1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Old and slow. Sim recommendation please

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by David Hudson, Sep 3, 2016.

1. There seems to be more and more PC race sims these days. I have Assetto Corsa on my PC at the moment and used to enjoy Race07.

I'm looking at recommendations for a sim where there are the most racers so I can find someone as slow as me to race with. I also like practising with decent AI opponents.

So what's the recommendation, AC, Automobilista, PCars?

Thanks

2. ouvert

ouvert
    Premium Member

I currently limited my 'always installed' collection to:
    • Automobilista: feel, physics, FFB, immersion, AI, sounds, MP racing here on RD - you could hang with me and other slow runners mid pack and just listen to John singing on teamspeak now and than :) , don`t forget to download briliant map pack by Patrick G.
    • R3E: sounds, complete racing series, nice selection of cars, SP racing, probably best version of Nordschleife
    • Assetto Corsa: road cars, casual "jump in for 5 laps" multiplayer races, some historic openwheelers, now trying again "career" mode, still curious where developement will end up with this one
    Project Cars is kind of meh .. AI is bad, physics are very car dependable, setuping FFB is mess ... and you already have AC, so no point talking about it :)

rF2 .. has physics and FFB but you are kind of forced to use mods, more of a platform than a game, to me only makes sense for more serious league racing ...

If I had to choose only one I guess I`ll stick with Automobilista

• Like Like x 1
  3. With automobilista there are two purchase options. Is it worth getting getting the doc season pass at all or is the base game sufficient?

4. ouvert

ouvert
    Premium Member

If you like the base game it is no brainer .. I would go for season pass .. you`ll get all DLCs for free and from what we know so far they are gona be interesting and access to beta .. given that first DLC is Brits pack with Brands Hatch, Cadwell Park, laserscanned Oulton Park and two Ulitima GTRs, MRC S2000, few Catherhams and Fromula Ford like openwheeler that alone is worth those extra few bucks .. that Brit pack DLC will cost 19.99USD .. so just base game and this DLC and you are pretty much on the price of season pass ...

There were an option to get base game and update to premium for 20 something USD but it was about to end sometimes now .. not sure when ..

http://forum.reizastudios.com/pages/buy-automobilista/

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Backmarker Champion 2015 & so far this year. Staff Premium Member

Hi, you'll find all the clubs here on Race Department full of friendly people of all levels of skills and pace, and will be made welcome in any of them..
    Ouvert has summarised the games quite nicely and I wouldn't disagree with him although I don't think pCars is quite as bad as he said.
    Automobilista is a good choice and with Steams refund policy you can get the chance to try it and then decide.
    Off course I'm going to stick up for R3E, and once again there is the free to play content, which is of a very high standard and all cars can be test driven before purchase. So easy to give it a try as well.
    Whichever choice you make I hope you enjoy it and have fun. Look forward to seeing you on track.

• Like Like x 1
  6. fortyfivekev

fortyfivekev
    Premium Member

For offline racing AMS is great and has a very good variety of cars included + you can get the CART mod from here and the EEC GT3 mod from their site to widen it even further. AMS does not have as much public server racing as AC so for online you need to race with a club/league. If you think you would like the Brit Pack (coming in the next month or so) with Brands, Cadwell, Oulton, Caterham, FFord, Ultima then get the season pass.

7. Thanks for that. I tend to avoid public servers. Too many bad experiences on Forza :)