F1 2011 Official support series in F1 2011

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)

Bram

Founder & Administrator
Staff
Premium
Looking at the first footage of the F1 2011 it looks to me a bit of a continuation of last years game with some tweaks here and there.

What I wondered for the '10 season and again for the upcoming game: how come that the official support series like GP2 and Porsche Supercup haven't been included?

Not a good idea - Porsches etc handle completely differently to F1 cars - do you really want Codies spending time coding two separate handling models? Both will suffer.

Yes, I don't mind having more content. The Porsche is just a single make class. Not that hard to make some proper physics for it, most simracing games have more than one type of car.

@license: could be a problem, just thinking out loud here :)

According to CM's philosophy with the game: "Be the driver, live the life (go compete)" I would say that it's unlikely they would include Porsche and GP2 to the game. The reason being that there are different drivers for each series and in the game you are racing as 1 driver (yourself) so realistically it wouldn't make sense for you to drive F1, Porsche and GP2 in the same race weekend.

If CM are willing to redesign career mode, I think this would be something to consider since it includes the whole race weekend and not just the F1 race. Maybe they could do an F1 only mode and a race weekend mode?

GP2 would be pretty sweet since it's the stepping stone to F1 and is a spec car series. It really all comes down to the setup and the driver. The handling characteristics are very similar to F1 cars and it wouldn't require a new physics engine. Just take off DRS/KERS, limit the setup changes, weight, downforce, power, etc to what the GP2 regulations call for and you've got a GP2 car. And since it's only 1 car for the entire series you don't have to balance things like the RB7 having tons more downforce, but less straightline speed vs the McLaren.

If it weren't for the licensing thing I'd love to see it. Start your career doing a season in GP2 and then move up to a lower tier F1 car if you do well.

Maybe, if Codies could get hold of the FIA licence itself, as opposed to just the F1 licence, they could add this sort of thing, and transfers of drivers to and from different teams would be possible as well; it's a bit of a pain that the F1 world stays the same for seven whole years - no backrunner making progress to midfield, no driver transfers and no new drivers. Gives it all a somewhat static feel. :(

I suppose handling and so on wouldn't be too much of an issue - as someone said, just nab the physics from GRiD or something and tweak them a bit.

Those GP2 boys were rocking at Monaco by the way.
I think I saw lap times of 1m17sec. Only 5 sec off top tier teams (and prob close to HRT etc)
As I can remember, Pole was high 1:21 this year. It's still really fast, only 2 slower than HRT.

In game "WRC 2010" there are lower rally series included. GP2 would be really cool!

And what "F1 2010 Rocks" said, that's boring and unrealistic, when drivers are staying at same team every season. Would love to see GP2 boys in next seasons in F1 2011

It's an important part of 'Live the Life' - having new rivals come in, old ones leaving or moving to a different team. F1 simply doesn't stay the same for seven years - Codies have got to find a way round this.

They did they made it a five year career instead ;)

Jusgt kidding, I agree it would be good to see some changes within teams and new drivers, don't really see why that would be too much of an issue coding wise but maybe it's a license thing again.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 351 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 486 39.1%