1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Personal 3D Viewer Head Mounted Display

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Adrian Britton, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Adrian Britton

Adrian Britton
    @ Simberia @Simberia

What do you recon to these?
    Could these be an end to triple screen monitors for sim racing, they are going to be released in the uk by november at a reasonable £500.

2. Head Mounted Displays have been around for quite some time, but improvement to the systems has been extremely limited. This product page doesn't list the important specs of what you are getting so it is hard to say if you are getting a good deal or not. First off it doesn't list what the actual or virtual display size is. It also doesn't include information on overlap, angle of view and things like that.

HMD's that have enough angle of view and overlap to replace triple monitors are still costing in the range of about 35,000 and up. There are HMD's that have head tracker hardware which would allow for tracking your head movement to adjust what you see, but there is no information on if this does or not. Without a wide field of view or head tracking it would be like sitting in front of your big screen TV.
  3. Adrian Britton

Adrian Britton
    @ Simberia @Simberia

Yeah I know what you mean about the lack of info from sony.
    I should of placed a link to the Gadget show website that I found it on! (to be honest, I dont know why I didnt as it does have slightly more info about it! crazy or what!!!)
    This is there article on it.....

4. Daniel Monteiro

Daniel Monteiro
    Premium Member

sweet! looking forward to the development of these badboys in the future!
  5. That little article does give a little bit more info, but it still lacks enough detail for determining the quality of the image and if there will be any issues with separation, overlap etc which your eyes are going to want to have in order to process the image correctly. Also, I have yet to see any information what so ever on how well someone with less than perfect vision will be able to use these.
  6. Adrian Britton

Adrian Britton
    @ Simberia @Simberia

Oh Jim! your such an optimist!

I have found a little bit more info for your, I have to say I am impressed by these, When they are released in Leeds Sony shop, the missus and I are off to see if we can get to view them, as I may buy some next year.
    The only downside I can see, is that you would not be able to see your wheel, (so looking down to press things could be a bit hard) lol

7. All things considered, I hope they are awesome, but as you pointed out I am such an optimist :) From the looks of the design though, with the screens being so far away from your eyes, you should be able to look down and see your wheel with no issues. Just don't move your head, heheh.

Oh and I know there are head tracking devices out there that you would be able to use along with this headset to allow you to move your head to change your view so you can see around. The 2 combined will be pretty impressive, though I don't even come close to having enough dosh to afford one :)