One year in - My impressions

I joined rF2 open beta one year ago and wanted to share my thoughts about rF2 in general but also about mods and tracks since I have just completed some pruning of my installed mods and, especially, tracks as number has grown large and there are mods and tracks that I simply am never going to bother with.

The depth of the rF2 experience is also part of this as I don't find myself in need of so much new content as I am content to run many of the best tracks over and over since no two laps are the same because of the physics detail and dynamic conditions.

I'd like to begin by talking about track quality:

ISI tracks - While some tracks have issues or issues pop up from builds, etc. ISI tracks will all most likely be excellent quality IMO. I must, however disclose that I personally don't require perfect graphics and am blissfully ignorant of lighting technology, etc. and want to stay that way :). Having said that, however, graphics bugs or excessively ugly or poorly-converted tracks will ruin immersion for me so I will comment on those below. ISI's tracks will undoubtedly exceed my needs as long as bugs are worked out.

VLM tracks - Sebring, Mid-OH and Topeka are all excellent, immersive & popular. Not sure if there are others. VLM continues to have a very strong reputation for quality.

Feels3 tracks - Feels3 is literally an artist and it shows in his tracks, which are incredibly beautiful. His completed tracks include Croft, Putnam Park & Poznan and he is currently working on Interlagos and what appears to be a stunning fantasy track Blackwater Lake.

Tuttle - The Top Gear test track is stunning. Tuttle now works for ISI which is great.

Good conversions of rF1 tracks - I'm bundling these together although there are multiple developers. Tracks include Orchard Lake, Imola, British GP, Essington, Lienz, Toban, Barcelona and Oran Park. It must be mentioned that Toban and especially Lienz are standouts IMO as exceptionally beautiful and involved much effort beyond conversion. Other tracks are more basic but very solid and largely bug-free and immersive.

Euskotracks - These are fantasy tracks with great layouts which is a shame because they are so ugly. One incredible standout is Tres Millas, which is still being developed but is clearly on another level that I hope is an indicator of what is to come. I can only dream that Euskotracks will retrofit existing tracks with Tres Millas-quality graphics.

Other good tracks - Botniaring, Bahrain, Pukekohe Park 2013, Texas World Speedway, Motorsports Ranch, Hidden Valley, Mountain Forest, Snetterton, some of the DTM conversions & Sears Point.

Horrible tracks to avoid - 70s conversion tracks, especially u.s. gp. The only thing worse than these tracks is the modern Watkins Glen which is simply unplayable. People who run these tracks are simply desperate to run these particular tracks, regardless of condition. There are surely many more so best way to be safe is focus on tracks which are good and download others at your own risk.

The good news is that rF2's depth and dynamics keeps tracks fresh and a constant stream of low-quality mods are simply unnecessary for me at least because I don't find myself getting bored like I have with past sims.

I apologize if I mix up conversions vs. scratch-built vs. something in-between. Also, there are tracks that I have not tested which are not in the above.

Regarding mods:

60s cars - Excellent. My primary car is Spark F2. I can instantly cure any track that is boring with that car by pulling out the Spark F1. 60s F3s are also great and incredibly popular.

Skip Barber - Excellent. Easily one of the most convincing mods if not THE most convincing.

Lola - Excellent. Still in development so model, FPS, etc. tweaks needed but incredible nonetheless.

Modern open wheel & high downforce - No comment as I don't drive.

None of the others have held my interest, although I will say that the new Clio and old 370Z physics are decent. Unfortunately, the tire sounds completely ruin the immersion on these and others also.

Regarding sim in general, I believe it is coming together but only time will tell if too slowly. ISI definitely knows physics but is very immature regarding software development, project management & most certainly relationship management. Without a doubt, this product would not have had a prayer without community feedback and despite that there will be both gaping holes and design elements that couldn't be worse if you tried. Fortunately, none of that changes the fact that rF2 has made all other sims irrelevant to me :).

Tim has said that all content is being brought to a 1.4x version. As he said, when you see the version 1.4x in a certain component, you know that its the definate version. Not sure where I saw it, but I know I did see it.

I am also pretty sure the skippy will be updated and released, although I am not sure it will be updated driving wise. Perhaps its just a new release. Nobody can tell for now :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 117 12.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 93 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 87 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 61 6.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 125 13.7%