Pc reset

My new pc is back from repair so I did a factory reset on my old pc ready for sale. I'm not sure what's supposed to be happening as the pc is on but I don't know if it's doing anything. After a while, I turned it off at the power button and went shopping. I've turned it back on, it beeps once and just stays doing nothing. Should I have something on my monitor?

It is hard to tell what is wrong. What I would do:
Checking that the hardware is well fitted. No loose cables etc.
Checking the Monitor, if he is working correctly.
Going into the BIOS, checking if all settings are correct.
Cheers
Andrew ;)

Upvote 0
I had something that sounds similar this a while back. I had to remove the cmos battery, leave it out for 10/20 mins, then pop it back in. Kind of resets the bios I think. I had to re enter ram timings and cpu overclocks afterwards, worked though!

Upvote 0
Sounds very odd. Did it come with discs for reinstall of operating system? Does it have a windows sticker with windows version and product key on it (don't post the product key on line) but details of PC make/model might help shed light on it for you.
If so you could stick the disc in and power it up. Should allow you to reinstall Windows.
Or a look online might turn up a guide on resetting your PC/why it's doing this.
Another alternative is download a Linux , say Ubuntu and install that.
I'd always think twice about letting a PC go with your hard disc in it, as unless you've used advanced wiping (multipass) software ( free (not pirated, but free) versions are around), it's not hard to recover info from the drive, if it's never had confidential stuff on it no worries, but if you've had copies of important letters, banking info etc be mindful that some people are nosey and possibly malicious.
Finally listen at that beep, often the beep, number of or duration do identify the problem, but they will be specific to that particular motherboard model.
Post if you don't (or do) solve it, good luck.

Upvote 0
Well I got it working again How? I have absolutely no idea!! I switched it on again today and before I could even press anything, the screen came up saying it was attempting to repair the pc. It then said it couldn't and gave me some options of which one was to do the factory reset again which I did only this time, I had the percent of progress on the screen which didn't happen yesterday. It did the reset and it's on the screen where you start with your hotmail log in etc.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back