F1 2012 People understeering? Have a little read of this!

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)
Hey all.

So, I'm reading a lot about understeer at the moment.. I have a few pointers..

Firstly, I play with a pad, assists turned off in cockpit view. I understand that wheel users experience an entire set of problems I don't contend with. But, believe me, I race with wheel/pad users in no assist lobbies all day. It doesn't really matter what type of controller you're using in most cases.

If you are a wheel user, then you may have issues with your brake saturation, but I guarantee that more often than not it's a setup/driving problem.

For no assists it's vital that I have great brakes. If you're braking at a 100 metre board and you lock up for 10 metres of that distance, then it stands to reason you'll "understeer". The brakes are the most important thing for me for consistency. I've raced with an extremely well balanced car yet my brakes were iffy making the overall setup catastrophic. I usually race either low/standard with 52 R bias, or high/low 50/50. If I'm experiencing lock up problems in game, I find that by pushing the brake bias to the rear while you're racing helps out a great deal (although that might not be good practice for 50/100% races..

When I'm braking into a corner, most of the time I'm applying a minimal amount of braking pressure all the way to the apex. If I'm taking too much speed into a corner, offering 25% brake usually helps me shrug off that extra 10mph if needed. Having the ability to brake and turn is magical if you're able to master it. I must admit, I'm still learning, but I stay close to the racing line pretty much all of the time now. I had a little go with ABS, for a laugh. To be honest, I couldn't get the same feel over the car. It didn't matter what brakes I set, the way the car handled just felt unnatural. If you run with assists, or if controlling the car with your brakes isn't helping, then chances are you have fundamental setup issues.

The beauty of this game is that you're able to do what you want with the setup. If I have true understeer, or oversteer for that matter, I know I must alter my setup. I know it's not a problem with the game, and low and behold when I play with my setup my lap times generally plummet if I'm able to find the sweet spot.

Chances are you're running a setup that does not suit your driving style. You must forget about last year's game and spend some hard hours (like I and many other people have) finding a balance that suits you. The reason you're understeering could be the roll bars, the alignment. It could be that your 2nd gear is too large..

My biggest tip is that the braking distances are a lot longer in this game for some corners. Like 2011 setups, you must get rid of 2011 braking distances Most people I see "understeering" while spectating are simply taking way too much speed into the corner. I played 4 sprint races in a row last night. I won 3, and came 2nd in the other (due to a back marker waiting to take me out from the lead and me getting the resulting penalty). It was my first experience playing with traction control people this year. I obviously did well, but it was because everyone was off the track for most of the races. And that isn't people running into each other, it was mostly down to driver error.

Here is a setup for you to try. It would work on most tracks.. Have a go on Silverstone, or Suzuka..

Front wing 5
Rear wing 5

Braking low pressure, medium size 52 R bias

Balance 10-8
suspension 2-2 stiffness 8-9

Alignment 3.3 1.1 .08 .44

I use many setups, but I the above is my fail safe for tracks I haven't spent a lot of time on. If you're experiencing problems, please post what kind of setup you're running, what controller and what assists you're using.

The way I see it, is that if neither me or my friends are suffering with this "understeer" problem, then it's not a problem.

Well the patch notes say my hypothesis was wrong but I can't see the patch changing much.

Will have to see personally before I can make any judgements though.

Well, i think you got offline and online confused in your earlier post, you say there is more grip offline then online and surely that can't be true...

BTW, i did feel some weird like this in the Abu Dhabi hairpin, the one just before the 2 long straights.

From other games (not just the ones from Codemasters, Rfactor too) i was used to go in deep and hit the apex rather late so i could get on the throttle for the straight earlier and that was just impossible in F1 2012... the car would wash out bad...
I had to change for a more textbook approach, there was just no way to do it "my way".

But yeah, we have to feel it for ourselves.

It is true. Me and my teammate are certain of it. At Montreal he was doing very fast times on primes offline, then when we practiced online he couldn't replicate them on options. This has happened multiple times, to me too. So I think that does happen.

OK @Peter Evans I finally had a chance to test this setup (first post) and it feels good around bahrain... it probably feels good around every circuit. The corners were stable all the way through, corner entry, apex, and exit. I think the wings help it a big deal more than the toe (which was my first hunch).
However. I'm still faster with low wings. Maybe not as stable in the corners, but faster trumps stable sometimes.

I did a lot of testing, 2 full hours of track time, no KERS and no DRS, Mix2, 10 laps fuel, Prime tyres. And i never did more than 5 laps at a time thus keeping at least 5 laps of fuel in the car.
Your set up 1.37.8
My set up 1:37.2

Your setup allows you to get on the throttle quicker out of the corners, but it's slower down the straights.

My setup wings 2/1, brakes 55/45 med/std, arbs 9/3, ride 1/1, spring 9/9 camber 3.2/1.1 toe 0.12/0.41

OK @Peter Evans I finally had a chance to test this setup (first post) and it feels good around bahrain... it probably feels good around every circuit. The corners were stable all the way through, corner entry, apex, and exit. I think the wings help it a big deal more than the toe (which was my first hunch).
However. I'm still faster with low wings. Maybe not as stable in the corners, but faster trumps stable sometimes.

I did a lot of testing, 2 full hours of track time, no KERS and no DRS, Mix2, 10 laps fuel, Prime tyres. And i never did more than 5 laps at a time thus keeping at least 5 laps of fuel in the car.
Your set up 1.37.8
My set up 1:37.2

Your setup allows you to get on the throttle quicker out of the corners, but it's slower down the straights.

My setup wings 2/1, brakes 55/45 med/std, arbs 9/3, ride 1/1, spring 9/9 camber 3.2/1.1 toe 0.12/0.41

Cool man.. I'll check yours out also. I use a completely different setup for Bahrain. Will give yours a go and share mine a little later

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 301 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 210 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 151 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 269 13.7%