Ovals?

I had to give the ovals a shot as I would like to run Indy at the ovals. Well I think I do for now anyway...lol... That may change when I actually get to it...hehe

So I am in the C license trucks now and it's pretty fun, and pretty intense. I don't really understand how it all works yet with the rules and all that kind of thing. Such as there is a wreck and we are all slowed down under yellow. Then all of the sudden I'm being told to let the cars that crashed by me? What is up with that???? I guess I need to find some Nascar rule books online or something since I have never really followed it much at all.

Does anyone else run the Nascar stuff here? I'll have to admit that the trucks are more fun than I thought they would be but my problem is with all this turning left only is that by midpoint in the race I'm leaned over so far to the left that I almost fall out of my chair...hahahaha

OK my next question is about setups. On the road side I have noticed that 18 out of 20 people will give to try to give a setup for people to use. On the Oval side it's as if they are uber topsecret classified and they will have to kill you if you see it. I don't understand that at all.. This isn't real and they aren't going to make a million dollars with it nor are the guys as Nascar going to see a kid in a game and put him in the real thing and turn him lose on a track. It's pixels on a screen people...lol... I understand you can win a bit a cash or prizes but just because you can run the setup very fast doesn't mean that someone new such as myself is going to compete with you. I have met a few guys that were helping someone and I asked a question. They were johny on the spot with the help and setup but that number is about 2 out of 20 compaired to the road side of things. I have also seen a few people go crazy on people too for little mistakes. I find that soooo funny that people get so upset over something that doesn't mean anything. It's really not funny as they sound as if they are about to seriously have a heart attack or something.

Ohh Yeah Joe, tbh i only started doing the roadstuff a few months ago to get both licenses A. But i love ovals alot more as there's always some car close to race with. The RC races seem to spread out alot more and then get boring for me.

A setup on a ovals can make or brake a race a lot more then a RC set imo.... so the guys that are going for there divisions wont easily share til after they did there official race, i found this to happen on RC's to btw.

There a alot of fokes that do share there setups i got a ****load of oval sets i got from iracing buddy's, just stay in there try to make a few friends a look them up for you sessions and iam sure you build up a nice list of buddy's that wil help you out. Also check the cars forum as usually there's a decent base set posted.

When ever i have a bit of race time lets hook up, and i share what i have with out a problem.

I know what you mean, Joe. There seems to be more jerks on the oval side. I quit racing them even though I'd like to get to the upper licenses. I can't setup a car to save my life, so I look for help too. I don't have endless hours to analyze my car/track combo for setting up either. I'm hoping RD gets some oval races going, even just club races once in awhile. hint, hint. :)

Yeah, I joined a practice server for the Daytona race and had some fun doing some drafting. It's intense riding someones bumper for 5 - 6 laps, staying close, managing the bumps, not seeing beyond the car in front of you. Then 2 to 3 wide in the corners. I was worn out after 45 min of just practice! Bring on the 500!

I had to give the ovals a shot as I would like to run Indy at the ovals. Well I think I do for now anyway...lol... That may change when I actually get to it...hehe

So I am in the C license trucks now and it's pretty fun, and pretty intense. I don't really understand how it all works yet with the rules and all that kind of thing. Such as there is a wreck and we are all slowed down under yellow. Then all of the sudden I'm being told to let the cars that crashed by me? What is up with that???? I guess I need to find some Nascar rule books online or something since I have never really followed it much at all.

Does anyone else run the Nascar stuff here? I'll have to admit that the trucks are more fun than I thought they would be but my problem is with all this turning left only is that by midpoint in the race I'm leaned over so far to the left that I almost fall out of my chair...hahahaha

OK my next question is about setups. On the road side I have noticed that 18 out of 20 people will give to try to give a setup for people to use. On the Oval side it's as if they are uber topsecret classified and they will have to kill you if you see it. I don't understand that at all.. This isn't real and they aren't going to make a million dollars with it nor are the guys as Nascar going to see a kid in a game and put him in the real thing and turn him lose on a track. It's pixels on a screen people...lol... I understand you can win a bit a cash or prizes but just because you can run the setup very fast doesn't mean that someone new such as myself is going to compete with you. I have met a few guys that were helping someone and I asked a question. They were johny on the spot with the help and setup but that number is about 2 out of 20 compaired to the road side of things. I have also seen a few people go crazy on people too for little mistakes. I find that soooo funny that people get so upset over something that doesn't mean anything. It's really not funny as they sound as if they are about to seriously have a heart attack or something.

LOL @ Joe, you are right there is a chance you will meet "'Barney Bob the Hill billy"':bang: ,but most off the guys are really OK,and like Lars said willing to share there set-up.
I really like your idea Lars,Ingemar and hoop you get something going

Keep your foot in it and dont let off the gas even when you see mayhem breakin out ahead. Alot of times you can drive right through big wrecks...other times its just if you're gonna get collected, you're gonna get collected!!

Ovals are a lot harder to set up than RCs. I can see why people wouldn't want to share them. A good setup won't cook that right front like a rack of ribs on a grill. Ovals come down to who has the best setup that last the longest. You might be able to stomp the competition the first 10 laps of a run, but if your setup cooks the RF your done.

I'm happy to run some oval racing. Probably more club orientated than full blown iRacing series.

Be interesting to see what the guys have in store forus after the conclusion of the MX-5 Championship.

I know they were hinting that things were in the works so looking forward to what they have for us.

Ovals are a lot harder to set up than RCs. I can see why people wouldn't want to share them. A good setup won't cook that right front like a rack of ribs on a grill. Ovals come down to who has the best setup that last the longest. You might be able to stomp the competition the first 10 laps of a run, but if your setup cooks the RF your done.

I know that it was only practice but, I joined the Daytona practice eventslast night and there were plenty of setups being shared for the CoT. It was sometimes difficult to get a good drafting run but when I did, the setup that I chose ran me a 46.997. I could run the set up all day and out of the draft was low 47's. Overall in the only session that was clean (even including 38 incidents) I finished 5th in a practice field of 60 (with comers and goers).

Makes me wish that I had time to race the Wrigley's Impala at the Daytona 500 event at the weekend, but I just don't have the best part of 3 hours to spare.

I did manage to nip a win and 0X race in the legends at SOBO last night tho. 3.61 and climbing

Yeah, I joined a practice server for the Daytona race and had some fun doing some drafting. It's intense riding someones bumper for 5 - 6 laps, staying close, managing the bumps, not seeing beyond the car in front of you. Then 2 to 3 wide in the corners. I was worn out after 45 min of just practice! Bring on the 500!

My right arm was like popeye by the time i'd finished the sessions that I ran at Daytona Last night.

A lot of oval talk going on. It's funny, because the first ever video game racing I did was on ovals (my brother and me would always get the new Nascar game every year when we were about 11 and 12). Now I can't stand ovals. But I suppose it can be fun when you're in the pack. But the minute you fall behind, I think it would be easier if someone just shot me instead of having to lap alone on an oval.

lol Good luck in the 500 guys! Those practice sessions get TONS of drivers, so obviously, and sadly, there are more oval than road drivers on iRacing.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back