Old Australian Circuits Group (OACG)

Old Australian Circuits Group (OACG)

This thread is to propose a collaborative effort to produce some more old Australian circuits. The idea is anyone interested, be they Australian or otherwise, can get onboard and help with creating an old Australian circuit. By now most of us are well aware that it takes quite a while to produce a good rendition of a circuit, so by pooling talents and dividing workloads we might be able to produce higher quality circuits and more quickly.

Tasks could be divided into circuit layout, terrain, textures, trackside objects, gathering reference material, etc.

Some people have experience with the major programs like photoshop and 3D studio Max, others are quite new track making and are just getting into BTB but are full of new ideas and enthusiasm. Some participants might live much closer to the old circuits or roads and be able to provide material and real-world experience.

Obviously this has a chance of turning out badly with people getting in a huff and withdrawing their work from projects, but hopefully a common interest in the circuits could keep people together and working happily. Users can be as involved as they wish, or merely model a building or two if they choose. There should be no obligation to continue with a project if you lose the inclination, but it would be nice if you could allow others to continue your work.

and here is a link for some inspiration : http://tasman-series.com/misc/lostcircuits/lostcircuits.asp

http://rfactorcentral.com/list.cfm?cat=Tracks&region=Oceania has a list of currently available rFactor circuits from the Oceania region though most are more modern versions.

So, if anyone is interested (you don't need to be Australian), post a reply and perhaps name an Australian circuit that you would like to see in rFactor/Simbin titles.

I'll start the bidding with Lobethal 1937-48 :smile: It would be a lot of work and that's why I wouldn't want to do it on my own. And I don't live anywhere near Lobethal.
more info: http://tasman-series.com/misc/lostcircuits/lobethal/lobethal.asp

Cheers,
woochoo

Gday thren & ed

Gday thren & ed,
1st up here's some jpegs of some bike magazine articals about Gnoo Blas & Parramatta park you may find interesting/useful.
2nd of all congrates on your choices of tracks, tried Parra briefly last night & about to have another squirt at it,but I'd just like to,very nice! I like the way your going with it.
Id also like to have a chat(on your own thred though)about GPS-ing & related bits if thats OK?
C ya there,BLeeK

PS. The attachments got mixed up there.

haha, thanks heaps!

ok, so there was obviously far less trees around in 1952! i gotta say, i do prefer the depth that the trees give the course the way it stands today, just another reason to call this track a classic/modern hybrid! lol. and railway corner is significantly different to the way it stands today. it clearly looks like the road comes down the hill and turns hard right at the end of the railway brickwork, whereas today, the road goes past there another 50m or so then sweeps more gently. you can actually see that on the last page of photos you sent too. theres a drain that runs through that area and emerges under the track (you can see that in the track) but i never even bothered to try and render the bridge itself as its just drowned in trees and the road just screams past it... hmm what to do about that? if you slow down or stop at the drain/creek crossing that was railway corner, you can see ive made a releif into the terrain as if it were there, and ive not put trees into it. not sure what to do now though.... maybe make the brickwork and spray some anti war graffitti on it, but keep the road as it? a hard corner there really would screw up the speed run down the hill and the transition onto the main straight.

the other cool thing from those pics is the use of white wooden fencing that ill steal and integrate, along with small flags in the dirt on the inside corner of turn one.

that, and the surface looks pretty close to what ive got, what im quite happy about!

i think they too have the car (long) circuit incorrect. everyone seems to think the 'main gate' hairpin is at the main gate where the regular traffic enters and exists the park. to run the track this way would take race traffic out into one of the main streets in parramatta CBD, requiring its closure, along with the track inside the park. that, firstly, just sounds extremely unlikely. as if the police comissioner would allow a major city road closure just to accomodate a hairpin. what i think is far more liekly, is a hairpin at the 'old main gate' near the bowling green about 150m before the current main gate. the way the original road and main drive runs there, there is a perfect traffic island to run a hairpin around, and it all stays within the confines of the park proper. it suits the flow through that sector far better, and as you walk the track, as a track designer, that hairpin is begging to be used. on top of that, there is existing old sandstone at the current main gate, and the way it curves around would suggest that to run a race through its shape would be a major PITA.

now that was just my 2c, and from the very first time i started to play with this track, i thought that hairpin just looked wrong. but it was just a gut feeling. then one day i tripped over the following news article, and its all felt a lot better, so thats the circuit i went with :)

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...7094873&dq=parramatta+park+motor+racing&hl=en

cheers guys

ed

ok... i did a bit of both over lunch today, and am happy with the blend :) i put the bridge culvet in, and shifted the apex of the corner back closer to its original position at the end wall of the bridge. i still didnt make it quite like the pics in that article, as that would throw out how the track links up, plus i dont see the value of aiming that downhill straight right into the face of the brickwall :) its close though, and you get the feel of scraping past. just not turning literally against the wall :)

cheers for that!!

one thing that would be great if you still have that article... can you do higher res scans of the images with the bridge in it? mainly so i can see the texture, and also read whatever graffitti is on there? thatd be awesome :)

ALSO... and this is for anyone... could someone make an object of a single wooded white fence section as per pics above? i cant do that kinda stuff. im sure its easy, but consider me retarded :)

cheers
ed

That railway corner looks a lot like the Viaduct at Longford!
I can understand your situation, thinking you have things in pretty good shape, then someone comes along with lots of historic source material, so you have to make revisions to stuff you've already spent hours or days on. Ah well, keep at it!

ALSO... and this is for anyone... could someone make an object of a single wooded white fence section as per pics above? i cant do that kinda stuff. im sure its easy, but consider me retarded :)d

Something like this?
fence.jpg
Check your email or PM me if you don't get it.
Cheers

okay... so maybe im pushing my luck, but i need to ask, for i SUCK at this model building business!

i need some really simple models to fill in some gaps on my track

first one is the parramatta park bath house

IMG_3933.JPG

second one is the boar war memorial which stands next to it:

P7030034_l.jpg

and finally is the old gate house, a simple wodden cottage...

be buggered if i can find a photo online though, and i cant upload jack at the moment till i get myy new intahwebs connection sorted.

anyways... anyone interested and capable of helping?

doesnt need to be mind blowing accuracy or details, just the colour and the shape to put in to fill the holes up :)

as mentioned elsewhere, happy to chip in some coin to whoever wants to do it, i dont expect freebies, im just too old and stibborn to learn how to do this 3d modelling stuff!

cheers
ed

Brought this over from another thred because Im really stuck.

Has anyone had experience at merging rout data with 3d route builder before feeding it into BTB?
Ive tried various methods but I keep ending up with at least two paths/roads that shouldn't be there,intermingled with my track.
Is there some way around this or should I try to overlay/join them in BTB?
When Ive tried to delete them in 3dRD & BTB, I end up loosing bits of my track that want.
Im not good at scratch building & Ive been heavily relying on GE/GPS data.
Here's a couple of jpegs to show what I mean.
The trouble is under the bit that says "start/finish line..." There's actually two of them paths tangled there.​
paperclip.png
Attached Thumbnails

Hey BLeeK,

First off, those thumbnails dont show a larger image when you clikc on them :confused:, so cant see what you mean.

I`ve been playing with 3dRB and getting height data from google earth into BTB. Successfully too. But that is with a 3.5km track.
Is your track a larger distance?

If you give me the location, i`ll try and get it from GE to 3dRB and then into BTB and see what i get.

Gday Kris,
Thanks heaps for this,if you dont mind I'll send you some of the bits I got in a PM.
Ive cheeted, there should be a place mark on GoggleE @ the bellow location.
The start/finish line is located at 34:47'03.00"S by
149:44'09.75"E on the goggleE and goes in an anti-clockwise dirrection.
Although the original track was 84kms, with current road maps it measures around 77kms
due to trimming with road re-alinments over the years. Ive managed to massage that back into
80.4km(50ml) in 3dRD.
Im not sure right now the size of the smaller loop, I think it's about 5.8ks.
Both of them load into BTB perfectly by themselves it's whenI combine them in 3dRD then go to BTB.
Ive watched a track merging Tut' & fiddled with T-intersection type of things, but Im unsure of merging 2 circuits & a bit daunted by it, I was hoping 3dRD could do that for me too.
There is an excelent book called "The Racing Boys" by Wayne Addams that Ive been using for many
references & can forward on to anyone interested.

ahhh,i see what your trying to achieve now.

i dont think you can merge 2 seperate 'paths' in 3dRB, but i`ll have a play with it.
Merging tracks in BTB isn`t difficult, just fiddly.

It seems our very own R Soul has made a step-by-step guide for merging tracks, abit like an advanced tutorial. Maybe wait for him to upload that vid and try again with merging in BTB?
If not, i could have a bash for you.

Id be very interested in seeing that tutorial.
In the meantime, if you'd like to have a crack at it you're more than welcome.
I sent my Eh?mail to you just before,if you contact me through it I can send you some of the bits Ive already done
Thanks heaps!

PS Yeah those photo's suck,they where bigger before!

Howdy Ed,
The thred dropped out for a while last night.
Kris,
I Did some checking on my GE data & that small loop is actually 10.118km(6.27ml),
a far way from that 5.8k I guessed at last night!
Two questions to anyone,when I attach my jpegs here,how do I get them to come through full size?
And, does anyone know where I can find a cattle grid please?
Is yellow a possibility?

use a plain jpg of a cattle grid, apply it to a material and set that to rmbl ??

with the images, perhaps youre trying to attach a pic thats too large for the attachment management software, and its scaling it down for you?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back