PING 5000

F

Fursty

• Fursty

I am trying to host a game and my ping shows up to others as 5000. What am I doing wrong?

The reason I am pointing the finger at Win7 is that I have successfully used this router to host Race 07 servers in the past. The only difference between then and now is that I was using WinXP. Back then I didn't even need to forward any ports or mess about with the firewall. It just worked, right off the bat. Ping showed normally for me and everyone else, and we were all able to join without issue.

Today I got rid of everything and started from scratch. Opened the ports, started a DS, ping still 5000 in the game. I tried joining anyway, and it let me do so. However, the ping was also 5000 for my friend and he was not able to join.

The logs are already active, but all they do is tell me when incoming packets match the firewall rules. Going through the list there was not a single message saying that there was a non-match. To me that suggests all Race 07 related packets are making it past the router.

My AV software does not monitor network traffic, and the entire folder in which I install my games (and Steam) is already marked as an exception. Disabling my AV entirely had no affect.

I tried separating the joint TCP/UDP rule into two rules as Andrew suggested, but there was no affect.

The reason I am pointing the finger at Win7 is that I have successfully used this router to host Race 07 servers in the past. The only difference between then and now is that I was using WinXP. Back then I didn't even need to forward any ports or mess about with the firewall. It just worked, right off the bat. Ping showed normally for me and everyone else, and we were all able to join without issue.
Did you perhaps set a private windows 7 networkgroup? Can't think of the exact name at this moment, and my windows 7 machine isn't on.

Today I got rid of everything and started from scratch. Opened the ports, started a DS, ping still 5000 in the game. I tried joining anyway, and it let me do so. However, the ping was also 5000 for my friend and he was not able to join.
This shows the LAN function works fine. However, did you join from the same machine as the dedi host? Or did you use 2 different machines? Makes a difference.

The logs are already active, but all they do is tell me when incoming packets match the firewall rules. Going through the list there was not a single message saying that there was a non-match. To me that suggests all Race 07 related packets are making it past the router.
Please check the same in the event view from Windows. There could be a message there if it's windows related.

My AV software does not monitor network traffic, and the entire folder in which I install my games (and Steam) is already marked as an exception. Disabling my AV entirely had no affect.
I do not think that's it. But can't be sure offcourse. As turning off did not work, I think it's safe to leave it on.

All in all a tough one Ross :) One test makes me think it's the router, the other test says its windows. In principle, if you can connect over the lan to a different machine running a dedi server, the firewall of windows shouldn't be the issue. I am 90% sure it's the router, OR the ISP offcourse. It COULD be that he blocked the ports. You could take a look at their website, and/or send them an inquiring email. Just ask them if they allow the hosting of a dediserver game.

Did you perhaps set a private windows 7 networkgroup?

It's set to 'home network', which I understand leaves things pretty open. I have not set a homegroup.

This shows the LAN function works fine. However, did you join from the same machine as the dedi host? Or did you use 2 different machines?

Both. The first time my PC was the host and the client, the second time my laptop was the host and my PC was the client.

Please check the same in the event view from Windows. There could be a message there if it's windows related.

I see nothing in the logs whatsoever regarding network or firewall activity.

OR the ISP offcourse. It COULD be that he blocked the ports. You could take a look at their website, and/or send them an inquiring email. Just ask them if they allow the hosting of a dediserver game.

My ISP has been the same for around five years. As well as hosting Race 07 in the past I have hosted other games too without issue. There is nothing on their website about blocked ports.

Getting pretty fed up with this, to be honest. It shouldn't be this damn hard to host a game online, particularly when no other games I own are affected by this issue.

All online port checkers that I've tried are saying that the ports are closed. It's not just gaming ports though, as they also claim that HTTP ports, email ports and IM ports are also closed, which they clearly are not since I am here, I can access my email, and I can chat to people on MSN. This is the case even when my PC/laptop is in DMZ mode.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

i dont have a static ip and maybe i did it wrong but had bigger problems when i tried to set one up... was having probs with kart race pro and d/server...i went back to previous setting and it worked ok i also have win7 x64 ( different game but same results, )
i did the same started from scratch with my internet connection.. re-installed Lan card etc...
if i use my kpn modem i cant play modern warfare 2 online it worked with xp but not with win 7 same modem...same settings

Yeah, exactly... worked perfectly well under XP, but refuses to work under any circumstances under Win7. My PC, my router and my ISP are all exactly the same as they were. Other than running Win7 now, the only other thing that has changed is that Race 07 has had two patches since I last hosted.

I can do a test on my gaming PC. That one has Win7 on it, so I can with minimum effort put that one in the router as my dedicated. Have to check what the results will be.

First, I have to do my home responisbilities :) Have to give the rabbits a clean place again, and have to prepare for this afternoon (little girl is celebrating her 6th birthday). But I will find a gap somewhere in time ;) and update here.

Just did a test with the Win7 PC. In my router, I changed the port forwarding to the other IP address for ports: TCP+UDP 48942 – 48957 and UDP 26900-26907.
Further I checked the Win firewall to see if the Race Dediserver program was allowed to access the outside, which it is.

It then worked like a charm. Can connect over WAN and LAN to it.

Did you check if, in the firewall rules, the ALLOW rule's for Race are indeed ACTIVE? You can turn rules on and off there.
Further, I am going to take another look at the manual of your router. Can't stand the fact that it's not working :p

edit:
In the manual, this line was found:
Logs security incidents
The DG834PN will log security events such as blocked incoming traffic, port scans, attacks,
and administrator logins. You can configure the ADSL modem wireless router to e-mail the
log to you at specified intervals. You can also configure the ADSL modem wireless router to
send immediate alert messages to your e-mail address or e-mail pager whenever a significant
event occurs

Still have to see where to set the logging active, but it must be possible. I am so sure it's the firewall in the router.... Looking further :)

Another interesting section:
Order of Precedence for Rule

For any traffic attempting to pass through the firewall, the packet information is subjected to the
rules in the order shown in the Rules Table, beginning at the top and proceeding to the default rules
at the bottom. In some cases, the order of precedence of two or more rules may be important in
determining the disposition of a packet. The Move button allows you to relocate a defined rule to a
new position in the table

Have you checked the order of the rules? If the block all rule is on top, it will block all, despite the rules you create yourself.

Bandwidth has nothing to do with the number of port forwarding slots your router has. If you only have 12, that is a limitation of the router. The key to making sure that port forwarding works is to be sure that the ports are sent to the correct computer on a network that has multiple computers. If you miss that step it is hard to say where the ports will be forwarded.

Before I answer your questions, I'd just like to say thanks very much Marco. The effort you're putting in to try and help me get this working is very much appreciated!

Did you check if, in the firewall rules, the ALLOW rule's for Race are indeed ACTIVE? You can turn rules on and off there.

Yep, they're all definitely set to allow and all currently active. That applies to both the rules that were automatically created (which supposedly allow the game and Steam to use any port they like) and the ones I have created myself for the specific ports they require. Yes, I have tried it both with and without the custom rules.

Logs security incidents
The DG834PN will log security events such as blocked incoming traffic, port scans, attacks,
and administrator logins...

All that stuff is already enabled, though I don't get it emailed to me as I can view the logs from my router's config pages. The only things showing in the logs at the moment are when I log in, and when incoming traffic matches one of the rules I have created for the game (when the DS is running). Nothing is being blocked, according to the logs.

Order of Precedence for Rule
For any traffic attempting to pass through the firewall, the packet information is subjected to the
rules in the order shown in the Rules Table, beginning at the top and proceeding to the default rules
at the bottom...

Have you checked the order of the rules? If the block all rule is on top, it will block all, despite the rules you create yourself.

The default 'block' rule is always at the bottom and cannot be accidentally moved above anything else. The only other rules in the table are the ones for Race 07.

You surely must be running out of ideas by now, Marco? :p

Jim Cole said:
Bandwidth has nothing to do with the number of port forwarding slots your router has. If you only have 12, that is a limitation of the router.

I believe Rupe was referring to the number of grid slots his bandwidth can comfortably handle, not the number of port forwarding slots he has.

It's quite possible that this problem has finally been FIXED!

I went all the way back to the beginning. I deleted all Race 07 local files from my laptop and let Steam reinstall both the game and DS. I hit the reset button on my router to put it back to factory defaults, and set it all up again. I set my laptop as the DMZ (ie, all ports open). I checked the Win7 firewall to ensure that R07 and Steam were allowed through (rules created automatically when you run the game/DS, not custom rules). I put a server online.

Checking it from my PC the ping was yet again shown as 5000, but I was able to connect anyway. I left the server running and the same friend that was unable to connect before has just tried again. The ping for him showed up as 91 and he was able to connect and drive without issue. Hallelujah!

I just hope it stays working and was not come kind of fluke. I also have no idea why the ping is still showing as 5000 for me.

im having problems with the same thing my ISP KPN has just updated me to VDSL and no matter what i do i cant get my ping under 5000 when looking at my d server.... i had it all working great with adsl and my linksy wag160n ....
now i have to use there experia box ZTE H220n... i have managed to open ports i can even use the DMZ but its still shows a ping of 5000... i use this to check my ports are open...http://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm download and it pings your modem.. you can also check to see it its a firewall problem..... ive had all 3 green and still ping is over 5000... ive a second pc also to run my d/server same again ... 5000 ping..
I think my problem is the internal firewall in the modem/router... it cannot be changed and set to high...KPN will not change it ...
But i can get a new VDSL router modem that i can fully control...
but i did find this
Home Steam Troubleshoot and How-To's Troubleshooting Connection Issues Troubleshooting Network Connectivity
Main Menu
Troubleshooting Network Connectivity
Question
Troubleshooting Network Connectivity Issues
Required Ports for Steam
Known Issues with Internet Service Providers (ISPs)
Answer
Important:
Before proceeding with troubleshooting, please check the Steam Server Status page to ensure the issue which you are encountering is not related to system-wide downtime. (If you encounter any timeout errors when attempting to access Steam sites, it is very likely that there is a system-wide issue and Steam will not be accessible until the issue is resolved)

Troubleshooting Network Connectivity Issues
Please follow the steps below to diagnose network connectivity issues within Steam:
Test Your Router
Before trying anything else:
Try bypassing your router by connecting your computer directly to your modem.
If the issue disappears after bypassing your router, please refer to the Using a Router with Steam topic for instructions on configuring your router.
Note: running your router in DMZ mode is not supported by Steam and may result in connection issues.
Additionally, wireless connections are not recommended for online gaming. To ensure reliability, make sure you are using a wired connection to the internet while playing online.
Troubleshoot all Firewalls
See the Using a Firewall with Steam topic for instructions to properly configure your firewall for Steam.
Note: If you are installing Steam for the first time or Steam has recently been updated, a firewall may be preventing Steam from connecting to the Steam Network - even if Steam worked correctly before the update was applied.
Disable Background Applications
Review the Programs Which May Interfere With Steam and reconfigure, disable or uninstall any programs which may be preventing Steam and Valve games from connecting.
Viruses, Trojans, Adware and Spyware
Scan your computer for Spyware, Adware, and Viruses Interfering with Steam.
Power Cycle Your Network Hardware
If the issue persists, unplug your modem and router, wait a few seconds, then plug them back in. Sometimes, these devices simply need to be refreshed.
Try Launching Steam using TCP
Start Steam with the "-tcp" launch option. Please see the Setting Steam Launch Options topic for instructions.

Required Ports for Steam
All required ports to run the Steam application are listed here. It is possible that other games available on Steam will require further ports to be available

ive always used the dmz with no problems....
steam ports to open
Required Ports for Steam

Question

Which ports do I need to open on my router or firewall for Steam?

Answer

Your network must be configured to allow Steam access to the following ports (in order from highest to lowest priority for QoS users):
Steam Client

• UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)
  • UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)
  • TCP 27014 to 27050 inclusive (Steam downloads)
  • UDP 4380

Dedicated or Listen Servers

• TCP 27015 (SRCDS Rcon port)

Steamworks P2P Networking and Steam Voice Chat

• UDP 3478 (Outbound)
  • UDP 4379 (Outbound)
  • UDP 4380 (Outbound)

just done a fresh win 7 install.. all fully updated.. at the moment it has no sercurity at all.... ive installed race 07 d/server and i still have a ping of 5000.... Does this mean now it can only be my router/modem... (kpn's finest Experia Box yet... the ZTE H220n)
Pleas bear in mind that i did have all this up and running with my linkys.. think its time to buy a new router modem..:)

Do you have 2 computers there Rupe?

If so, try to connect via the second one, over the LAN. If that works, it is indeed the internet connection (which I definatly expect it to be considering the facts in your post).

Google is full of notifications on the Experia box, including a note that KPN is blocking steam. Not sure if thats still true, as it is an old topic I read it in. I even found a topic of yourself :)

How do you connect the box? Is it via cable, and if so, do you use a straight or cross cable?
What happens if you download via Steam. Does that work correctly?
Do you know which brand it is? I suspect it's a Thompson, but which type?
Can you post or send me a photo of the info sticker on the device so I can look a bit deeper?

Hello Marco, yep i can connect through the LAN side of the game yep its all wire connections 2 pc sepereate into the back of experia box no1 no 4 light are green no wireless ..its turned off...I used the disk that came with the experai box to set up Network and then added second pc...
ive also the same probs with gp bikes ds and kartrace pro ds.. to much of a coincidence
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/ZTE/H220N/default.htm this is the router modem... its the latest thing from KPN
http://tweakers.net/nieuws/70268/kpn-komt-met-nieuwe-experia-boxen-en-twee-settopboxen.html....
it has the same setup procedures as before with a KPN profile that's has locked the firewall... it wont let you create a new name for the user but you can set a password..
steam and everything works great was downloading steam games onto the second pc at 3.5 meg and with a speed test i get 30 down and 3 up ... i feel its the same as the other experia boxes thew work great until you want to run a server .. im even now having problems setting up a home group lost that with the new router modem not since clean install... maybe ill try a clean install on my first pc... i did delete all old unused networks and then did a merge... i can view the pc public folders in my network from both pc's each way....

oh and i run the second pc in offline mode when running server so i can have steam connected on first pc.. ive tried it both ways and with each game.... same results.. this did work before with linkys modem

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back