PC bootup issue

Guys, this is not a strict query about sim hardware but as all that runs through my PC and I now can't use it to sim-race, I hope you don't mind me putting it here.

Running a 1.5 year old machine, decent spec though not mega powered.

Have always had issues with it recognising the monitor on occasion and giving the three beeps, so simply power down and power up again. This has never been a problem. And it works fine after this, but I fear this might have damaged something.

But, a few weeks ago starting getting instant machine drop outs, ie, you are browsing web etc and the thing just powers down instantly, and reboots, no warning, no screen, just like someone pulls plug.

And now after coming home one night this week it is stuck in a boot up loop. Turn it on and it sounds different, fan comes on it doesn't usually, it either does or doesn't recognise the monitor as normal and beeps or triple beeps.

Then I get a blue manufacturer BIOS screen with no prompt for a few seconds, then it goes away to blank, another beep and the BIOS screen comes up but I cannot input anything, there are options but I cannot input anything.

Then it goes off again and repeats, so is unusable, have tried battery, not that, cant get to Gigabyte help as you need BIOS info and I cant get to it to even email the unhelpful tossers.

I am fearing motherboard failure, but this is a 1.5 year old, machine, could the powering up and down have messed it up? Where would I stand with warranties?

It was purchased via an outlet not straight from the manufacturer, and that is an issue regarding fault and blame as I have discovered already.

first thing i would do is borrow another gpu, or set the onboard gpu as default in your bios, especially as he's always had trouble with the monitor, swap out the gpu and see if the problems persist, it's a quick check and free as you must know someone or have a spare gpu to test or if not, remove your card and use the cpu onboard gfx chip.

Upvote 0
Unless some other solution shows itself more clearly, I think this is the right time to invest in a premium power supply. The PSU is (IMHO) always a prime candidates in these problems (in cars, too).

Regardless of whether my hunch here is correct or not, a quality PSU is highly reusable. It is the one component that if you now replace it and it turns out it didn't fix the problem you did not waste any monies.

The watt rating is meaningless without the details (individual rails) and the temperature rating. One 500 watts PSU might be rated at 22 degrees input temperature and a more professional one is rated 500 watts at 40 degrees input temp. Well, if you blow air from inside the PC into the PSU, then the 22 deg value does not apply to you. The latter PSU can easily be twice as strong in real use - even though both are "500 watts". And that is without the manufacturer outright lying which is common.

Upvote 0
Like I stated earlier in the thread, a GPU swap (borrowed or purchased) is a must in the first option. If your motherboard does not have onboard graphics then a cheap non gaming gpu can be had for little money. Ebuyer list a few at less than 29 quid. A PC repair shop will charge you that per hour.

Upvote 0
PSU and thermals would be my two cents, just by the symptoms. Get a dab of quality thermal grease (e.g. MX-4 or Noctua), clean up the CPU and give it a fresh layer. Make sure the cooler sits firmly when reattached. It might not help, but doesn't hurt either.

Upvote 0
OK, maching will not boot up at all with onboard graphics, it simply gives the three beeps one long, two short, cant access BIOS nothing.

No reply yet from manufacturer, their customer service iw woefully shite

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back