• "Mwoah" - Kimi Räikkönen
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

PC Peripheral Support

Discussion in 'RIDE 2' started by Leigh Nielsen, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Leigh Nielsen

Leigh Nielsen
    mid-field punter! Premium

Ratings:
    +49
    Despite good advice and my own reservations I purchased RIDE 2. As expected the graphics are quite acceptable - maybe AMS, RF2 standard give or take. Initially tried playing with the default keyboard commands. Fine, the game could be fun, but I'm not going to play by keyboard for extended time.
    Plug in my peripherals and nothing! You have to be kidding? No peripheral support! - tell me it ain't so! A contemporary road based game with no peripheral support!
    These guys are kidding themselves or should stick to the XBox crowd.

P.S. Thrustmaster Warthog supported

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  2. Leigh Nielsen

Leigh Nielsen

Ratings:
    +49
    TBH I was about to press the refund button when I discovered that Thrustmaster Warthog joystick was supported, and ended up playing for 6 hours! I prefer the "on the bike" view. When you get it right (as in your control inputs) it plays very well and is a lot of fun.

Would like to have more options re the controller in game - curves, deadzone, etc. This sort of thing is done well in most enthusiast quality car racing games and should be a no-brainer for the devs if they are serious about garnering support from the PC crowd. The general advice seems to be - get an XBox Controller for Windows. Eeeek - with gritted teeth I will get one of these things and let you know.

For us bike fans it is the current market leader and, arguably, our best chance of moving towards a bike sim in the future. And we all understand that development takes time and money. I just wonder if the devs want to move in that direction.

Which could leave a gap for a competitor to usurp them "down the track", ie GP Bikes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Leigh Nielsen

Leigh Nielsen

Ratings:
    +49
    Response from Milestone.

Hi,
    Ride 2 does not officially support racing wheels. Basically, Ride 2 is thought to be played with a gamepad and we don't want to encourage players to play with a steering wheel. We suggest you to use a compatible device, such as the Xbox 360 or Xbox One gamepad.

Thanks for contacting us
    Milestone Team

4. Leigh Nielsen

Leigh Nielsen

Ratings:
    +49
    Thought I would post an update on my Ride 2 experience.

The problem with motorbike games versus car games is the lack of a suitable peripheral. Car games have a very sophisticated range of wheels and pedals to choose from and this greatly adds to the immersion factor for the gamer. So for us bike fans we cannot even get close to the quality of simulation that car fans can.

Any PC gamer that has tried a bike game over the years will have experienced the frustration of keyboard or joystick "riding". No matter the potential of the game, it was always limited by the player input device. The general advice surrounding Ride 2 is get an XBox Controller for Windows. I finally relented and purchased one of these contraptions. For a PC only player like myself this is another learning curve and does take some time to get used to.

The graphics on Ride 2 are at standard for a contemporary game. Plenty of options to find your playing level to keep frustration levels at bay early in your playing experience. Even if you are an ace with a car sim take the time to add in the assists to learn how to operate the bike. The fun factor is the big compensator for any other deficiencies you may perceive in the game. Early in your Ride 2 game time it may seem a bit too arcadey but as you get more competent with the controls the game delivers a more satisfying "riding" experience. And as you progress through the physics options the bike does exhibit more bike like behaviour - front end loss, high side, etc.

It is doubtful that there will ever by a bike sim to rival car sims for fidelity. The amount of inputs for bikes far exceeds those for cars and without any peripherals tailored for the bike experience it is always going to be problematic. For all of that, Ride 2 still delivers a fun bike game. We should not be too critical of Milestone when it comes to "it is not a sim". Well funded research has been invested trying to build a bike sim for professional and civilian training but is yet to produce a rig that delivers the goods.

At some stage would love to see a peripheral that mimics a bike's controls - to some degree. Maybe one that attaches to a steering wheel and has a twist throttle and levers - existing pedals could substitute for gear and rear brake. But in the meantime it looks like the XBox Controller is the standard.

Overall, Ride 2 is worth a punt if you are into bikes, but get an XBox controller if you do not have one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tim Cannon

Tim Cannon
    Premium

Ratings:
    +44
    I wish there was some kind of FFB motorcycle peripheral out there and that the game supported it. I have always loved motorcycle racing, but I have not been able to master the Xbox controller with the current generation of moto racers. So I gave up after trying motogp15.

After doing some searching for a motorcycle controller recently, I found this... http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/2...ottle-motorcycle-controller-by-iasystems-wip/

Looks awesome, and this guy actually sells them, but I bet it's not cheap. I was actually thinking about making my own. But after watching this guy's video about getting his unrecognized controller to work ingame, I thought I would try my steering wheel before I invest in a lot of time and money. We'll, holy crap! It works very well, and I'm having a lot of fun. I would still prefer proper handlebars with twist throttle and lever brakes, but that's not possible.

It took a little tweaking of the controller software settings but now I have analog steering(steering wheel), throttle(gas pedal), front brake(load cell brake pedal), and rear brake(clutch pedal). I would have never been able to have this much fun with a gamepad. I'm still just a rookie, but I can tell I'm getting addicted.

Here's a hotlap I did with my steering wheel....

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  6. Leigh Nielsen

Leigh Nielsen

Ratings:
    +49
    WoW! that rig looks awesome!
    Imagine it costs a bomb!

Could not get Ride 2 to see my wheel, so well done on that front.

It is only that the game is such fun, and that I am a sucker for bike games, that I have persevered with the Xbox controller - about 30 hours now. It does take time to get your left thumb "XBox" fit to operate it with any finesse.

7. Tim Cannon

Tim Cannon
    Premium

Ratings:
    +44
    I shoulda stuck with the controller, I might have got used to it by now. Now i'm used to the steering wheel. I really want to try a thrustmaster freestyler bike, but they haven't made them for over 10 years, and I can"t find a used one :(