Online Racing with MODS?

Hi All,

Just wanted to know, what your honest opinion and thoughts are on this. RD kindly started an Ginetta club race, and with over 34K downloads, it obviously proved very popular, but number for sign up was less that 0.5%, which seems a little strange to me.

Now I first of all put this down to the lack of LODS (as that is what I was told) but due to the low poly count of this car, (less than half of a Kunos Car) I stuggle to think this is the cause.

Is it because of the 34K dowloads, most are not premium Members (hence why I am asking here) and cannot sign up to RD Races?

It's not just the Ginetta, the F3 Cup by RSR, which for me is the benchmark for Mods, it's fantastic in every sense, but this has LODS, and again, sign up was less than 0.5% of overall downloads.

Is it because people struggle to install them?

Thanks for reading RD Community, and cannot wait to hear your views.

Regards

Shaun

There probably are plenty people who only use RD for finding mods.

Thats how i found RD years ago and i used the site only for getting mods. Lost interested in the site after the many (or all?) were forced to be deleted. Cant remember it correctly, but the site changed a lot at that time, was there some kind of crash? Anyway, i think thats the biggest reason for it

We run mods in MP often on ALOOG1, participation is not that bad IMO (90% are regulars though I guess.) We had 20 players join NJMP in the E30 M3 S1 and AE86 Tuned yesterday and the track had only been out for a matter of hours.

Some of the best tracks available for Assetto Corsa are mods so we will continue to use them and hopefully people will continue to join in.

I like mod cars that add to a grid of existing Kunos cars, like the upcoming T70 that should give the 917K some period competition.

Hi All,

Just wanted to know, what your honest opinion and thoughts are on this. RD kindly started an Ginetta club race, and with over 34K downloads, it obviously proved very popular, but number for sign up was less that 0.5%, which seems a little strange to me.

Now I first of all put this down to the lack of LODS (as that is what I was told) but due to the low poly count of this car, (less than half of a Kunos Car) I stuggle to think this is the cause.

Is it because of the 34K dowloads, most are not premium Members (hence why I am asking here) and cannot sign up to RD Races?

It's not just the Ginetta, the F3 Cup by RSR, which for me is the benchmark for Mods, it's fantastic in every sense, but this has LODS, and again, sign up was less than 0.5% of overall downloads.

Is it because people struggle to install them?

Thanks for reading RD Community, and cannot wait to hear your views.

Regards

Shaun
I would take these download numbers with a grain of salt, there is a known bug so that the download number artificially increases when using a download manager: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/closed-deleted.103239/page-3

I don't think people are put off of a particular club event simply because a mod car is being used. When turnout is low it can be any number of things. For example, with the Ginettas it has almost certainly been because they've been run on the same night as particularly popular events in rival sims. There's a lot of crossover between sims so one will often draw people away from another, something which is unfortunately unavoidable given the number of events going on in the clubs each day.

But there can be other reasons too... some people choose to only run stock content, perhaps they're not keen on the car itself or the track being used, midweek events might be lower attended because people work and need their beauty sleep, maybe those downloading a mod don't actually race online at all, etc etc.

To be perfectly honest, the AC club has some issues with attendance anyway and it's not limited to mods. Check out the last few weeks worth of events... ten drivers is often the maximum, even in the 911 Cup and GT3 events which seemed far more popular (20+ grids) back in January. In my opinion this has more to do with the way things are in Assetto Corsa, with it's focus on individual cars and road-going varieties, rather than groups of racing cars within the same class that can be raced together. There's no question that AC is an excellent driving simulation, but I think it's way behind it's rivals as a racing simulation. Sad but true. :unsure:

In fact, I'm a Premium member at RD ... meaning to race other sims than AC. ( and as fidelity to a site where I feel at home for a few years )
But I cannot find time enough to do it as I'm too busy in my own league with AC.

The problem with AC is ... what Ross explained in his last paragraph, but moreover AC uses very very poor penalties.
As from the very beginning I'm totally allergic to those ridiculous and sometimes dangerous slow down penalties, I'll never drive on a server using them..... I'm too used to race with original penalties disabled and replaced by PitLane Penalty App. ( more logical cut detections with Drive through as penalty )
It asks admin controls .... as there are no server rules to control apps and no possible black flag when penalties are not taken but that's impossible to apply due to missing features needed.

That should be the only reason why I'd surely avoid AC in Racing Clubs if I had time to drive at RD. :(

I still don't understand why after so much time since Early Access the hotlap penalty system is not replaced by a racing penalty system.:whistling:

I'm actively using mods but I rarely play online and I'm not an RD premium member so I'm not going to participate in these races. I don't have the sim rig to be really competitive nor the time to do competitive racing. Nothing to do with the sim whatsoever, it's the same with any sim.

I'm actively using mods but I rarely play online and I'm not an RD premium member so I'm not going to participate in these races. I don't have the sim rig to be really competitive nor the time to do competitive racing. Nothing to do with the sim whatsoever, it's the same with any sim.
I'm exact the opposite. 95% online racing. And I would be happy to see more of the good mods on public servers online...

Well, I said nothing about mods on public servers. It would be nice to see that and I have nothing against that. I'm just replying to OP that there's some people like me that don't really do online racing but download the mods. I just tend to spend my time with the game offline.

In fact, I'm a Premium member at RD ... meaning to race other sims than AC. ( and as fidelity to a site where I feel at home for a few years )
But I cannot find time enough to do it as I'm too busy in my own league with AC.

The problem with AC is ... what Ross explained in his last paragraph, but moreover AC uses very very poor penalties.
As from the very beginning I'm totally allergic to those ridiculous and sometimes dangerous slow down penalties, I'll never drive on a server using them..... I'm too used to race with original penalties disabled and replaced by PitLane Penalty App. ( more logical cut detections with Drive through as penalty )
It asks admin controls .... as there are no server rules to control apps and no possible black flag when penalties are not taken but that's impossible to apply due to missing features needed.

That should be the only reason why I'd surely avoid AC in Racing Clubs if I had time to drive at RD. :(

I still don't understand why after so much time since Early Access the hotlap penalty system is not replaced by a racing penalty system.:whistling:

I'm not sure about the other guys, but when I run club races I have penalties disabled. One, because they suck, and two, because we're all a bunch of friendly, clean racers and they generally aren't needed. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the precision, Brandon :thumbsup:.... as I tried to find this kind of rule written somewhere in the Racing Club rules for AC and could not find anything about this.... that's why I supposed those penalties were active
Of course, AC is the exception .... with a so poor original penalty system.... :D .

I'm also a very clean driver ... but in AC when you receive a penalty for slightly missing a curve and find yourself in the grass with a big penalty message even in a straight .... it's really crazy !

I'll be there once if I really find a bit of free time ... and why not with the ... Ginetta this wednesday... it'll make me a bit of vacation. ;). ( even as back marker surely )

Sorry for this wednesday ... I thought I just had to work for our next championships ... but I forgot we were organizing an open race on friday which I cannot miss.... and promised my wife to be a bit more present than .... staying too much at my PC :speechless::whistling:

But it'll be just postponed for a racing club. ;)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 313 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 215 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 211 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 273 13.4%