OnLive: Games on demand announced

Noble idea guys, but being on the hardware side I dont see how you will get the bandwidth to generate super dupper graphics and game play without proper local hardware. Today one of the major bottleneck in a PC is the communication between the processor and memory (and to some minor extend graphics). Graphics were more or less resolved. They have their own powerful GPU (and the will only get more powerful google Larabee). Until we get some beyond fast internet hook ups to our houses OnLive content will feel more like 1999 than 2009 :)

Have u ever watched console's games video and said "wow amazing", but once you get the game it is not as impressive?

I havent watched the video, but I read the concept. Today we still experience lag playing most of the games online. All games only share a very small data between the clients (players). Now we are talking about sending HD quality movies through the pipeline and be responsive? I'll wait an see, but until the network communication is improved I don't see it being a viable solution for a large majority of players.

However, I do hope I am wrong as no matter what there is a need for a huge computing power at either end:)

Finally, I wouldnt worry too much about MSFT, Sony, etc... their revenue per console are pretty small. They would only move into the back end server/content provider business which is more lucrative.

I understand where you're coming from on this. There is a requirement for at least a 1.5 Mbps connection for 'standard tv' quality and 5 Mbps for 'hd' quality. Other then that, their claim is with an entry level computer, even with onboard graphics, you're set to go. I realize there are still parts of the world, many parts, that still don't have access to that kind of bandwidth. However, if they don't, then playing regular video games online will be a limitation anyway.

You really should watch the video and see who they are, and what they have to say. These are not some guys who just popped out of the woodwork to perpetrate the biggest joke since the West Bros. They are not people who would jeopardize their reputations over this.

Bad for other companies though, some will take a huge nosedive.
Let's wait and see how the Beta goes. Most things that sound to good to be true are just that.

I don't see any immediate threat from onlive to businesses as is, but I do agree, "if" they get this right, the long term impact of onlive could be massive.

However, like I said, let's wait and see how onlive fairs during the beta testing. It just might end in a disaster of lag.

Alen the basic principle is that instead off doing all the complexed calculations required for the game on your computer they are done on a remote server and your computer just streams a high definition video feed from it.

Robert, I'd say it is very likely this is more of a survey thing, the depth of Beta testing will be started soon. Specifics like operating systems and specs will come after the interest is logged.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 347 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 241 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 239 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.4%