1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paddock Chat

Discussion in 'Xbox One | British GT Championship' started by Rob, May 6, 2015.

1. Rob

XBO: OctoberDusk06 Premium Member

Just a heads up:

Coming soon!!

British GT Series
    No Assists, except TC & ABS.
    Races to follow the actual races in the series, on the same weekend, if possible.
    Past races to be folded in to the future calendar.
    Tracks in the real series will be represented in this league, except Rockingham (Zolder).
    Stewarding, Driver Appeals, and Official Race Department Rules enforced.
    Real time weather, with pCARS GPS weather system and time actuator.
    Full length races with rules matching the series.
    4-5 cars in the GT3 class and possibly another class.
    Most tracks laser scanned.
    Saturdays, most likely, every other weekend. Time TBD.

I'm simply waiting on pCARS to be released before getting ahead of myself. Paddock chat is open if you have any questions or comments. Also, the archive, as you can see if full of pCARS information. I have been following this title from the PC side and developers for quite some time and have created other leagues here at Race Department. Hopefully, this will be loads of fun!
    Last edited: May 10, 2015
  2. Rob

I'll be the first to admit that the xbox gets beaten by the PS4 on framerate, as a constant, but I rarely see it drop below 50-45. Will that matter, when we currently race at 30 just fine? Here is the comparison by Digital Foundry:

More distressing for PS4 users IMO, is the screen blur on the PS4 that's not there on the xbox. Here is an example from the same video. Any explanation? This would drive me nuts compared to a dip to 52 in frame rate....

Right off the bat, the reviewers at Digital Foundy noticed this too:
    Firstly, Xbox One still retains a curious advantage in texture filtering, where static screens show PS4's roads blurring over at a closer proximity. Added to that we also see the same motion blur effect on PS4 as before, with moving objects producing an unusual banding behind them - while Xbox One's blur is more refined (UPDATE 6/5/15 8:16pm: Slightly Mad says that the PS4 artifact is an additional temporal component to its anti-aliasing)."

In some areas during heavy load, the xbox actually performs better, as DF explains:
    With this as a reference point, we next jump into the solo mode to tweak the game's settings ourselves, in a manual fashion. Here we run with all post effects engaged (besides heat haze and vignette, which are disabled by default), the chase camera set to the standard 80 degrees, while car destruction physics are enabled. We also push the car count to 45 on the 24 Hours of Le Mans circuit (one of the few where this is possible), and set rain as our weather of choice.
    The side-effect of pushing the engine to such an extreme is a bizarre one: the differential we see between PS4 and Xbox One in most races begins to disappear. With all vehicles visible ahead on Le Mans, both consoles lurk around 35fps on this circuit as we pass the stands, and frame-rates remain neck-and-neck until we cross the finish line. Given the PS4's strengths on the GPU side, there is an evident trail-off in its benefits with so many cars on screen. In this case, a CPU bottleneck is the likely culprit given the commonality in this area between the two consoles.

In other areas, the PS4 has the advantage:
    By comparison, tracks like Imola and Azure Coast show a clear PS4 advantage, even with the car count cranked up to a lesser 31 and weather effects engaged. In this case Sony's platform glances the 30fps line only briefly as its very worst case, while Xbox One slips just below it. Elsewhere the margin is as wide as 15fps in favour of PS4, and the heavy alpha effects used for rain sees the Xbox One buckling more noticeably. It's an expected outcome given the sheer scale of the task, and impressive in the context of what Project Cars is doing over and above other console racing games.

Overall, they were very impressed with the console effort:
    Taken purely as an assault course for PS4 and Xbox One consoles to run through, results in the solo mode are also intriguing. A 60fps lock is far from guaranteed when tweaking each settings yourself, but the freedom on offer is both impressive and welcomed for a console title. Project Cars is first and foremost a force to be reckoned with in the PC space, but the commitment to getting the most out of these console editions is apparent. Quite how the console duo compare to the PC's very best settings is something we intend to cover soon, and it stands to show how closely the team has optimised the game for each platform.
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
    • Love Love x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  3. On your schedule how is two 41 lap races round spa 'short races' lol

ps just reading through what you have done rob, good effort :)
  4. Rob

Thanks Dan. Yea, I've been plugging away. GT3 is the best fit to start for many reasons. Oh, and thanks for the Spa catch. We would have been racing forever! :O_o:
  5. I did wonder if i had read it wrong. yeah would be looking at 4-6 hours in total there!! currently doingopen wheel in my career i may switch to gt3 next to get a feel for it early doors
  6. Rob

Word from the PC guys is that the GT3 cars are the grippy compared to the higher end ones. And I don't mean Forza grippy, but pCARS grippy...in other words, not going to shock the console world as much. Part of the reason I chose GT3 to start. Glad they confirmed it. Without assists, it's going to be a whole new ballgame. I look forward to it...since I've been wanting this kind of realism all along and am faster the closer we get to real life. Jealous you can play! How are the multiplayer options?
  7. havent looked, dont trust myself going online yet
    • Haha Haha x 2
  8. My name is down for this! On a day I can do too!
    • Like Like x 2
  9. If any one wants to see me run the ginetta g40 junior i just did 2 100% career races, one a sprint race and the next a full race with a mandatory pit stop.

Just a reminder im using a pad and the only assists are the one this series run with in real life with

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rob

Great to have you! I'll start a driver list on a separate thread. I think grids are limited to 16, but depending on the interest and host commitments, we may be able to run two classes or two grids. This is still not set in stone, but I wanted to put an outline out there. The day is solid though.

Oh, and what is your gamertag? Thanks.
  11. Rob

My O/S is so old I can't watch this. :O_o: Any chance it's on YouTube? I'd love to see.

So, are you down for this?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Rob

For those in North America, this may hold you over:
  13. No I just streamed it I'm afraid. I need to do some running with out any assists first
  14. My Gamertag is H3MB3RD
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Would you like the good or bad news here Robert :laugh:
    • Haha Haha x 1
  16. Rob

The paddock chat is your oyster Boothy. Any news you have is always much appreciated. :)
  17. Good News: You've got yourself a very good driver :thumbsup:
    Bad News: Your not going to see him much :laugh: He's alot faster then me :thumbsup:

In unrelated news my PS4 is being returned so may be about for this.
    • Haha Haha x 2
  18. Rob

Boothy, triple good news! Plus Hooper got a wheel, Chris will be forced to if I have to come to Newcastle and make him, and Watts just got a wheel (as did Railer).

Are you still on a pad. You may want to take a look at the assists rules. You may have a wee bit of a better driver now. :geek:
    • Haha Haha x 1
  19. It should be fine anyway the ones that are struggling are using buttons & triggers...I tend to use the sticks so be interested to see if that's any better...
    • Beer Beer x 2
  20. Rob

Peter Evans says it's a massive cluster f*ck for pad users, but playable with loads of practice. And he was no slouch as I remember. Maybe this will prompt more wheel purchases. I know it's expensive, but for racing a SIM it's kind of mandatory, at least on PC, it seems.
    • Agree Agree x 1