General Paid mods post your opinion

I think you should also put yourself in the skin of the content creators as well, when some spend thousands of hours doing something and see how some question your work, ethics etc, it's not nice to read, and sometimes it's easy to overreact. We are humans after all :)

It is also very unfair to twist the words and make it look like he insulted those who create free content, because all of us have created free content as well, many of them were/are extremely popular in the downloads section here in RD :)

This "After Midnight" guy reminded me there's an ignore list, he's now the first on mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 134 downloads here at RD
I am still uploading free mods ,
its not like I am making payware and never made any contribution to RD , its quite the opposite ,
so if I offended anyone I offended myself , As I am a member of RD who contribute freeware ,
and a lot of it .
3a2c3bd9dc036a35ad13b6fbd515b002.png

The difference is that with a free mod you have no monetary benefit - the company's not losing out on any potential profit but is perhaps gaining unwanted attention (which is why certain mods have been shut down in the past... obviously that's very infrequent). With paid mods you are directly profiting from the intellectual property of an entity who's not being compensated. Even with doing what URD and RSS do you're not much better off; the likeness of the car still remains and you're still profiting from it. You can go on and on about the copyright infringement of free mods being on an equal level, but it's not, and it will not be treated the same way in a courtroom.

That's my only gripe with paid mods. If you're going to do it, do it correctly and pay for a license. Provided the company you're licensing from is professional in their department, it will benefit both sides.

The correct way would be always to have the license, again. The main issue for them is not that some dude is making money or that they are losing money from that activity (because the quantity is ridiculous), the issue is that some random guy is using their IP, simple as that. And being treated different in a courtroom won't make it more legal either.

Anyway, let's enjoy what we do, as far as I know nobody here is the owner of any car manufacturer :)

By the way, does somebody has the information if the US/Can Goverment are going the same way like the EC?´
I still want to know.
This "After Midnight" guy reminded me there's an ignore list, he's now the first on mine. Hopefully the thread will be closed so we don't have to stand any more *******.
But the onging political process in the background about the future of digital distribution will have consequences for all of us. And to exchange information about it, discussion the circumstances leading to much more restrictions is essential for all using the internet or site like RD.

Last edited by a moderator:
10 hours and 6 pages in what @Kenny Paton saw coming since 2nd post.

Here are my 1.5 cents.
Ladies(?) and gentlemen,
Modders, modders,
Agree to disagree on this, let's move on before some of us get sick of all this.
I wouldn't want to lose anybody of the great modder community we have here.
You don't want that, i don't want that, they don't want that, we don't want that.
And be nice to one another :inlove:
That'll be all from me. Peace.

I have been pointed to this post, so why not add my 2 pence worth....

Paid Mods, WTF is that all about. If you mod, you do it for fun, enjoyment, you try to fill a gap that software companies don't think about, things they think won't make them money. so along come us, the part time people that fill these gaps, for fun!!!

Yes they take time, yes they take blood, sweat and tears, but it's a hobby, how can you justify charging people for something that you do for a hobby, that's almost daylight robbery.

It might look like a Porsche, it might sound / handle like a Porsche, but calling it Dorsche, or Forsche or what ever, doesn't make it right.

If you are going to do a mod, do it for love, do it for passion, don't do it for money. If you look most of the best mods are free ;)

I have been pointed to this post, so why not add my 2 pence worth....

Paid Mods, WTF is that all about. If you mod, you do it for fun, enjoyment, you try to fill a gap that software companies don't think about, things they think won't make them money. so along come us, the part time people that fill these gaps, for fun!!!

Yes they take time, yes they take blood, sweat and tears, but it's a hobby, how can you justify charging people for something that you do for a hobby, that's almost daylight robbery.

It might look like a Porsche, it might sound / handle like a Porsche, but calling it Dorsche, or Forsche or what ever, doesn't make it right.

If you are going to do a mod, do it for love, do it for passion, don't do it for money. If you look most of the best mods are free ;)

These are all really nice sentiments, and I agree that for many this is the way to go.

However, there are some who choose to make this their profession, make it their living. I don't understand why those two scenarios can't coexist nicely together (well they can, they have and they will).
And that's their choice, not yours.

Maybe I'm stupid (really, I might be stupid), but I don't understand the link between you doing it as a hobby, therefore everyone else should too? You do it for fun, therefore no one else should charge for what they do. I really don't get it, surely its up to you what you do with your content, let others get on with what they do.

Soooo... because Jimmy plays football as a hobby, pro's shouldn't make any money?

"Sure, Jimmy puts his blood, sweat and tears into it, but its still a hobby. How could people charge to watch football for something others do as a hobby, that's almost daylight robbery!" /s

----

Honestly the whole topic seems a bit silly to me. I love free mods, I also love payed mods.
If you don't, just avoid it. Really simple.

I think we've all expressed our opinions, and its clear we're not all going to agree.
Can we get back to how this place was a few days ago, please? I really liked it.

These are all really nice sentiments, and I agree that for many this is the way to go.

However, there are some who choose to make this their profession, make it their living. I don't understand why those two scenarios can't coexist nicely together (well they can, they have and they will).
And that's their choice, not yours.

Maybe I'm stupid (really, I might be stupid), but I don't understand the link between you doing it as a hobby, therefore everyone else should too? You do it for fun, therefore no one else should charge for what they do. I really don't get it, surely its up to you what you do with your content, let others get on with what they do.

Soooo... because Jimmy plays football as a hobby, pro's shouldn't make any money?

"Sure, Jimmy puts his blood, sweat and tears into it, but its still a hobby. How could people charge to watch football for something others do as a hobby, that's almost daylight robbery!" /s

----

Honestly the whole topic seems a bit silly to me. I love free mods, I also love payed mods.
If you don't, just avoid it. Really simple.

I think we've all expressed our opinions, and its clear we're not all going to agree.
Can we get back to how this place was a few days ago, please? I really liked it.
Nothing more to add!

All I would like to change (realistically) is either a separate section for commercial content, or some kind of tag or notification, so that those of us that have no interest in using non-Kunos commercial content can be spared page after page of advertising by these people.

All I would like to change (realistically) is either a separate section for commercial content, or some kind of tag or notification, so that those of us that have no interest in using non-Kunos commercial content can be spared page after page of advertising by these people.
I don't think this is a bad idea, more clarity is always good :)

My 2 cents, I think paid mods are the future, you can see in flight sim games and The Sims 3/The Sims 4. Some of these mods wouldn't exist at all if the creator couldn't make some money out of it, so it's not like the community has "lost" anything by having it become a paid mod. No one forces anyone to buy them, so I don't really see an issue with them.

Likewise, no one forces them to make them :whistling:

I can just imagine these people going out with their mates for the evening, offering to drive, and then at the end of the night they demand money for petrol, wear and tear on their car, their time that they spent driving... After all, they don't just do it for fun! :rolleyes:

@garyjpaterson

Some people do it for money without the passion, and some people do it for passion without the money, there is always going to be a divide on this, I agree. I mean some people will say, I spent all these hours why should I not get some money in my account for it, but then I ask, why did you spent hours doing that, because you wanted to , or saw a quick buck to make?

There it really two types of people that mod.

a) Passion
b) Money

It's as simple as that

A) do it because that want to
B) do it to boost their bank account

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back