Optimal AI For A Beginner?

I've had this problem with all the ISI titles I play on, this isn't just restricted to AMS.

I start a race at 95% AI Strength, get my pathetic laptime blasted during qualifying , then during the race I sneak my way into the middle of the pack from my miserable qualification spot and all of a sudden I'm holding one half of the pack behind me while the rest drive away with no hope for me to catch up. Some even nudge me when I enter a corner and promptly ruin my race (I'm sure everyone here has experienced that in an ISI sim at least once right?).

With no proper internet connection for decent head-to-head racing, what can I do? I don't want to feel like a scrub and promptly turn down the strength to less than 90% and have the AI bots have a little parade while I drive around them.

I've heard about tweaking text files like the PLR file and each track's own AIW file, but it's a bit of a hassle to run back and forth from the game to the text editor just to see and make adjustments.

I understand that AI can never truly replicate human-like yet accessible racing for rookies (at least at this time), but I think there's something wrong when I'm stuck in between a huge gap where the ones behind me are waiting for my inevitable mistake as I watch the ones ahead leave me in the dust.

If there's one thing I can describe ISI AI, it's inconsistent.

You should try using Talent files for drivers and maybe upgrades engine powers for teams to make it more realistic then spending time to look for a sweet spot on the ai % setting, along with, talent files, engine powers mine is actually at 88% ai strenght

I will look for other tweaks you can do, getting ai to pit during races is a good one.

All info around here on the forums.

First thing, I would check your lap times and see if you are faster in quali or in race.
I was like you, my lap times were actually better in race, when I was following the ais; on my own in quali I was slower. I used to tweak the ai files for years (for GTR² but still ISI motor so pretty similar) to have matching ais in both cases.
With AMS, I tried online racing for the first time. I'm at the back of the pack of course! And no adjustment slider here… :) So I had to concentrate a lot more on my driving. Thankfully there is a warm atmosphere in the club, I got some advices that helped. Then I followed the Academy; man, this made me make huge progresses! I'm now able to find my path a lot better and I can at last be faster in qual (with less fuel and fresh tires) than in race. I still play offline races too of course. I don't have the problem of slower ais in race anymore… I still need to improve a lot; but that's an another story!
Once I've found the proper difficulty setting , I enjoy racing with ais! This is key: hugely, getting nudged from behind means the ais are set too high… And the difficulty is different for each car: on some serie I go as low as 92%, on others as high as 114%! But then I can use the same setting across every track for a given serie. Using a lower setting will help you to have cleaner races and improve, then you will set the ais a bit higher, and so on.
That's why I suggest looking at your lap times before messing with file editing. But that is still a way of course! ;)

Track knowledge is another big factor also.In practice learn every inch of the track your racing and push as hard as you can.It's surprising how much time you find on some corners.You think you've found your limit, and realise you were no where near your limit.

If you set AI higher than what you're capable of they will ruin each of your races because they will take corners recklessly and will spin you around sooner or later.
Leave your ego behind in the pitlane and choose an AI strength you're able to race at instead of blocking half of the field whilst the leader is 2 seconds faster than you.

"I don't want to feel like a scrub" - you don't have to.
Racing is a matter of endless learning and improving.

Watch "Skip Barber going faster" on youTube, spectate AI how they drive, stick long enough to a car / track to know it good enough instead of switching cars and tracks all the time and you will become better and faster.

To build racecraft you have to race. If 95% AI is too fast for you, go down to 90%.
Soon your consistency and pace will allow you to set the AI stronger.

Here are a few random and unorganized thoughts that will hopefully be of some help:
The ai tends to slowly speed up during the race.
They can sometimes be a bit slow on the first lap.
This can mean that if you jump past a bunch in the beginning or pass aggressively then you may be passing cars that are essentially faster than you and end up leading a train of cars.

I find that picking a reasonable ai strength, and treating the starts and passing as if I were racing other people or online tends to help. If the ai strength is close and you are using original tracks and cars not mods I find they rarely tap me under braking or from behind.

Also, be aware that there is a massive disparity in AI strength between series. You might find that you set AI strength at 95% for the Formula Vee at VIR and can manage a podium finish, then try to race the Boxers at 95% at VIR and be lucky to survive a lap without being smashed off the track by apparently homicidal AI. Set them down to 85% and lower the aggression and have an enjoyable challenging race again. The point is to find an AI level that gives you enjoyable offline racing, not an AI level that you can brag about on forums.

Hey if I race at AI at 70% no one on here will ever know!! Of course I rarely race at anything under 150%, other wise I am just way too fast. :) Yes, that is the story I will go with.
Ha! As long as you're not one of those w@#$ers who post youtube videos showing themselves racing against "120%" AI - yet somehow breezing past the AI on straights as though the AI were 70% :).

Of interest is just your thrill and enjoyment of racing and the fun of improving ;)
This! I think the learning and improving is one of the best parts of sim racing.

Like xnorb said, "skip barber going faster" is a great video that you can find on youtube, and I also highly recommend Ross Bentley's speed secrets series. I am currently going through one of the ecourses and have read quite a bit of his writing and find it is great for those wanting to learn and improve. There are also free tips and short articles on his web page.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 360 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 180 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%