Perez to test a Ferrari this year

Chris Jenkins

Driving til the wheels fall off
From Autosport:

Mexican Sergio Perez will test a Ferrari
Formula 1 car later this year, the Maranello squad has revealed.

Perez, making his Formula 1 debut this season with Sauber, is part of Ferrari's driving academy.
The rookie will test Ferrari's 2009 Formula 1 car at Mugello or Fiorano in September, when he will be joined by GP2 driver Jules Bianchi, also part of Ferrari's academy.
"It will be a very interesting test, because we will be putting Jules Bianchi and Sergio Perez up against one another," said FDA director Luca Baldisserri
"I think they will both be very motivated and for us it will be the perfect opportunity to assess both drivers."

I think Perez will become hot property not very far from now. You can be the most talented driver in the field but if you don't get the opportunity to drive for a fast team...well then you are nothing in the sceheme of things...

Except that team orders are no longer illegal so those coded messages won't be needed.
:tongue:

By having a clear number 1 and number 2, Ferrari have the difficult task of finding someone who's quick but not too quick. How's that going to look on a driver's CV? "Drove for Ferrari because I was fairly good."

By having a clear number 1 and number 2, Ferrari have the difficult task of finding someone who's quick but not too quick. How's that going to look on a driver's CV? "Drove for Ferrari because I was fairly good."

Well said, I feel Perez fits that mold perfectly... unlike Kobayashi, he is not a #2 driver, nor I feel he would be willing to be Ferrari's lapdog.

There have been rare situations where it has been a good career move.
Eddie Irvine albeit through Schumachers broken leg went close to WDC and on the strength of the possible WDC crown Jaguar (Ford) payed silly money for him to be #1.
If I recall correctly Irvines party was spolied by a very quick new driver called Mark Webber.

If Sergio keeps moving up as a young talent, I think it's kinda hard to see him a #2 driver, after all he's backed up by the richest man in the world. Mexico has been waiting a long time for an F1 hero, so if the kid lives up to the hype and talent, his backers will make sure he gets his chance at a #1 spot.

the only chance he would get at being no 1 at ferrari is that he beats alonso early on in the season or they are just gonna forget about him and focus on alonso

No chance! He starts beating Alonso, Alonso throws his toys out of the pram and Perez is shipped to another team as a number 1 driver the following season.

Ferrari pander to Alonso too much for Perez to make a bigger impact in the long-run.

Well if Perez ends up just as good, one would ponder if they will move Alonso out, afterall Perez Would be in a similar positon to Hamilton where he was raised by the team that put him there, giving him a emotionail favouritism for the driver.

Either way i can't see perez there for atleast another season he still needs plenty of development imo.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 303 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 211 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 203 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 154 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 269 13.6%