Pirelli: 'Taking Situation Very Seriously'

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Nico Rosberg has given Mercedes its first victory in the British Grand Prix since 1955 with first place at Silverstone.

The were a number of rear-left tyre failures during the race, which affected Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton, Felipe Massa (Ferrari), Jean-Eric Vergne (Toro Rosso) and Sergio Perez (McLaren). Pirelli engineers will investigate closely the cause of the failures ahead of next week’s German Grand Prix.

Pirelli’s motorsport director Paul Hembery said: “There have obviously been some issues with rear-left tyre failures which we have not seen before. We are taking the situation very seriously and we are currently investigating all tyres to determine the cause as soon as possible, ahead of the next Grand Prix in Germany. At the moment, we can’t really say much more until we have fully investigated and analysed all of these incidents, which is our top priority. However, we can exclude that the new bonding process, which we introduced at this race, is at cause for the tyre failures we have seen today. There might be some aspect to this circuit that impacts specifically on the latest version of our 2013 specification tyres but at this point we do not want to speculate but will now put together all the evidence to find out what happened and then take appropriate next steps should these be required.”

Pirelli Press
View the Post on the Blog

They have to change it to what they initially wanted to before Lotus blocked them. Otherwise we could have a situation like Indy 2005 where most of the grid go on a strike.

I really don't know why to blame SFI and Lotus for not allowing Pirelli to change the tires. Pirelli never stated to the teams that there is a saftey concern. They brought a modified tire to Montreal and wanted the teams opinion. If they want to use that tire during the race they need all the teams to agree.
So tell me why should teams agree to that if they are a) fine with the current tires and b) there is no saftey issue.

If however Pirelli admits to the FIA that there is a saftey concern, they are allowed to change the tires without asking permission of the teams I belive.

I find it a bit odd that after the "illegal" tire test with Mercedes that they're having tire delamination issues. On another tire note, am I the only one that noticed that Alonso started on the opt when he qualified on the primes. I thought they couldn't change the tires they set a time on and if they did they got a grid penalty. Am I missing something?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 76 12.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 55 8.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 63 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 37 6.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 91 14.7%