Tracks Okayama [W.I.P] scratch made

I know. I only use Maps for track shape (from top view) and for many details around the track. For elevations I have used different stuff.
But didn`t try using LIDAR, even if I tried to, but couldn`t make it work somehow. Did you?
I don't recommend using Google Earth even for the top down. It can be crazy inaccurate!

As for using lidar I have never had any issues with it. NJMP Lightning is on lidar and Watkins Glen has a functioning layout built on lidar as well as Augusta International. Once you load up some lidar data and compare to GE you will see just how bad GE is in just about all aspects. Object placement is all it is good for.

@BenCollins, indeed, this is a great idea. I still remember it from GT Legends, cool track, quite demanding, even pretty slow. How do you know they will be happy to see their track in AC?
It sucks because google maps hasn`t been there yet. So lot`s of useful info is hidden from me.

I am from Ireland originally and know a bit about Mondello. It has fallen out of favour over the last few years with many racing series. I can't guarantee they would be happy to work with you, but I think they will. They will want to see their track present in modern sims. If you approach them in the right way, they may give you some of the data you need.

I am happy to approach them for you if you like? I can give them a call and see what they think of it. Just let me know, will call them if you are ok with it.

I am from Ireland originally and know a bit about Mondello. It has fallen out of favour over the last few years with many racing series. I can't guarantee they would be happy to work with you, but I think they will. They will want to see their track present in modern sims. If you approach them in the right way, they may give you some of the data you need.

I am happy to approach them for you if you like? I can give them a call and see what they think of it. Just let me know, will call them if you are ok with it.
Wow, seems very nice.

Is that just a matter of it being too small, or facilities too old? I remember quite liking it back in the Toca days.
Not quite sure why. The circuit itself hasn't changed at all. It used to host a BTCC and British Formula 3 round, but not anymore.

Like I said, it's popularity is dying.

It's quite flat, with a lot of 3rd gear turns. It's rallycross circuit is probably it's best, but it is Ireland's only dedicated motor racing circuit and is the centre of all Irish motor racing. Think Eddie Jordan and Eddie Irvine.

A great modded track would be fantastic for the circuit owners and for us sim owners!
I will call them tomorrow and let you know what they say.

Kyalami will a huge morsel after all, because of many technical reasons. I don`t know where can I get some useful data from (elevations).
- Google with its Street View has not been there yet,
- http://elevationmap.net has some strange data, which are not real,
- SketchUp has an old track`s layout inside (dont know how, but it has).

I am waiting the track owners if they have something for me. Else would be literally impossible.

I don't recommend using Google Earth even for the top down. It can be crazy inaccurate!
Eh, the one track I've compared (Sebring, hmm what's the euphemism... retopoed lidar data, that'll do) was very good match in 2d. The main problems were things too small for Google Maps - exact curb locations, getting props positioned closer than a foot of accuracy, sort of thing. No more distortion than the lidar. Getting accurate height data is the huge benefit of having lidar data. To the point I'd suggest sticking to tracks where lidar's available if you care about track feel anyway. (it won't get bumps but camber/slopes are fine)

Then again maybe the company who produced the mesh used Google Maps to correct their lidar scan from drift, I don't know their methods.

Eh, the one track I've compared (Sebring, hmm what's the euphemism... retopoed lidar data, that'll do) was very good match in 2d. The main problems were things too small for Google Maps - exact curb locations, getting props positioned closer than a foot of accuracy, sort of thing. No more distortion than the lidar. Getting accurate height data is the huge benefit of having lidar data. To the point I'd suggest sticking to tracks where lidar's available if you care about track feel anyway.

Then again maybe the company who produced the mesh used Google Maps to correct their lidar scan from drift, I don't know their methods.
The 4 tracks I have looked up were not even close. No amount of tweaking could get the GE image to line up to the data. One track was Summit point where the image had some massive distortion. So at this point I will never trust GE imaging. Some may be better than others but it has been 0-4 for me.

Oh yeah it's worth mentioning Sebring has less than 5 feet of elevation change over the entire course, you can't use airphoto data for stuff with real elevation. They take a lot of it at like 30-45 degrees from vertical which means 30-50% of elevation turns into horizontal movement.

Oh yeah it's worth mentioning Sebring has less than 5 feet of elevation change over the entire course, you can't use airphoto data for stuff with real elevation. They take a lot of it at like 30-45 degrees from vertical which means 30-50% of elevation turns into horizontal movement.
Are you talking about the angle from where Google takes images for the Maps?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%