Perspective from a 51 year old Gamer

“Grazie Infinte” dear Kunos Simulazioni Team, I mean this sincerely.

This brings me to the point and motivation for this post, PERSPECTIVE.

You have taken gazillions of zeros and ones, mixed it with your technical ability, added passion, talent, and precious time, and cooked this fantastic dish called Assetto Corsa,

It is not only a racing game or simulation, it is much more.

Assetto Corsa is a platform for us to live our passion, to create memories, and have fun.

To explain this is not that easy but I will try,

I have been a PC gamer since the early 90s and always enjoyed 3 genres, Flight & Racing Simulators and First person shooters. Played Doom no cheats, flew in EF 2000, Fleet Defender, MS Flightsim, raced in the epic GP2 by Geoff Crammond and later GTR.

Autoexec.bat, Config.sys had to be fine tuned to squeeze every byte of RAM to optimize the early games. No Gigabytes of this and GHz of that, basic hardware only, the days before Pentium processors and high speed graphics cards.

And as simple as these games were it created memories, even today I recall some of those from my virtual life.

And this is what I experienced most recently and made me think, driving the beautiful F2006 and now the epic the F2002 F1 Ferrari of Michael Schumacher, and watching my replays brought a lump to my throat, understand why since I am a very old fan since 1993 who followed his entire career.

To experience such strong emotions from a game, how is this possible?

Only because of the passion which was used to create this beautiful game and the fantastic mods by our talented community can explain this sensation.

Thank you for letting us live this fantasy, creating memories and having fun, this is after all what it’s about.

To the rest, don’t loose perspective, have respect for the talent and enjoy this era you live in with all the choices, software and hardware power options before you demand more, criticize, troll, whatever you call it.

Wake up and smell the coffee sunshine, life is too short and precious to waste.

Only burn rubber!......................

Cheers

ET

Curious what the average age of simracers actually is? When people mention their age on RD it often seems to be a bit older than you might expect and the continued popularity of things like CART and historics mods makes me think we may be nearer the average age than for a lot of computer game genres.

The Clash of Clans of this world have an awful lot of female players. Simracing I guess would be >98% male though.
You're probably right. There was this one female that I knew of who used to frequent the same weekly threads on GTPlanet that I did (seasonal events and stuff). This woman could drive in GT6, like a couple Top 10 finishes in the world for various events. And pretty much always in the Top 100 even if she didn't put in a tremendous amount of effort. The last I heard, she had moved on to Project Cars. She was the only female that I could say that I personally interacted with...unless there are others that are just keeping their gender to themselves, which I'm sure females do quite often because of the reaction they'll often get from lecherous men. :(

And that one was a beast!
tomy-turbo-racing-80s.jpg

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 106 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 139 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 197 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 381 28.3%