F1 2011 PC Connection lost issue

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
This may have been covered before, so I apologise if it has already.

The problem I have is that I cannot seem to stay in a multiplayer race once it has left the lobby and gone to pit garage. It's fine in the lobby, although my signal bar is red, but when I'm sat in the pit garage and it says 'waiting for players' I'll suddenly loose connection and be sent back to in game menus. I occasionally get to join the race but when I do, the lag makes it almost un-drivable. This is really frustrating me as my online RD championship has started and I was unable to compete in the first race because of this issue.

I have read various forums and threads about people having the same problem but there doesn't seem to be a solution. I have tried forwarding the ports for F1 2011 but with no difference. I have a BT Home Hub 1.0 btw.
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game and tried multiplayer with no mods installed but still get the same problem. I played F1 2010 on PS3 with no issues and having made the switch to PC so I could take full advantage of the mods that are available , I have been unable to enjoy the multiplayer as of yet. Before anyone asks my PC is more than capable of running F1 2011 on ultra settings, so PC performance isn't the problem.

My download speed recently has been worse than usual. Having done speed tests over the past week, I have been getting really poor results. My area allows me to have up to 8mgb broadband, and before now I have been getting close to that, around the 6/7mgb mark. Tests within the last week have given me 0.9/1mgb download speed which has made downloads more time consuming to complete. I don't know if this might be part of the issue as to why I can't maintain my connection in multiplayer races, or whether this is a Codemasters or GFWL server issue.

If anyone could shed some light on where the issue lies, or any solution that worked for them then I would greatly appreciate it!

I fortunately didn't have this problem in F1 2010 -- and I've not tried an online game in 2011 since the patch -- but I did experience this problem (or something very similar) in GRID and Operation Flashpoint: Red Rising (both Codemasters games). I think it's something to do with their netcode -- or the Quazal matching engine they use -- but I couldn't fix the problem, whatever I tried. (I even tried buying a new NIC!)

Your best bet is to email Codies tech support on this, it's one of those very strange problems which unfortunately affects only a very small percentage of people. I have to be honest, they'll likely never fix it. If you use the teknogods DLL and Tunngle to play a "LAN" multiplayer game, does that still work?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back