1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

PC buying help

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Craig Richards, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Since the late late 90's and the good old days of GP series by Geoff Crammond, i've played all my sim racing on the playstations.

I currently use my ps3 and logitech g27 wheel. I haven't bought a ps4 due to logitech wheels not being supported. I'm therefore looking into going back to PC gaming. However looking at PC's i realise i'm way out of touch!

Can people out me out with what sort of spec i should be looking at getting see below and point out anything i'm missing, or needs being better, plus can i just connect a PC to my 32 " hd panasonic tv for sound and vision? I will just be using the pc for gaming.

Processor : 4th gen intel quad core 3.7 ghz 6mb cache ok?
    Ram: 8gb ok?
    Graphics card: 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT720 GPU ok?
    hard disk: 1 tb ok?

plus will the g27 wheel work on it!

2. The big and important question is what´s your budget ?.
    Graphics card needs to much better.

Some general suggestions for a big budget:
    -Intel Z97 motherboard
    - Intel i5-4690K CPU + better cooler
    - 600 and upwards PSU
    - Nvidia GTX 970 for good value GTX 980 for top performance.
    - 8GB (2x4GB) and WIN 8.1 is OK
    - 128-256GB SSD hard drive for programs and 500-1000GB for data storage
    - Case, DVD, mouse and keyboard

When you give us your budget it will be easier to give other more specific and cheaper suggestions. :)

3. Thanks for your reply. Ideally about £750 but prob worth mentioning I will be buying one ready made not building my own.

I'll check out better graphic cards then. I have keyboards and mice. Am I right in saying most pc's don't have wireless internet, so I need to get a wireless card. Also will a PC have an hdmi out or will I need a special cable to connect pc to to hdmi.

4. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly
    A bad quali means I can go forwards in the race.

Your TV will plug straight into the HDMI connection.
    You might have to tweak the graphics settings so that it doesn't make a little border around the picture, some GPU assume if its a HDMI connection that you are watching TV, but its not hard to change this setting.
    Your TV will be a bit slower (appr 6ms) than a fast PC monitor (say 2ms) on refresh rate.

5. So I could just the hdmi cable I use for my ps3 currently to run from PC to tv.

6. Here are some examples what you could buy under 750£ with shipping:
    http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Slipstream-Z97-Haswell-Gaming-PC.html

Under 800£ From Overclockers.co.uk->
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-004-OG&groupid=43&catid=2475&subcat=2489
    Modified->https://www.dropbox.com/s/1gpro7rklm2xp0z/computer 2.PNG?dl=0

You are mercy of the shop when it comes to components but here are some components I would look for in your 750£ budget:

- CPU: 4 core Intel, from Core i5-4460 to i5-4690K
    - GPU: Radeon R9 280X or 285, Geforce GTX 760
    - RAM: 8GB (2x4)
    - HARD DRIVE: min 1TB, 128GB SSD optional

You can choose "better/more suitable for you need" components if you build your own computer. :)
    Some shops allow you to modify you computer more freely which can be good thing.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014