Oval racing on AC?

I found interesting not seen this topic discussed before.

I like oval racing. Is just different to road or any other kind of racing, not better, not worse, simply different. With AC physics and all this variety of cars I think would be very interesting to have an oval track and test the driving experience on it. I am pretty sure some cars would feel on good ground on it, while others may not at all.

I know the lack of yellow flags and some other race session control that is lacked on AC would make racing very hard to handle. I am more thinking about the experience and feeling of cars on this kind of layout.

Any thoughs?

mod-edit: please keep the forum tidy

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend BMW M3 GT2, tops at 280/290 max, with the right tyres/pressures they wont overheat (no 150C but 90-100C), the harder tyres (both compound and pressure) provide just enough grip to keep it on track although they are very slippery. Could provide a different strategy, higher temps = more wear but more grips. Car gets slippery in turns, barely can hold on with 0 degree wing. Compromise is higher tops etc. Fuel usage: 1.7L a lap. Laptimes: 51 low, 50 high

As for the SLS AMG (Street version, safety car) Is able to do 320 on this track, although is very hard to turn around the corners at such speeds and suffers from turn 1 bump at those speeds (safety car shouldnt do 320 anyways, more like 120 :p)

The prefered car type should be more power than downforce?
Otherwise it'lll just keep glued to the road and you won't have to lift or control slides.
So can we rule formula cars out?
How about the 458 S3 and alike ?

Can we reduce surface grip for more sliding?

The prefered car type should be more power than downforce?
Otherwise it'lll just keep glued to the road and you won't have to lift or control slides.
So can we rule formula cars out?
How about the 458 S3 and alike ?

Can we reduce surface grip for more sliding?
Yes, playing with the griplevels surely could add into the fun. Add slight improvements but not more than 3-4% max during the race :)
The old lotus does quite well, but indeed is slightly too glued to the road. This car and 85-90% might work, not tested though. I tested under a full green track.
Might do some testing tomorrow, now busy on a slight artwork ;)

The problem I see is the track itself. I am not a fan of superspeedways, like Daytona of Talladega. Tracks like Michigan, Milwaukee and Atlanta require to prepare for turns rather than be on gas all the time.

Would really like to see some ovals being ported to AC

Yeah, Daytona is both a little boring in most cars & not the best conversion around (aside from that one huge bump, the whole turns are bumpy from not enough polies).
Has anyone managed to record AI on it? I tried but the app wouldn't save anything.

Although in the RUF going sideways at 320km/h because the rear tires are 170C is kinda fun... can get in 1 or 2 46 second laps before the tires burn away.

Well these are a few nice screenshots from my practice laps :p
C1C67FB19738CDE67875615A9C20831C4F20D1C5
723465B426A4D4CC300B2726021C9D09277562BF
6BE1CA6651D01D32172999CB994682FC06560359

Just did a test drive at Jacksonville with the pace car, but I have to mention something very important:
1: Pitcrews are not aligned to the ground, not sure how this will impact pitstops during the race.
2: Spinning and hitting the inside wall warps you over that wall into a pit of endless falling... Jacksonville might not be so good as first thought...

ok, I just tested my own oval track I made in half a day, and I'm going to make an oval pack probably. First though I will release an oval specially made for such an event and thus will need the help of the one wanting to organize such event for preferences like length of the oval, banking, amount of turns, amount of pit stalls needed etc.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 176 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 352 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 491 39.2%