Open Beta Released?

Just letting you guys know that I've just logged into Steam and it has started downloading a 4.6gb update for the Teaser, so I assume this is the Open Beta. :)

Not sure if it will be playable yet, plus I think the store needs to be set up for us to buy the Get Real mode etc, but I'm downloading the update now!

Yay!

So, if I buy stuff now, I am assuming these will carry on to when the game goes gold and live right? I mean, yeah, obvious, I know, but you gotta ask :redface:

Cause I'm kind of a bit cautious to buy dlc now at a beta stage. It's not like, for example, rF2, you buy the game and that is it, this has DLCs...if you know what I mean :)
Everything you buy now is real money and you keep :)
As for the comments about the GUI, it's fairly intuitive once you get used to it. It's nice to have the option to DRIVE from various screens and IMO has rather favourable loading times..which is one of my biggest gripes with many games/sims these days :)

Does configuring a controller with or without the profiler (G27) make a massive difference? Cause I just tried without and the car in undrivable. There's a massive amount of lag from when you turn the wheel to anything actually happening in game.

Also, the GUI; very arcadish. Not saying is bad, but it sure will take getting used to.

When I tried last night I had similar problems with my G27 with or without the profiler, had to turn almost full lock just to make a 3rd gear corner. After rebooting today and running it without the profiler it works much better, more like the 540 rotation and lock I'm used to.

Got to say the graphics and sound are excellent. Handling and physics definitely has the Simbin DNA in it. I'm finding it a bit vague and numb at times though, hopefully some tweaking will help.

The sim itself really has great potential but I do feel reluctant to spend money on cars and tracks when AC is on the horizon, plus so much content to race in my other sims.

Does configuring a controller with or without the profiler (G27) make a massive difference? Cause I just tried without and the car in undrivable. There's a massive amount of lag from when you turn the wheel to anything actually happening in game.

Also, the GUI; very arcadish. Not saying is bad, but it sure will take getting used to.
Set the rotation in the profiler and the wheel lock in the FFB settings, something like this
540°/15 or 900°/26 and ajust the wheel lock you like.

I was looking forward to this but im really dissapointed by this new engine :(. It looks choppy even at 100 fps and there is just too much input lag which ruins the whole driving experience for me. Also it seems very badly optimized, it doesnt even look that good even on maximum and it gives awful framerates. In my opinion sim developers should keep using the rf1 engine if this is what happens if they dont.
:(

The teaser had some annoying microstutter on my system but this beta is running very smoothly at 60fps, maxed out with vsync on. I get the odd stutter in replays but that's probably due to my aging 6870.

Well it looks like all the stutter I am having with 80/90 FPS has nothing to do with my PC. It seems I'm not the only one with this issue. It's so annoying, I can't have 1:1 input because the game decides to lag sometimes. I'm running graphics all on low so I can get higher FPS, but I still get lag/stutter.

Maybe, considering this is a beta, the engine will improve and start running smoother. :)

enabling Vsync seemed to remove the choppyness, but the input lag is still there. it just makes the driving feel so floaty, I feel like im not in control of the car
There are some tricks to solving some of these issues. For the stuttering, some find that increasing the graphics load actually helps - also, be sure that the "Pre-render Frames" is set to 1 in your graphics card settings. This setting alone pretty much solved the problem on my system.

For steering lag issues: G25/G27 rotation set to 540 & wheel lock (in-game) set to about 15

There is some debate about what gives the best FFB feel but, I eliminated the steering lag by using the commonly recommended "Sim" settings. Using the default settings in the profiler will make it feel like there is a coil-spring between the wheel and the input shaft with my G25. In other words, reduce dampening and spring FX to zero in the profiler. Also, be sure that the in-game steering sensitivity is 50% (linear/default) If you have too little or too much steer input on the car, change the "Steering Lock" in-game to find the sweet spot for you.

There is a whole different approach using a custom profiler setup for R3E that some swear by but, I have not tried that yet myself.

I recommend searching the R3E forums, I'm sure there is more info that can help.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.5%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 323 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 458 39.3%