1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old and slow but back on PC again!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Connor Caple, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Connor Caple

Connor Caple
    Slowest Racer in Town...

Hi all,

They didn't have this forum when I first joined back in 2009 and a lot of faces have changed here since then, so I thought I'd better re-introduce myself.:barefoot:

I am over 50 years old and a very, very slow racer. I seem to be incapable of getting fast cars around the track without hitting a tyre wall or beaching into a gravel trap, but I do my very best to avoid spoiling other people's races and am very 'clean' in my racing style. I love Minis, but don't feel that I drive them very well compared to any of the regulars here.

I took up sim-racing back in 2009 after a year or so of Forza on 360 with the MS FF Wheel as my 'retirement hobby'. I dropped in here, got licensed and picked up a Saitek wheel which lasted me about a month before I sold it and bought a Logitech G25 instead. Race On/07/Evo was my game of choice back then (and still one of my favourites) along with RFactor.

I have raced here on PS3 too, in GT5 and GT6, because my wheel worked there too. ;)

I picked up Asetto Corsa from the RD Store in May 2014 but wasn't really able to play it because my old PC was very slow and creaky, a bit like its owner. I now have a shiny new, mid-range PC and the game finally works with 11 other cars on the track! :D

I'm looking forward to getting into some AC races, but I'll probably aim for a Race 07 Mini Friday as my first return to actual Sim Racing here, because I always loved those years ago.

More Steam Friends from RD would be nice, so if anyone wants someone easy to beat in their races, I'm your man! :roflmao:

Steam profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/riever/

See you all in TS or on the track! :thumbsup:
    • Like Like x 2
  2. jimortality

Premium Member

Hi mate, welcome to the over 50's club. I'm slow as well but I'm definitely improving with the help of the people on here. I mainly Game Stock Car Extreme but also own all the others.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Welcome back Connor, I'm an "oldie" (52) too and not very fast but, it doesn't get any better than sim-racing on the PC for me. There are some great club races held here with a good bunch of guys. I hope to see you on the track sometime.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. smasha

Premium Member

I'm slow also ,that's why I'm petrified of joining league races.
    I started late in my 30s.
    WEll I raced on an amiga but that was using a digital joystick (geoff Crammond's f1gp),also indy 500 with a mouse hehe.
    I think you have to start in your teens to be very proficient.
    JUst did a 25 lap iracing v8 supercars at Spa on my own lol and could only manage a 2.30 lap time lmaooo.
    I simrace because it gets rid of stress.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  5. jimortality

Premium Member

I don't know how old you are mate but stop worrying about how fast you are and just enjoy the experience.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. quicksilver384

Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #85 Staff

I have been racing sims since GTR2 and I had Gran Turismo and Forza when they were great although not true sims (here come the fan boys :) )

but I have to agree with @jimortality. I am by far not the fastest guy on track and in a lot of cases I get lapped several time but its the enjoyment and banter with the guys on here that makes me want more.

Trust me when you get to join us you will also be hooked.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. smasha

Premium Member

I get down on myself when I'm at the back of the grid all the time.
    I practice my arse off for no return.
    I have **** genes.:(
  8. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Backmarker Champion 2015 & so far this year. Staff Premium Member

One of the best ways to improve and enjoy, is as the guys have said, to join the club races, they are fun and there's no pressure but plenty of help is available.
  9. fortyfivekev

Premium Member

There are lots of older simracers on RD, I am 53. If your PC has trouble with AC then maybe give Automobilista a try as it's a bit less resource intensive.
    • Agree Agree x 2