement when the Butt Kicker activates, giving a better feeling of movement.

My question is, how/where (UK) can I get hold of springs and how can I mount them?

I thought possibly car engine valve springs (and washers). I could drill a hole through the wood and place a bolt through it, but not fasten it (to allow free movement), then attach the springs underneath. I would probably need around 6 for the seat (3 either side) and 2 for the front (as there is not much weight there). The problem is I don't know what strength of springs to use as it would be trial and error.
    I then need to get hold of these springs/washers as cheap as possible.