Open Letter to Reiza and Kunos

Just a re-post from my blog...

Dear Sim Saviors,

Only weeks ago, my sim racing had been in the doldrums for so long I had accepted the fact that the best sim racing had to offer is behind us ; at least with respect to my personal interests.

Obscenely large chunks of my life have been spent trying to make modern sim racing work for myself and others like me. Looking back through the history of my various blogs and reflecting on the leagues, mods and solutions I have built over the past 4 years reveals a story of excitement and anticipation transforming into hope and trying to help before finally and reluctantly giving way to despair...until the last few weeks.

Reiza,

You have been very consistent and powering along developing a high-quality sim (all of which I've owned from the very beginning) that merely lacked cars I was interested in. But now the new Automobilista is so user-friendly, immersive and challenging (in addition to having the amazing tracks) that I enjoy driving anything in it and the Formula Retro now occupies a VIP spot in my sim garage. And since '60s F1 is one of my specialties (second only to '60s/'70s tin tops), I am literally frightened about how those cars will affect my marriage.

Kunos,

I don't know what you did or how you arrived at version 7 of the tire model but I don't care. After an incredibly long wait (since HistorX, frankly), I am now back in the saddle of some of the greatest high power historic vehicles of all time with my favorites being the Cobra, GT40, F40 and Yellowbird. Wow. Just wow. Given how I have fallen prey to "wanting to like something" in the past, I was very careful not to get excited too early ; but after pushing these vehicles extremely hard through a number of scenarios it is clear that this is the real deal.

So thanks to both of you for saving sim racing for me. Even if this sounds silly to you, keep in mind that (not being on the inside) I don't know what you know so enjoy the accolades because you've certainly earned it ; and not only for the end result, but also (perhaps more so) for your passion, hard work and understanding of your communities which clearly shines through in these titles.

Sincerely,

Kevin Knorpp
Professionalsimracing.com

I agree 100%. Interestingly, both are small outfits. It seems bigger developers, in their effort to appeal to greater audiences, have lost touch with their core public and with what really matters to them: driving realism first, graphics (and assorted eye candy) a distant second.

Don't mean to exclude Sector 3 by any means. I just don't have much experience with it. I did, of course, have to test drive this just earlier today and was pretty awesome :thumbsup:

l1gj9714zq2et59zg.jpg

I'd probably spring for this if they let me change setup during test drives.

I agree completely with your opinions of AMS and AC, since the latest updates. But there is another sim in my stable that has taken a large step forward with their latest update - R3E, thanks to Reiza, Kunos, and Sector3! Problem is, not enough time for all :confused: But its a great problem to have :)

I don't know what you did or how you arrived at version 7 of the tire model but I don't care.
Agree 110% with this. I think simmers get too wound up and embroiled in the whole realism thing and the science thereof. I say as long as what is delivered to the sim driver FEELS realistic or make that believable then I think it is the real deal or getting there. Afterall we are talking of an off the shelf commercial $30-$100 GAME or pretend race cars if you wish and not state-of-the-art motor racing simulation software which costs hundreds of thousands.
So back to the 110% agreement - I am also of the school that says: Don't care how you did it, but you did it. Bravo!

Does the Historx mod work on AMS?

Haven't tried it. Was able to get it working in Stock Car Extreme but FFB in some cars was not as good as in rF1 and also on replay some of cars looked to be floating above shadow. In general, feel and performance is better in rF1 so only advantage to converting IMO is SCE tracks. AMS, dunno. Of course, as an aside, historic cars (at least vintage supercars) feel amazing in AC version 1.5.

• Deleted member 130869

I am not sold on the new tires, or at least something with turbo-powered cars. It's like the power delivery or the throttle response worsened in the game, and also there's a point early in the tire curve that it gives up. I don't drive AC much (as seen by my videos) so I need more time, but the one non-turbo car I've touched was quite pleasant to drive - Lamborghini Miura.

Don't mean to exclude Sector 3 by any means. I just don't have much experience with it. I did, of course, have to test drive this just earlier today and was pretty awesome :thumbsup:

l1gj9714zq2et59zg.jpg

I'd probably spring for this if they let me change setup during test drives.

Don't, yet. Aside from the Corvette DP, it is the only content I purchased. It's easy to throw it around and like a DiRT Rally for circuit racing, but it has to have the core improved.

I am not sold on the new tires, or at least something with turbo-powered cars. It's like the power delivery or the throttle response worsened in the game, and also there's a point early in the tire curve that it gives up. I don't drive AC much (as seen by my videos) so I need more time, but the one non-turbo car I've touched was quite pleasant to drive - Lamborghini Miura.

Totally agree, I've only tried the 98T then subsequently moaned enough about it, but something does not feel right somewhere. The balance of the car is not as adjustable via the throttle as it was, there is not the same resolution. Unlike AMS which has stunning throttle response.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 131 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 493 39.2%