WIP Parramatta Park 1952 GP 2 Mile Circuit

Gday again Ed,
Much improved on my ol' tower,no "glitching" (where it looks like your jumping from one photo to another) or anything.
Im using an old 2Ghz single proccessor(first of the pentium 4's)with 2.6gig of ram & an ancient 256mb Nvidia card .
Love that road texture,when I run over the"hot runny tar stip" in the middle it can really change the line Im on,definately keeps me on my toes. Is that the texture itself as its ment to be or is there something else happening?
Also the broken road edges are great, is that part of the road or a sepperate tex'?
If so,is it in your texture pack as well?
I did some checking on that"Race for Peace" graffitti,behind the straw bailes theres more writing underneath.
I asked my father who visited the place back in the day & he thinks it went on to say "Not to War".
Just thought you might be interested.
Lastly,1:38 I think was my best in a torrana,only 4ish seconds better then the GT40!
Just goes how tight & technicle it is.
All the best to ya,BLeeK.

cheers mate

yeah with the road. the road surface made of 3 materials. the main surface section spans the middle road from just inside both edge lines, while the very edge of the road surface (from say 100mm inside the edge line) including the edge line, then the broken down verge/dirst/leaves, and then the transition into the grass, on both sides of the road are separate materials. i think theyre 'dirt' or something? cant remember. anyway, it just means that if you stray close to the edge of the road, or drop a wheel into the dust/dirt/leaves, you lose a bit of traction, and throw some dust around. the way BTB does cross section shaping of the road makes it really easy to give the verges shape, add a little depression as you roll off the tarmac, and alos allows you to add the shape of the concrete gutters etc quite easily. the textures which i applied to all these surfaces/materials is in that x-pack zip file i posted earlier.

with the ridge in the very centre of the road, thats just a tiny raised bump in the road profile. like you get with old roads that have had the driving lane surfaces compressed by traffic, but the centre line sits just that litle bit taller. its only in the realm of maybe 1cm or so different from the surface in either lane, and something i test drove and set by feel rather than anything visual (you cant see theres a bump there :)

cheers on the graffiti, well see how that incorporates :)

and the GT40 is a pig to drive around that circuit. sooo unstable!

cheers
ed

kinda stupid in the scheme of things, but i have a menu thumbnail!

:)

cheers
ed

Attachments

• ParramattaPark1952Thmb.jpg
    ParramattaPark1952Thmb.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 806
raido, im sorry to say, but i think youre stuck with ****ty FPS. i tried a whole heap of tweaks today to get the FPS significantly up, and it doesnt budge. only destructively remodelling my objects and terrain makes much difference im affraid, and even then its not heaps, and the track loses character significantly i think. sorry! unless someone has some tips? the textures are few, i reuse the same ones where i can and they arent big. theres sure a lot of objects, but i guess its that kind of track? LOD doesnt make a lot of difference as if you cant see it, its doesnt affect FPS, and if you can see it, or 'should see it' then LOD doesnt come into it anymore as all the objects should be in view anyway? bit of a ****.

meanwhle i tried to add a wall of houses for some background down the main straight, and it loks like sh1t. there goes 1.5hrs of digging up 1950s houses images! its just better if you belive its in the middle of a field i think! lol. maybe actual models of a street worth of houses would look ok, but nah... i cant see that happening, not from me anyway! a few tweaks here and there, some more trees, and we'Re getting there.

cheers
ed

Maybe a few simple photo-textured house models in the first row and then the housewall? Yes, if that's too much effort, then & distant trees is a decent alternative.

The thing with LODs is that you swap out a less complicated model for the detail as you move closer. So, in your case, thousands of individual objects are swapped in place of a couple tree walls. I don't know how well it will work, but that's the idea...

yeah, but realistically i can set overall LOD at 200m for the most part of the track, as thats as far as you can generally see ahead. and by the time you want to see 200m into the distance, you want full details, not progressive transition to detail.

i think 200m is too short a distance to progressive LOD to work, and look good.

on this track if something is too far away to need the details, its also too far away to be seen in general.

How about if it was mainly fences & garden hedge rows with a "hint" or two of houses behind, like their roofs & eves sorta thing?
The cars are flashing by on the main strait,straitening up & lining up turn one. She's a tight little track,when I'm zoned in for a quick one
I only notice the surroundings after Ive missed them or Ive binned it & have a look about.Is there/was there much room between the strait & the Houses?
Yeah, the GT is a bit of a pig at times. At Parra' I think its the wider than front track back end on it & those traffic grooves(they're t'riffic), not to mention tall le mans gearing. Im not long off trying the 55 Merc',whats your favourite test driver around here?

theres a fair bit of space back to where the houses would be. ill put a street in at the edge of the existing terrain there, then footpath, shrubs and houses... perhaps. we'll see how that goes, but a quick and dirty house assembly there just looked wrong, i prefer the open space a bit rather than houses, well see. ill post some screen shots later and get some opinions.

i dunno if id call it a tight track, ive driven plenty just as tight, but i think 'unforgiving' is a good word. if you screw it up, youre either in the river or upside down doing cartwheels very quickly! i love clipping the end of the 'forrest wall' along the river at 180kmh... i think my best so far is 4.5 complete flips in the air off that one!

glad you like the traffic grooves. keeps you hanging onto the steering wheel eh!

my fav drive is the aston martin dbr9. just 'cause its so strong to drive, and sticks to the ground like noting else. it also slightly resembles my own track car, so thats a bit of a kick too. i enjoy the challenge of a gt40, or a lmp1 type porsche from the 60's, but they can be a bit of a handful! i dont have a huge number of cars in my garage though to be honest, i should try some more!

oh, and in a few mins i should have a new 'driver's seat' vid with the little updates and new textures etc. not that you can prob see the new textures in the youtube compression, but still, i dont have a drivers seat vid up at the moment and figure theyre kinda cool to watch... :)

cheers
ed

ok, youtube agian managed to kill off the finer details. i doubt anyone can see the more detailed textures here that i managed to get out of editing with 3dsimed. in 'real life' i think theyre quite apparent, especially on the trees that overhang the beginning of the tree tunnel along the river, the pine trees, and some of the big trees that line the road along the track near old govt house.

anyway, cool cockpit video of my 1.15 lap below, enjoy! :)

cheers
ed

cheers kris :)

attached is some 'overview' aerial screen grabs from 3dsimed. thought they gave a nice perspective on the course and layout :)

Attachments

• 3dsimed2.jpg
    3dsimed2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 702
  • 3dsimed3.jpg
    3dsimed3.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 907
  • 3dsimed1.jpg
    3dsimed1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 711
?? where, no, no update for the moment :)
edit - ahh i see the link above, nah thats just a cut and paste from my server stats, it brought the link with it it seems

fwiw i googled my track and seems its gone a bit viral to other forums/sim sites. explains where the downloads are going :cool:

im trying to give it 'character' at the moment by adding people, and some smaller detail objects.

anyone know of an xpack with a different selection of 'people' than tha GB xpack?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 131 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 493 39.2%