General Paid mods post your opinion

Paid mods are controverse discussed.
Are the something you appreciate or not?

What about the copyrights problem by using some elses copyrights or another ones work for free to make your own paid content? What about copyrights owners permissions?

Do they have to be marked as commercial content?
I.O. to protect those of us from providing paid mods with their work and ressources that are not marked as commercial content.

Is it advertising for a paid product, putting them into threads like these : what are you working on

What are the long term consequences?

A lot of unsolved questions.

Please stay polite in discussion.

Last edited:
The topic is practically moved on every game that can be modified. Unfortunately, it always ends up the same, many good artists give up creating content because they can not earn anything from it, often endangering insults and bad comments. In my opinion, if money is to help create something wonderful, then ok. Many portals sells car models and Manufacturers do not react :)

A discussion that's been had many times over many years and games, always ends the nascar way.
Sad to hear that.
But is it the correct way to use someones work and gathered informations for a paid content without telling the respective person that is used for a paid mod?
We are all against ripped mods or other illegal content, always removed here(i totally support this), but what is the difference? Are there special rights for modders?

The topic is practically moved on every game that can be modified. Unfortunately, it always ends up the same, many good artists give up creating content because they can not earn anything from it, often endangering insults and bad comments. In my opinion, if money is to help create something wonderful, then ok. Many portals sells car models and Manufacturers do not react :)
But how long... and there are cases where they have reacted.

And what about the expanses and the work of people gathering rare old books, data sheets and other ressources, they use without getting the permission to use it for a commercial content?

Do you think it motivates anyone to provide the next one with informations, doing calculations of engine power etc beeing treated this way?
You know the answer: No

If you want to use some elses work or ressources for a paid mod, you have to tell the respective person about the fact of commercial use. If not, you don`t have the permission of the person to use. Simple as that. And it is not the right thing to cloak the fact of planning to use it for commercial issues.

Last edited:
eq. turbosquid, only bmw and mini are prohibited (many bad looking cars and bmw stop this,It went without penalty). Assetto corsa mod user >20 000 , turbosquid probably 10mln<

It should be noted your issue regarding gathering and passing data for a paid mod unknowingly is a separate issue and should be sorted out privately between those concerned.

Also plenty of paid mods are not licensed content, so there is no argument against them in that respect. I understand your argument about releasing licensed content as payware, but there are plenty of other ways to do this (look at Race Sim Studio as an

For example I could release my FSAE car as a paid mod, and be 100% within my rights to do so because the team commissioned it (assuming the team were also onboard) - (btw this is not the plan AFIAK, just an example).

Not all paid mods are illegal, and you should not categorise them as so.

eq. turbosquid, only bmw and mini are prohibited (many bad looking cars and bmw stop this,It went without penalty). Assetto corsa mod user >20 000 , turbosquid probably 10mln<
Just take a look on the EC homepage and you gonna see where we are going to in future. Very strict rules and copyright laws, especially made for the internet. Several languages are available, they are reacting and they will do it with power.

As long as the intent is made clear for everyone involved, I don't have a single problem with paymods, I've used them in my early days of flightsim, and I still feel fine buying stuff for AC or similar if the quality and care warrants it.

What I don't like (and have made clear around here and elsewhere) is "donationware", where the makers try to use of loopholes to make money without taking responsibilities tied to paymods. I haven't seen them around much in the last year (last blog entry on their site is dated August 2016), but the Simtraxx guys did it like this... pay for "beta access", as in be fine if we give you a half-arsed product and the promise to update it ...someday. I mean I would not chip in the 4€ for a swimming pool ticket if I can't be sure to be able to access all pools beforehand. I may be oldschool in that regard, but if I pay for a product, I want it in its advertised state.

And, regarding this forum, intent of the modder needs to be made clear. Many of us are open to help each other with information and expertise, often unprompted, but I would not like it if I send over, say, non-public documentation to a car, only to get the hypothetical reply "Thanks, this will really help, you will be able to test this car you contributed to if you pay 5€."
Not because I'm against paymods in general, but because I just contributed for free without knowing the intent, and because in general ofc because I contribute to help the project reach release status faster and in a better shape to use myself.

Oh crap, not another. Stop whining and enjoy life.
Sad to see your inappropriate comments. No sign of recognizing doing something wrong by yourself. The usual way you handle problems?:thumbsdown: Simply ask yourself, why people should respect your work, when behaving like this and you have absolutly no respect for other peoples work.

Last edited:
It should be noted your issue regarding gathering and passing data for a paid mod unknowingly is a separate issue and should be sorted out privately between those concerned.

Also plenty of paid mods are not licensed content, so there is no argument against them in that respect. I understand your argument about releasing licensed content as payware, but there are plenty of other ways to do this (look at Race Sim Studio as an

For example I could release my FSAE car as a paid mod, and be 100% within my rights to do so because the team commissioned it (assuming the team were also onboard) - (btw this is not the plan AFIAK, just an example).

Not all paid mods are illegal, and you should not categorise them as so.
I was reading about this a while back ,
GTA is a good example of this and when I personally make cars I change it visually not to represent a mm perfect car ,
GTA do the same make cars , change some visuals and make up some fake names and logos , its been done for years and no one cares because there is no copyright issues with it ,

If you was making a BMW and selling it as a BMW with BMW logos and badges ect ect then obviously its 1000% clear to everyone whats whats regarding this lol ,

most games dont use official licenses ,

Personally speaking ,
would I sit here on my PC 12-15hrs a day 7 days a week for around 6 weeks non stop making a car for free ?
no I simply would not this is my job , I do it for a living and obviously I have a family and need to buy some milk and bread at least once a month ,

so its a case I sell my work but the work is quality and worth buying in my opinion ,
but from reading these comments its about someone taking data and they expected it was a free mod no ?

this subject as been brought up many times and Bram started one back in 2012 I believe ,
its still here on RD same exact thread .

Sad to hear that
Unfortunately the same arguments will be trotted out here, both for and against.
I doubt very much if there's a vast amount of money to be made in modding and given the lack of appreciation they are sometimes shown I don't feel too bad buying them a beer or coffee.
Sadly in this field, as in so many others, as AccAkut says there will be those who take advantage of others generosity.
Fortunately in sim racing they tend to be found it quite quickly.

Sad to see your inappropriate comments. No sign of recognizing doing something wrong by yourself. The usual way you handle problems?:thumbsdown: Simply ask yourself, why people should respect your work, when behaving like this and you have absolutly no respect for other peoples work.

Am I being judged now? I did nothing wrong and if you have a personal issue with me, deal with it accordingly (that's what private messages are for) and stop whining on every thread, it's getting annoying.

@A3DR

Not judging you, but you may want to look in the mirror once in a while and stop going on the defensive. I'm just looking at what you posted here:

Quote from 1 july, posted in the Rallylegends Lancia thread:

For this to belong here, it should be made available to the community, it can be done in two ways: free or payware.
Making the car available only to a private group on another website, simply means it should be kept private, not public.
Otherwise we'll be filled with threads like "hey look at this cool car I've made, but you won't get it".

It's the way that's being presented that's wrong, I'm not against making money with mods at all or this particular team of people. (end quote)

And don't get me wrong here, cause I agree. But what you did just now is exactly the same.

I wasn't talking about you Hal, I was referring to Kasti's post about saying I did something wrong and I don't respect other people's work, which is neither the case, and those are serious accusations against me (it's the only reason I bother replying at all here).

I only posted wip screens of "what I'm working on", that's what that thread is all about. Don't see what's wrong there.

About your quote, don't see how this is related to the car in question? I'm showing screens because it will be available to the community, so what's the point there?

In regards of the data shared from Kasti, I didn't use any of it, so no harm done there. I only took his suggestion about the exhaust type, that's all.

Oh crap, not another. Stop whining and enjoy life.
I really admire your skills. Really :thumbsup:
But to describe every different opinions like yours as whining is not the way you should go. :cool:
I'm also the opinion community modding stop immedially when its done for money. So I'll not use it.
So I'm also just whining?
Ofc you can do what you want but please don't expect everybody is fine with your decisions :cautious:

Just my 2 cents

18 posts in and already
giphy (15).gif

Am I being judged now? I did nothing wrong and if you have a personal issue with me, deal with it accordingly (that's what private messages are for) and stop whining on every thread, it's getting annoying.
You just simply demasked yourself by your actions and comments.:thumbsdown:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 293 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.7%
  • < 5 years