Physics battle: R3E vs PCars

Owing to an injury, I've so far only played PCars with a gamepad and I've only played DTMExperience (not even R3E) for a few hours max so I'm not yet in a good position to judge which of the above games has the better physics.

Some of you must surely have opinions, and the necessary experience, on this topic to enlighten me.

What do you reckon? Does one game clearly have better physics? Are they at a similar level?

I'd love to know...

Agreed. But I don't think he understands. It's his opinion or no opinion.

To repeat what's been said

Emerson thinks that unless you own an FFB wheel, you cannot hold an opinion on the quality of the physics/handling in car games - that is his 'opinion' (an opinion on what other people's opinions are worth - classy man!)

I suggested there was no truth in what he said - whatever your control method, you're clearly experiencing the game and can hold an opinion on that experience.

Doesn't matter which controls are 'better' - they're both valid and people can enjoy them as-far-as-they-go - and share those experiences with others.

I've not really posted an opinion - I've simply suggested people have their own. I also suggested we be a bit more inclusive in our hobby - after all, without pad players you're SoL for any new racing games anytime soon because there ain't the money to make em!

To repeat what's been said

Emerson thinks that unless you own an FFB wheel, you cannot hold an opinion on the quality of the physics/handling in car games - that is his 'opinion' (an opinion on what other people's opinions are worth - classy man!)

I suggested there was no truth in what he said - whatever your control method, you're clearly experiencing the game and can hold an opinion on that experience.

Doesn't matter which controls are 'better' - they're both valid and people can enjoy them as-far-as-they-go - and share those experiences with others.

I've not really posted an opinion - I've simply suggested people have their own. I also suggested we be a bit more inclusive in our hobby - after all, without pad players you're SoL for any new racing games anytime soon because there ain't the money to make em!
You're right about Emerson being an elitist mod edit though but I'm on his ignored list so he won't see this.

It's interesting to see this post as me and a buddy just did some physics and ffb "testing" last night. Let me begin by saying that I am not a gamer. I'm an older guy that did not grow up playing vdeo games. My first driving game was Forza 4 which I acquired after a younger friend gave me his old xbox 360. I picked up a used copy of Forza 4 and started playing with the controller; I hated it, there were many rage quit sessions when i first started. I eventually got somewhat used to it but I certainly didn't enjoy it. I then moved up to the xbox wireless wheel and instantly found a new enjoyment because it was natural and intuitive.

Since then I have had a Fanatec CSR wheel and now a Thrustmaster T300. In talking to my buddies, I would complain that Iracing seemed to have a numb feeling compared to my other sims. There isn't much indication of tire grip or under and oversteer. Until recently, P CARS was even worse for me because every car was numb and every track felt like I was driving on glass. I have since made FFB adjustments and now have it where I can feel the road and dynamics of the cars so I can enjoy the game. My buddy has a Logitech g25 and couldn't understand what I was saying as his experience with Iracing and other sims is completely different.

Long story short, after running each sim back to back on my wheel, he agreed that on my wheel, Iracings physics and ffb is completely dfferent than the other sims. But on his wheel, Iracing is more communicative but the other sims don't feel as good as my T300.

So my point is that although personal preference plays a big part in what is considered good or bad physics, there is also a hardware/software component to all of this too. Every game is going to have it's own ffb physics engine and that engine is going to work diffeently on different wheels. I work in IT and undertand how the nuances of hardware/software combinations can effect the user experience.

To an earlier posters point, sim racing is supposed to simulate the driving experience. So with that in mind, those of us who enjoy it, want to be as immersed in the simuation experience as possible. For me personally, that means using a wheel over a controller since that is the natural device used to steer a car. But I have friends that can wipe the floor of most with a controller but they will admit that they are gaming and not sim driving. To me, this is not a right or wrong topic, it simply comes down to preference. I have a gaming chair that I absolutely love but my buddies say the rumble of the sub woofers when they drive over bumps or rumble strips is a distraction to them....to each their own.

Of the sims I have my ranking of overall immersion/enjoying is...Corsa, Raceroom, R Factor 2, P CARS, Dirt Rally; With Iracing being in a separate category as it has the best multiplayer racing hands down. I stil play Forza 4 and Horizons 2 with my wireless wheel as I still enjoy the arcade experience they provide.

Last edited:
In terms of physics, PCars may be the worst experience between the called simulators, but I don't know why: I keep playing it:). Maybe because of the looks, the dynamic weather and time, the great host of cars and tracks, the career and the fact you can easy find a online lobby with many people to play.
Even R3E gives a better feeling when driving a car (especially WTCC 2014:thumbsup:), not to mention AC (Green Hell rules;)), GSCE, RF2. But for casual fun offline and online, PCars still keeps me coming back.

I agree with you W_Akira, PCARS has the worst overall feel to me yet I enjoy playing it. It's like dating a pretty female just for her looks. The other sims offer better conversation but that damn PCARS keeps drawing me back to her. lol

I don't believe either PCars or R3E is the best sim but I also think they're both damn fun to drive.

If you're concerned about pure vehicle dynamics then a mix of mostly the ISI engine (especially RF2) with some Netkar Pro and oversteer dynamics of Live For Speed would be very close to real life.

Fantasies aside, if your concerned with vehicle dynamics then get rFactor 2, or at-least Stock Car Extreme.

The best people to judge physics are not sim-racers but racing drivers. I have never understood the why some simracers feel they are better qualified to judge, except that a driver's involvement in a "rival" sim to their personal favourite is seen as a "threat" to that favourite sim.. OK perhaps paid driver endorsements have clouded the issue in the past , and of course the involvement of a racing driver will not change your basic physics engine, but the cynicism some show to real racing drivers getting involved is disappointing.

Luckily, sim racing developers don't share this cynicism and nearly all of them use driver input where they can get it. Yesterday's video on S3S ADAC 2015 physics was very interesting. Just as Rene Rast helped SMS develop their Audi A8, Kelvin van der Linde has helped S3S develop their ADAC 2015 Audi, and the other cars in the series.

It is clear this is not simply a driver endorsement - he is critical of the existing ADAC physics. The driver involvement has brought not only feedback on how the physics should feel but technical data from the team to use in the physics and feedback on areas of set-up, such as what isn't adjustable and the ranges of adjustment.

By all accounts, ADAC 2015 will be a big step forward in terms of physics realism for R3E.

Last edited:
Ya, real life drivers obviously is nice to have to develop a sim. I'm sure most people know that.

You don't have to be a pro driver to be able to understand vehicle dynamics especially, as is the case sometimes, when some issues are so obvious that you don't even have to ever have been in a car in your entire life as the issue can easily be observed visually in the general vehicle dynamics of any car being run on a particular physics engine.

Last edited:
To be honest no racing simulator that can purchased on PC or any console feels like real life or is 100% accurate to real life physics so go with what "sim" that is the most fun to play in this comparison. No matter which title you choose your not gonna go wrong.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back