PC bootup issue

Guys, this is not a strict query about sim hardware but as all that runs through my PC and I now can't use it to sim-race, I hope you don't mind me putting it here.

Running a 1.5 year old machine, decent spec though not mega powered.

Have always had issues with it recognising the monitor on occasion and giving the three beeps, so simply power down and power up again. This has never been a problem. And it works fine after this, but I fear this might have damaged something.

But, a few weeks ago starting getting instant machine drop outs, ie, you are browsing web etc and the thing just powers down instantly, and reboots, no warning, no screen, just like someone pulls plug.

And now after coming home one night this week it is stuck in a boot up loop. Turn it on and it sounds different, fan comes on it doesn't usually, it either does or doesn't recognise the monitor as normal and beeps or triple beeps.

Then I get a blue manufacturer BIOS screen with no prompt for a few seconds, then it goes away to blank, another beep and the BIOS screen comes up but I cannot input anything, there are options but I cannot input anything.

Then it goes off again and repeats, so is unusable, have tried battery, not that, cant get to Gigabyte help as you need BIOS info and I cant get to it to even email the unhelpful tossers.

I am fearing motherboard failure, but this is a 1.5 year old, machine, could the powering up and down have messed it up? Where would I stand with warranties?

It was purchased via an outlet not straight from the manufacturer, and that is an issue regarding fault and blame as I have discovered already.

What keyboard do you use? Some are too slow/not booting up for bios use. The corsair keyboards for example have a profile switch and one of them is "bios mode".
Were you able to get into the bios before?

Sounds really strange though, not sure if I can help :(

Upvote 0
Now hold on a sec...

You say you have a Gigabyte board that comes up with the BIOS screen but does not react to the keyboard? Does it display menus? Because I have one of those that hangs when certain SATA devices ($&@*((@ SSDs) are connected.

Upvote 0
Sounds like a bios issue to me, Gigabyte's warranty is 3 yrs if memory serves, Ive used Gigabyte boards for years and never had issues. Does the mobo have a small digital readout panel on it, my Z170X has a small panel in the top right hand corner, it gives the fault codes when there's issues, see pic
20180114_082441.jpg
depending on your mobo model (which is usually printed on the mobo) you should have this panel, if you can get the PC to start and read the code it will be easy to determine whats going wrong.

As @RasmusP said, there can also be issues with the USB port you have the mouse and K-board plugged into, Ive had to swap from the designated ports to other usb ports on occasion, especially when its a new build and doing 1st boot up.

Another problem could be a bad RAM stick, they can sometimes cause bios issues on boot which gives the 3 beeps, take out the extra sticks so there's only 1 installed, see how it boots, if its fine change it out and test the next one in the same way, do this for all your ram. This only test the sticks, there may be a bad ram slot so you can test the ram in the 1st of both different coloured slots, there usually numbered 1,2,3,4 but work together as in slots 1,3 & 2,4

TBH I get the feeling it's the motherboard, if its been an issue since new I'd be taking back to the place of purchase and get them to test it, only problem here is they may charge you for the testing time if it's not an issue with the PC, but it definitely sounds like a bios/motherboard fault.

Cheers

Upvote 0
The length of beep and number of those pips are meaningful as they correspond to particular errors. Found this.

1.AWARD BIOS 1short beep :System normal 2 short beep :CMOS Error 1 long beep and 1 short beep:Memory error 1 long beep and 2 short beep:Graphic card error 1 long beep and 3 short beep :AGP error 1 long beep and 9 short beep :Memory Error Continuous long beep :Memory not correctly installed Continuous short beep :Power supply unit failed 2.AMI BIOS 1 short beep :Memory Error 2 short beep:Memory parity check error. 3 short beep :basic memory 64K address check error 4 short beep :Real Time Clock malfunction . 5 short beep :CPU error 6 short beep:Keyboard error 7 short beep :CPU interruption error 8 short beep:Graphic card error 9 short beep :Memory error 10 short beep :CMOS error 11 short beep :CPU cache memory malfunction

Here https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/FAQ/816

Upvote 0
I use a normal, basic Logitech USB keyboard.

The three beeps are long beep, two short, a graphics issue, for some reason the card has never recognised the monitor properly, meaning I sometimes have to reboot, simply by holding down the power button and rebooting that way.

The fault I have is that while trying to boot a screen is displayed but only stays up for a couple of seconds, then goes away. I have tried pressing all the keys noted on there and it makes no difference, plus all the usual F2, F12 etc.

No bulging caps or anything, as I say its only a year and a half old.

Will try the RAM stick thing.

And not sure if I have a light, will try again and see.

Noob query, can I plug normal stuff into the blue USB ports, and try them, rather than using existing?

Upvote 0
Whenever PC problems arise it is nearly always a case of trial and error when testing for possible faults. The very first thing I would do is try and borrow a spare GPU or take the current one out and enable the onboard GPU.
Secondly I would remove the cmos battery and short the jumpers to clear the cmos.

Upvote 0
Since I have had the machine no.

I think it depends on the monitor being in the same state, ie turned on or off, but if you leave it in sleep mode (the monitor) it never works.

What happens is you just press the power button and screen is grey with monitor box writing, and long then 2 short beeps.

Then the machine carries on and will do the same again shortly but never a picture.

So, I hold power down and reboot and it usually works after that, but still can occasionally take a few power off reboots to work. And coz it works fine, I was fine with it.

Done this since day one, did try on another monitor and it was fine, so a clash with the monitor.

but now I am getting this reboot BIOS type loop.

Upvote 0
I use a normal, basic Logitech USB keyboard.

The three beeps are long beep, two short, a graphics issue, for some reason the card has never recognised the monitor properly, meaning I sometimes have to reboot, simply by holding down the power button and rebooting that way.

The fault I have is that while trying to boot a screen is displayed but only stays up for a couple of seconds, then goes away. I have tried pressing all the keys noted on there and it makes no difference, plus all the usual F2, F12 etc.

No bulging caps or anything, as I say its only a year and a half old.

Will try the RAM stick thing.

And not sure if I have a light, will try again and see.

Noob query, can I plug normal stuff into the blue USB ports, and try them, rather than using existing?

On my Gigabyte motherboard, it's the 'DEL' key to get into the bios.

Andy J is right, it's a case of trial and error dealing with hardware issues like this sometimes the only thing you can do is swap bits out to find the problem component.

One thing that stands out from what you say to me; if the GPU sometimes doesn't work on boot up, and your PC shuts down without warning could both indicate a power supply issue.

Upvote 0
PSU was replaced within the first few weeks of owning the machine, the one fitted by the manufacturer blew up!

Was replaced and had no graphical issues, but obviously this repeating boot up thing and now the loop.

Upvote 0
No, everything in the whole machine is straight out the box. Well I am presuming it came to me without being clocked. Unless the manufacturer did something.

Probably not then. An earlier reply mentioned clearing the CMOS, or in layman's terms it means resetting to factory safe bios settings. Personally I don't think this will help as unless you've actually been screwing around with the bios then there shouldn't be problem out of thin air, but it's worth trying for the sake of piece of mind. So try this first, read your motherboard manual or look online for the manual so you can locate the jumper and follow the instructions.

Once I've done this and if it doesn't change the situation. Well then, if I had the same problems you've described, I'd be certain it's a hardware problem. My first plan of attack is swap out the PSU. If that doesn't help then I'd replace the motherboard. The problems sound like power supply or motherboard. If this isn't something you'd attempt yourself then just take it to computer repair shop and let them work it out. I'm sure you'd hope to get an exact answer but no one can be certain diagnosing a PC fault over a forum other than make the best guess from the information.

Upvote 0
I know fella I thank you for your help, it certainly narrows things down a touch and I have tried the CMOS thing already, battery change and jumper reset

As you say i think hardware, there is a computer place near me so I might pop in there and see if they can help.

Honestly cant be arsed with dealing with the manufacturers, they are hopeless.

Chillblast, say no more!

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 381 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 258 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 250 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 182 7.8%