1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Featured Pascal Wehrlein to test for Force India?

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Jordan Adcock, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Pascal Wehrlein.jpg
    Mercedes reserve driver Pascal Wehrlein may be driving Force India’s 2014 car for all four days of the upcoming Barcelona test starting on February 19th.

The reports come as neither of Force India’s two race drivers, Sergio Perez or Nico Hulkenberg, have yet been confirmed as running in the test, and amidst the Silverstone team’s continuing struggles to get their 2015 car ready.

As Mercedes also supplies Force India’s engines, it makes sense that the 20 year-old German would be allowed to test for a customer team, having already driven for Mercedes in the post-season Abu Dhabi test last year. Deputy Team Principal Bob Fernley told German news website F1-Insider simply: “Driving is a reserve driver.”

• Like Like x 1
  2. R.J. O'Connell

R.J. O'Connell
    Premium Member

I really hope this role, if confirmed, works out better than it did for Calado and Juncadella. Wehrlein is clearly a lot more comfortable in single-seaters than he's been in DTM from what I've seen of him, which seems to be a running theme among ex-Formula 1 prospects headed to the series.

3. 4 8 15 16 23 42 108

4 8 15 16 23 42 108
    Only the 5th-most famous race driver from Kerpen Premium Member

Glad to know Force India don't have financial trouble. But if they had, this could pay a few engines this season.
    But they have not. So I wonder why Wehrlein was chosen?

4. R.J. O'Connell

R.J. O'Connell
    Premium Member

Never hurts to have a little extra financial stability in this sport, plus Mercedes-Benz gets additional feedback from one of its prized young prospects.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins
    Driving til the wheels fall off

Mercedes get one of their prospects some more experience, in return for some financial relief for F.I

Makes sense

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. On top of that I don't think it would do Nico and Sergio that much good to test the old car. ;)