Pirelli and Mercedes Reprimanded

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
After yesterday's hearing of the International Tribunal the FIA has announced that both Pirelli and Mercedes will be reprimanded and that the German Formula 1 team will be suspended from participating in the forthcoming “three day young driver training test".

In a press release issued by the FIA the decisions are explained:

The FIA duly notes the decision handed down today by the FIA International Tribunal against Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team and Pirelli Tyres.

This decision follows (i) the disciplinary proceedings instigated by the FIA, on the basis in particular of the report by the Stewards of the Monaco Grand Prix, forwarded to the FIA following the two protests made by Scuderia Ferrari Team and Red Bull Racing respectively, and (ii) the hearing that took place yesterday before the International Tribunal with the participation of all the parties concerned.

The FIA wishes that lessons are learnt from this case and from the decision handed down. To this end, the FIA will make sure, in association with all F1 teams, that its control of the testings is strengthened.

It is recalled that the notification of the FIA International Tribunal's decision opens to each of the parties concerned the possibility of bringing an appeal against this decision before the FIA International Court of Appeal within 7 days.

Read the full decision document (PDF) here

On their official website Mercedes responds with the following statement:

The MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS Formula One Team acknowledges and accepts the Decision of the FIA International Tribunal published today.

The Decision of the International Tribunal confirmed that the team acted in good faith regarding the Pirelli Tests, never intended to obtain any unfair sporting advantage and had no reason to believe that approval for the Pirelli Tests had not been given.

Mercedes accepts the proportionate penalties of a reprimand and suspension from the forthcoming Young Driver Test that have been decided upon by the Tribunal.

Mercedes would like to once again restate its firm belief in proper due process and commend the FIA for the principle of an independent disciplinary body.

The team would furthermore like to thank the International Tribunal and its President for the fair hearing it received yesterday.

In the best interests of the sport, the team does not intend to avail itself of any right to appeal the Decision.

Mercedes looks forward to working with the FIA and its fellow competitors to establish a more rigorous procedure for testing in the future, particularly to support the appointed tyre supplier.

We now wish to bring this matter to a close and focus on the forthcoming British and German Grands Prix, both of which are important home races for the team.
View the Post on the Blog

PDF missing: Page not found

The requested page "/sites/default/files/press_release/file/%20IT-2013-01%20-Decision%20%20EN%20.pdf" could not be found.

What are the actual reprimands? Sorry bitch and moan but there like 3 lines in total that talks about penalties in a very broad manor (on the intro and not broadening any further on the main body of text..) and the rest is just, well.. Not what the headline is, IMHO... Mercedes and Pirelli are sorry is the main "news" with a brief mention of the reprimands..

If it was an other non works team, then I think it could have been alot more harsh. Not really a penalty is it.

Bet Horner is twitching away now, his foot thrashing away..... :D

By the way, does anyone know if those reprimands actually mean anything? Especially for Pirelli, what can the FIA even do to them in case of a repeat offense? Revoke Paul Hembery's paddock access? :p

I wonder what that benefit is, they are slow as ever.

It's completely impossible to do 1000km of testing and not learn anything from it. It doesn't even necessarily have to be about the tyres. At the very least you gain confidence over your reliability.
Also, they took 62 points out of the two races after the test, only 8 less than RB and more than any other team. So I fail to see how they are supposed to be slow.

The plot of this scandal was well thought, but the execution was horrid. Furthermore, the ending was predictable and lacked punch.

3/10. Mercedes, Pirelli and the FIA will have to work harder for their next scandal.

And seriously, there was no way Mercedes would get a big penalty.

If it was an other non works team, then I think it could have been alot more harsh. Not really a penalty is it.

Bet Horner is twitching away now, his foot thrashing away..... :D
I don't really think so, the way I see it and the way the press releases explain it looks to me atleast like a just punishment.
Im sure the FIA were some what nervous of pissing off Damlier too much but I think its clear the FIA misshandled the whole situation.

As far as what they learned from this test? Well if you're doing a tyre test you're going to have to have a nonchanging flatbed, you don't go around adding and changing things to the car. One article said that the team ran the car as it was run in the race. Saying that they atleast have better knowledge of their cars endurance aswell as their drivers getting some practice but theres no regulation of whom is in the driver seat (the exception to this is at the Young Driver tests).

Young Driver tests give the opportunity for teams to go nuts with testing, so I think the punishment fit the crime.

Brawn found a grey area in the rules, and expoited it, thats the name of the game.

Reading the full decision gives you a better idea of what went down.

It does't. I've never gone about criticising any teams view on what the rules mean, in fact im one of those people who enjoy the way the rules can be interpreted by each team.

I can't talk for everyone else.

The verdict is an absolute joke if you ask me. Basically a free ticket for Pirelli and Merc.

Agree.
If the punishment is no Young Driver Test for the involved team and a "reprimand" (whatever that means to FIA), then:

1. It's the unfairest punishment in history since one of the more affected parts are... yes, young drivers. Guys, possibly future promises, that had nothing to do with Mercedes' illegal test. Yes, illegal. I don't see that "gray part" in the rules in this case. It's blatantly illegal: 2013 car with official drivers, no FIA stewards watching it since there was no official permission from FIA... Gray area in the rules? Really?
  2. Every team now would consider making a three-days test with Pirelli (and not just for the sake of knowing Pirelli tyres better, but also for the other tests you can do: reliability, new parts) as long as it's done under the same conditions and obviously with the same punishment.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 245 15.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 166 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 161 9.8%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 122 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 228 13.9%