OSR Super Sport Atom Wood DIY Build

I've just got started with SIM racing having bought already got a decent PC and the necessary hardware, I did have to buy a Logitech G29 wheel and pedal set up as I thought a £200 spend was about right for a newbie. Next step was to get Assetto Corsa Ultimate Edition and download some extra tracks, car and some mods, the Sol weather one looks stunning. Have also downloaded and signed up for iRacing but wanted to practise a bit on AC and build my rig first but it was on offer so thought I'd take the plunge.

So I've got the DIY plans for the OSR Super Sport Atom Wood SIM rig (although Steve is currently on holiday, he's been great answering emails from the other side of the world). I'd done some research and various searches on a number of different sites but couldn't find a build of an OSR wood rig, so I thought, hey why don't I stupidly do it! At this point I'd say I've made a garden gate before but that's as far as my wood skills stretch. In light of that I also purchased the additional CNC plans. I was going to print out the standard plans and do all the cutting myself but I don't have the power tools required (or the skills). I then bought 2 8x4ft sheets of 18mm MDF and took the CNC plans to a local company who duly cut out the 11 panels (pics to follow). I've also purchased 4.5m of 1" x 2" timber for the internal corner bracing and another 4.5m also for the side panel support and screw strips (I need to get the assembly PDF for this as it was missing from the initial plans) but have done some maths and 4.5m should do the job.

So panels and timber to hand today I'm going through all the information supplied by OSR and am going to look at putting together the bulkheads and if I'm feeling brave I might tackle the side panels. Here goes.................

ArielAtom.jpg

Once the CNC guys had done their bit, I was left with 11 individual MDF panels. I also purchased the Super Sport Atom Plus plans too, the difference being you use an extra MDF sheet to create 2 more side plates and add joining strips between them to create a double skin effect. I might build one of these down the line, but believe me I am already getting well ahead of myself!!

Panels1.jpg
Panels2.jpg
Panels3.jpg

Upvote 0
Being a novice at woodwork I went with the easiest work first, adding the inner bracing to the front and rear bulkheads as well as lower support strips. I've used 1" x 2" wood for these items. 35mm screws when screwing through the MDF into 1" and 55mm when screwing through the MDF into 2". I've show the front bulkhead below, the same process was used for the rear.
FrontBulkRear.jpg

FrontBulkFront.jpg

Upvote 0
This is gonna be awesome! have you glued the timber to the MDF as well as screwing it? Its certainly different to the usual 8020 rigs, I bet sprayed black it'd look epic
I've not glued the timber to the MDF. Am not sure if I'll regret the decision at a later stage but thus far I'm happy with the rigidity of it. The weak point as you can imagine is across the top of the wheel plate towards the driver due to the large open area of what would be the cockpit. As I say I am a complete novice in woodwork which is why I opted to buy the CNC plans and have them cut out by a company, which for me was really the only way to go to achieve the right results. I'll post some more pictures as I am about completed with the build.

Upvote 0
Apologies for not keeping the build upto date and tracking it with progress posts at the actual speed of the build. So during the process thus far what have I learned? The hardest part has been getting the angles right for the seat plate, cross brace and pedal foot plate and factoring in angling the support strips beneath these items as the rig is angled at 10 degrees. The other thing is having the right tools. The same for any job, but doing this again I'd really want a sturdy workbench and the right power tools. I do have clamps, a circular saw, hand saws, plane and outdoor table but I could have achieved better results with the right kit. The OSR plans are good but building the rig up is left to you. I understand there are a number of different methods to achieve the end result and I have had to fly solo on a number of things due to missing info and being unable to get answers from the supplier of the plans. More competent individuals would probably not have had these struggles or queries.

Ok, so back to the build, the next area I tackled after the front and rear bulkheads was the large side panels. To locate the seat and pedal pieces in place they are again supported on 1" x 2" timber support strips. I used a couple of MDF off cuts to use as a guide for the level of the strips so the MDF panels were as flush as possible with the side panels. As mentioned above the side panels angle in towards the top of the rig so I did take so off the side of the seat and pedal plates accordingly.

I don't doubt the integrity of the build but I decided to use some 25mm x 25mm brackets to hold the seat and foot plates to the support strips also. As mentioned in the post above I haven't used glued on the timber and MDF. My main reason for this was I felt if I could end up with marks around the joins of the panels due to excess glue and it affect the overall result. Having these large MDF pieces anchored to the support strips and side panels would no doubt improve the rigidity of the rig to boot.

Below you'll see bulkhead panels and the side plates fixed in place with the seat and floor plates (I have still to do the cross brace but if I'm being honest I just couldn't get the angles worked out from the plans so I've decided to not use an 18mm MDF panel her but a thinner depth piece braced underneath so it will take the weight of someone standing on it when climbing in and out of the rig. Being thinner it'll be easier to get it to the exact size required and I won't need to worry about the angles on the leading edge of the back of the pedal plate and front of the seat plate).
Front1.jpg

Rear1.jpg

Side1.jpg

Front2.jpg

Upvote 0
With the bulkheads, side panels and seat + pedal plates in place, this leaves 4 panels of the build remaining to add. These are the 2 top brace panels, the top OSR logo'd plate and the wheel support plate. I've used 25mm x 25mm brackets to fix the top OSR plate to the front bulkhead and 2 brace panels. The wheel support plate is located in place on 2 further support strips on the side panel. As I've not got the seat sourced and fitted I've not fixed the wheel support plate to the strips as I'm not sure of the distance it'll need to be from the driver. I've also used longer support strips than the depth of the wheel support plate as ideally it would be good to have this adjustable for distance for the optimum positioning for different people. The 2 top brace panels I've screwed them in place using the pre drilled holes but as noted in the plans screwing into the panels instead of through them can split the MDF so using the brackets on the top plate has added further rigidity to this top section.
Top1.jpg

Top2.jpg

Upvote 0
So we're getting there. Remaining things do are do the lower cross brace panel, source and fit the seat, cable management for the wheel and pedal set up and then monitor mounting. I have a number of monitors and am not sure what route to go on this front. I've purchased the OSR triple monitor stand and CNC plans so this is certainly an option (although all my monitors are different) or if I plan to just use a single screen I may still use the centre monitor section or build something. The other question relates to where to put the pc. As I only have one powerful enough to do my work on and for playing SIM games I will be transferring things to the rig when I want to play, so I'd thought about adding a low shelf to the front of the rig to accommodate the pc and get it off the floor but I need to see what the aesthetics of this would be.

I also had a thought about the pedals and their orientation. I'll need to see what they're like in terms of angles when the seat is in but I'd seen in other builds notably the Ricmotech RS1 where the pedals have been removed from the Logitech base and mounted from above to mimic how they'd be in an actual car. I've also come across a spring upgrade kit for the Logitech pedals which seems to give a stiffer brake pedal etc which I think I might invest in too as braking seems to be my biggest issue in my limited time of playing Assetto Corsa to date.
Rig.jpg

Upvote 0
In the end I didn't get to finish it as we had a flood in our villa and the rig was water damaged :(
View attachment 333406

OH Man, how hard can life be please :-(

I wish you the best of luck and please do a rebuilt. It looked awesome!!

Don't be demotivated, hold your head up and look forward....

.... Or maybe use a alloy rig.
Some should maybe even cheaper than CNC machined wood parts. There are good ones around starting at 400€

Anyway, I keep my fingers crossed for you!!!

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Thursday

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Friday

Votes: 31 38.8%
  • Saturday

Votes: 42 52.5%