F1 2011 Official DRS Thread

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Apologies if psoted before, but I'd liek to start a new thread now the game is out.

When is best to use DRS? I can't see much benefit.

KERS is great, especially pulling out of a slow corner. But DRS?

Advice please.

Thanks

Any idea where the detection line is?

Hopefully some mod will come out that shows this on the minimap or whatever, CM gave us a 1, 2 and 3 indicating the sectors, but I don't think there are any lines that indicate DRS detection/use?
Like a lot of people said, very hard to see in cockpit view.

you cant be serious right? if you followed F1 so far you would know. Your Engineer tells you when DRS is available. DRS markers are WAAAAAAAY too visible to you to miss. seriously....how can ppl not see DRS zones? we do watch F1 right?

Damn.. Again.. Find out where the DRS zone is in the game and just press the DRS button (I'm sure it won't hurt you much if you activate it a little later) so they won't be doing any kind of patches to show your lazy a$ses where the DRS zone is. On Monza btw there are no 2 DRS zones and on every other track after Monza they (Codemasters) choose to add the zones themselves cause the FIA only announce DRS zones on a race weekend. So in Monza for example you have the whole start finish line instead of the DRS zone being cut off by half of the finish line.

Hey guys first of all the game is awesome the playness is very handy and pure enjoyable..btw sorry if i'm repeating something, but here my problem is:

I raced Spa on GP mode, and i cant use DRS, i mean im not allowed to use it in whichever lap i am.
I see the DRS symbol always grey in the bottom right. does anyone knows why this happens? :S i can use DRS on P's & Q's but not in races =S

you cant be serious right? if you followed F1 so far you would know. Your Engineer tells you when DRS is available. DRS markers are WAAAAAAAY too visible to you to miss. seriously....how can ppl not see DRS zones? we do watch F1 right?
I know when it's available and I did spot a red marker on the minimap showing the beginning of the DRS zone in races.

Hey guys first of all the game is awesome the playness is very handy and pure enjoyable..btw sorry if i'm repeating something, but here my problem is:

I raced Spa on GP mode, and i cant use DRS, i mean im not allowed to use it in whichever lap i am.
I see the DRS symbol always grey in the bottom right. does anyone knows why this happens? :S i can use DRS on P's & Q's but not in races =S

if it was a wet race DRS is disabled, or if it was a dry race you might not have been in the 1 second window behind another car

I would not mind seeing an option there for toggle / hold on the DRS switch, having it on toggle can catch you out if you have your DRS open then go into a sweeping corner where you don't brake at entry, just lift or downshift, you can easily forget your DRS is open and have an off. Makes some corners very busy in the cockpit, but I guess its realistic and I know in F1, some drivers prefer Toggle some prefer hold, I just feel hold is safer, less chance to forget you have activated it when using the hold method.

For those having problems with DRS in races, you have to be LESS THAN ONE SECOND BEHIND A CAR and the race HAS TO BE DRY. so you have to be close to the car in front, and it will only work on certain parts of the track.

The rules are kind of strict for casual players that may not have been watching the entire 2011 season though, plus with TV coverage so hard to come by I'm sure some that would like to watch it are unable to.

in the USA only channel that carries it is SPEED which is a "premium" channel = costs more to have it

and to clear up, the DRS activation line/DRS detection line are 2 different things, the detection line is somewhere before the activation line where you can open the wing up and sometimes it's hard to see it especially in the middle of a corner where you're not looking down at the pavement, like montreal or monaco. as far as I can tell it's anywhere from 1-5 seconds before the DRS activation zone. (I believe in SPA the detection line is before eau rouge and the activation line is considerably further up the track on the straight. so if you make your pass at eau rouge and stay on the track somehow, you can still use DRS to pull further away)

I gathered some very useful information from reading this thread. Thanks fellas.

EDIT: WOW. After putting my newly acquired information to use, I improved my laptime at Istanbul by a full second to a 1:25.161. Enough to take the pole on professional diffuculty setting. Something I WAS having trouble with. :)

Online just now some guy made a mistake at La Source on the final lap and I was right behind him going into Eau Rouge but I wasnt allowed to use DRS on him on the following straight. The more I play the more bugs Im seeing.

Online just now some guy made a mistake at La Source on the final lap and I was right behind him going into Eau Rouge but I wasnt allowed to use DRS on him on the following straight. The more I play the more bugs Im seeing.

Hmm, dunno what to tell you except maybe you weren't quite within a second at the detection line, occording to FIA the detection line is 235 M before turn 2 (eau rouge) or right after the track kinks to the right a few hundred meters out of la source

or it could be a bug xD

EDIT: Oh and to clarify, had you done at least 2 laps since the start of the race or a restart from a safety car? There's a 2 lap period after a start or restart where you can not use DRS. Also you have to be on dry tires.

This is probably a safety concern, and also designed to keep lower paced cars from using DRS to overtake. (you gotta prove you can hang with the cars in front for a couple of laps)

Just to clarify a point raised by Andrew Dunn, if you haven't noticed yet but if you hit the button that activates your DRS after you've activated DRS it de-activates it if you get my drift ! ie that particular switch acts as an on off swtch..1 push on push it again and it's off!!
As previously stated you can only use DRS in the DRS activation zone when 1) you were within 1 second of the car infront when in the DRS detection zone
2) If the weather is raining never especially if your on wets or inters
3) After the end of lap 2 unless the above weather conditions prevail.!

Also DRS and Kers are really meant to be used together for overtaking but as previously stated Kers and DRS are freely available in practice and Quali to use as you will. Kers is an 8 second power boost (an extra 80BHP) to be used where ever the driver feels it will benefit his/her laptime and can be used from "off the line" if a driver chooses. I hope this clarifies all things KERS and DRS related.

P.S. I was racing in career mode with 20 % race distance on professional level at Melbourne ,got pole so i was doing ok led the first stint until pitting for tyres, after pitting i re-emerged in second thinking ok Vettles in 1st he's still gotta pit, checked the splits and he was 23 seconds ahead so that confirmed it. Carried on chasing him down to within 16 seconds thinking last lap he pits i'm home free..did he buggery pit and beat me by 15 seconds. So i'm thinking Christ on a bike he must have been shifting ,still thinking he must have pitted on the same lap or some lap before me. Checked the fastest lap times and i was 2 tenths quicker than him so i can only assume he never pitted and that there is a bug in the software somewhere so you been warned lol!!

DRS Maps

I've finally found some DRS Zone maps.

Thought it's often self-explanatory where you can ACTIVATE your DRS, it's not always clear where the DETECTION line is. I believe the DRS Zones are announced by the FIA shortly before each race, hence the page linked to below only has about 14 tracks.

Also because of those same restrictions and the release schedule, Codemasters didn't know for sure where some of these zones were going to be, so they had to make educated guesses, and probably had a bit of insider knowledge.

Anyway ...... it's better than nothing, so here they are (at the bottom of the page) :-

http://www.nexusf1.com/content.php?r=257-Drag-Reduction-System

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 103 8.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 185 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 363 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing