Resource icon

Tracks Oulton Park 1960s. v1.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
In my opinion, one should not bother converting tracks of this digital vintage. They were barely acceptable a decade ago when 1024x768 17" crts were vintage, so they look & feel terrible in a 4k 55" big screen world 15 years later.

So... I could download it and rate it 1-star -OR- I can just skip it. Guess I'll skip.

Sadly it's the limitation of the AI programming in AC, sometimes on certain tracks you get what you get and there doesn't seem to be a way to make it any better. Annoying I know.

Do not blame AC for you not knowing what you are doing. The crazy red lines is the reason the AI won't move and this is not the fault of AC. It is the fault of the track setup. I have no problem ripping on AC when it deserves it, but this it does not deserve.
Screenshot_ks_mclaren_650_gt3_67olton_26-10-117-1-3-6.jpg

EDIT: And before you say "well why don't you help me" the information is out there and I'm tired of repeating myself.

Last edited:
People are too harsh these days. I get so much **** IRL it makes me sad seeing similar online when someone offers something for free but it isn't perfect enough for the Borg mentalities...

I will check out this AI myself, perhaps. Certainly won't be complaining.

But a lot of issues could be easily fixed with some time and care. No scratch-built track would ever be released with fundamental errors. When you spend 6-8 months on a project you make damned sure that you have dotted all the 'eyes' and crossed all the 'tees'.

That is the major problem I have with hurriedly converted tracks that people spend a few days on. There is very little personal investment in the track, and so no real desire to complete it to the best of their abilities
(- sorry :redface:)

Had a great time driving around a park today, thanks. The layout sure is a great compliment to Donington 1938.

I took the Ferrari 250GTO and recorded an AI, found they (the AI) didn't like turn 1 on lap 2, tried again and again eventually braking early for it.
Now I've just had a fun and challenging race, without even tweaking the AI like I normally would obsess over. Guess that's because the car is more suited for sweeping lines.

Replacement edge lines are baked in to the AI file, however I have also included them in the archive as they are a good base to record future lines with.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1pcaq2g0ecm8xoj/'67olton'_AI.zip?dl=0

*Note to above poster having problems with the origin "67olton" archive: I found that '7zip' opens and extracts those files fine, but 'WinRar' fails with that original archive.

@Fat-Alfie I also agree with your thoughts to a degree. I do think it is better to focus on the positives though, and perhaps the author/converter can pick out those positives from the feedback and improve things either next time or with an update. It's not what people say it's the way they say it, almost with a tone. I think this was a very good effort, and the 250GTO and I had a great time.

Personally this track isn't really my thing.
But whatever way you cut, slice or dice it... Gilles is providing this content for free, and has at least done things in the correct way by asking for permission.
Fair enough he might not know the in's and out's of everything AC mod related, but everyone has to start somewhere.

EDIT: And before you say "well why don't you help me" the information is out there and I'm tired of repeating myself.
It's never a good move replying in advance to something someone hasn't even said yet. I'd recommend never doing that.

I think in general, on this site... and in life. If there was a little more gratitude towards the work and time people put into things (be it a few days, a few months or a year), even if it doesn't meet your expectations... it might be a little more inspiring for them to up their game.

Respects to Fabian Biehne for providing a simple solution, and thus actually helping.

Last edited:
@Phoenix77 as counterdefence for Lilski and the others, Gilles has released 3 conversions like this in the last month, and advice and help has been there since his first release. He just hasn't been very appreciative of it, and rather than applying said advice to the already released tracks, he moved to the next conversion :/

Last edited:
@Phoenix77 as counterdefence for Lilski and the others, Gilles has released 3 conversions like this in the last months, and advice and help has been there since his first release. He just hasn't been very appreciative of it, and rather than applying said advice to the already released tracks, he moved to the next conversion :/
No worries mate, I just thought it sounded a bit of a harsh comment...
But sounds like I missed some of the story. Fair play then. :thumbsup:
I appreciate you filling me in on the rest of the details. There's normally more than one way to look at things.
I still stand by my comment that it's never a good idea to second guess what someone's going to say...
Has got me into tons of trouble before... Mostly with women! :roflmao:

I do think that we all have to remember that we're pretty much all doing this for the same reason, adding content to an awesome (maybe not perfect) simulator :)

Yeah, I accept that, but there has to be an element of pride in your work, too. I could have released Feldbergring after 4 weeks - it was driveable, had a high-poly physics mesh, supported races for 24 cars... It was pig ugly and I wasn't proud of the state it was in, so I kept on working on it, and will do until it is the best that I am able to make.
I think that's all we should hope for from modders who provide for free - 'the best that they can achieve', rather than perfection. If their 'best' includes holes in the terrain and faulty AI lines then maybe they need to re-think their chosen hobby :unsure:

Judging by your Thomson Road track, I'm sure that your definition of pig ugly... would still be pretty good looking. :D
Yeah fair points, I reckon it's up to them to choose their hobby though... If people want to download it or not, that's another story.

Communities are supposed to come together. Apprently we try, there are advices galore, 3rd party AI lines (note mine above waving it's arms at zero audience), easy free access to our efforts.

But the vibe right now means I'm losing interest. A noob wouldn't even release anything around here in fear of being slaughtered. It's not as obvious to some about [strike]imperfections[/strike] preferred quality levels of the elite.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 246 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 242 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%