Photoshop Alternative

• Thread starter Deleted member 236927
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 236927

• Deleted member 236927

Hi, my old laptop died few weeks ago and I just bought another used laptop which have AMD processor and Radeon HD6250M graphics (old one had intel cpu and radeon graphics). I used only photoshop in my old laptop to create and modify livery and photoshop was very handy for that job, but my photoshop crashes in this machine and tried everything to fix this but no luck. I believe Nvidia plug-in is the culprit as windows event viewer shows the plug-in issue.
I'm looking for a photoshop alternative, free or paid, that can handle DDS file like photoshop. I tried GIMP but it's too complex. other alternative I found are Paint.NET and Paintshop Pro. I have not used them but if anyone familiar with any of those or have any suggestion please reply.
just so you know I have tried few versions of photoshop e.g. CS6, CC 2015 and CC 2014 updated with windows 7 32bit. graphics driver and windows are up to date.
Thanks

I don't quite understand how you used Photoshop if GIMP is too complex. With any program you'll need some time to get used to it. Nothing is exactly like Photoshop.

GIMP has a pretty similar structure to Photoshop, since its a freeware it obviously can't be as good as Photoshop though. But despite lackiing something here and there and it's the way to go in my opinion.
I only got my hands on Photoshop recently, i used GIMP before. I think all stuff i've uploaded here was done with that program.

Paint.net is used the alternative, didn't get used to it and was hapier with GIMP, but it's also a good program.

The closest to Photoshop comes Affinity Photo. Affinity photo is a professional program and an competitor of Photoshop, costs less than 60 bucks. Affinity is pretty new and but is starting to give Adobe some pressure. They will produce a series of programs like Adobe has with Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and co.
While Adobe switched to their subscription model and is quite expensive, Affinity offers you a pay one time, have the program.
Havent used it so far, but i only hear positive stuff from it.

• Deleted member 236927

Thanks for reply, GIMP is good software but I don't wanna go through all the tutorials to use GIMP before I find any similar application like photoshop. I'll check Affinity if it supports Nvidia texture tool. thanks

Thanks for reply, GIMP is good software but I don't wanna go through all the tutorials to use GIMP before I find any similar application like photoshop. I'll check Affinity if it supports Nvidia texture tool. thanks
Ah whoops. Im sorry, i must have only skimmed your post.

I belive Affinity does not support dds files yet. GIMP and paint.net do.

There is a GIMP mod to restructure UI elements to be more like Photoshop. The DDS support that the plugin I use provides seems to work flawlessly.

I also don't see why you wouldn't just ditch the NVidia plugin from your old Photoshop.

• Deleted member 236927

well after spending some time on the internet my problem is solved with Intel Texture Works Plugin for Photoshop, followed the instructions on how to use the plugin with photoshop and everything is working fine, no crashes, no issues, nothing with photoshop CC 2015. file saving options are different than Nvidia plugin but I'll do some experiments.
might be helpful for some.
thanks everyone.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back