Overtaking rules in Formula 1 now slightly more clear for drivers

Thanks to Charlie Whiting who sent a letter to every team.

"any driver defending his position on a straight and before any braking area may use the full width of the track during his first move provided no significant portion of the car attempting to pass is alongside his. Whilst defending in this way the driver may not leave the track without justifiable reason."

To further clarify the situation he later added: "For the avoidance of doubt, if any part of the front wing of the car attempting to pass is alongside the rear wheel of the car in front this will be deemed to be a 'significant portion'."

Autosport.com

Yes it does. It states "provided no significant portion of the car attempting to pass is alongside his" and "the front wing of the car attempting to pass is alongside the rear wheel of the car in front this will be deemed to be a significant portion". So I'll use the example of Hamilton and Maldonado at Valencia. Maldonado's front wing was obviously past Hamilton's rear tyres. With this clarification the move by Hamilton forcing him off the track would be illegal. He would be obligated to leave enough space which is one car width. I'm pretty sure that's what it means anyways, however I thought it's been well known for a long time that a "significant portion" is if your front wing is past his rear tyres so why does he have to clear that up?

Well, I agree. And this is how I first saw it as well. Couldn't quite understand how they needed a clarification on that. But then.

" position on a straight and before any braking area "
The corner itself, and the exit is not mentioned. Therefor, I suddenly believe that nothing will change. Nothing at all.
However, I will be full of joy if I'm wrong!

Yes it does. It states "provided no significant portion of the car attempting to pass is alongside his" and "the front wing of the car attempting to pass is alongside the rear wheel of the car in front this will be deemed to be a significant portion". So I'll use the example of Hamilton and Maldonado at Valencia. Maldonado's front wing was obviously past Hamilton's rear tyres. With this clarification the move by Hamilton forcing him off the track would be illegal. He would be obligated to leave enough space which is one car width. I'm pretty sure that's what it means anyways, however I thought it's been well known for a long time that a "significant portion" is if your front wing is past his rear tyres so why does he have to clear that up?

Apparently that's allowed because Maldonado did it it Webber and Raikkonen in Valenica, Hamilton did it to Maldonado in Valencia, and Maldonado did it to Raikkonen again in Silverstone. In all cases the "significant portion" of the car was alongside. No penalties yet so the FIA is allowing drivers to push others off the track as much as they want.

We also saw in Valencia that Senna got a penalty for cutting in front of Kobayashi and puncturing the former's tire. In Silverstone Di Resta did the same thing but didn't get a penalty, although he didn't finish. I think in Di Resta's case he was forced to make room for Hulkenberg so that led to the collision.

Well Hampus posted this today which means this is news that came out yesterday/today so it wasn't in place in previous races. You can't punish someone for breaking the rules put in place after the race was over ;)

Well, I agree. And this is how I first saw it as well. Couldn't quite understand how they needed a clarification on that. But then.

" position on a straight and before any braking area "
The corner itself, and the exit is not mentioned. Therefor, I suddenly believe that nothing will change. Nothing at all.
However, I will be full of joy if I'm wrong!
But now you mix the two.

Your quote is about defending if you read it to the dot (first sentence)

The other part is about the general rule if someone gets a front wing next to your rear wheel.

Well Hampus posted this today which means this is news that came out yesterday/today so it wasn't in place in previous races. You can't punish someone for breaking the rules put in place after the race was over ;)

The clarification was given at the drivers briefing before Silverstone GP :) According to a post at autosport :)

But now you mix the two.

Your quote is about defending if you read it to the dot (first sentence)

The other part is about the general rule if someone gets a front wing next to your rear wheel.

I don't think I do. The second part is a clarification of what is regarded as "significant portion". Which is mentioned in the first part.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 393 40.1%