F1 2011 Official 11/11 spring thread

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)

Richard Knight

GP2 - No.1 Virgin
Every game has it's flaws, 2010 was great, bugs and all but this major bug ruins it for me. Xbox league on hold for fix.
Please send a message to Coddies and complain! Please add any links you can, thanks

12/10/11 Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this topic! Okay, so this is not a bug! Check out John Robertsons post below, I think this sums it up nicely. We will be starting the Xbox leagues on the 20th Nov with a limit of 9/9 spring settings. As John says "we want our lap times to be a little more realistic". Hopefully CM will fix this physics flaw in the next patch (but don't hold your breath lol)

<removed the links>

"no it's not a bug, it's a flaw in the physics that codemasters used.

setting higher springs should make the car more responsive, less resistant to body roll, reduce cornering grip and traction, and increase tire wear

for some reason it doesn't work like that, it does make the car more responsive and roll resistant, but it actually increases grip and traction, and doesn't seem to have an effect on tire wear.

It's not correct, even within the game, as they've listed set up tips in the game based on real life, but following these directions to help your set up won't work.

It's up to you what you do with that info, I personally don't set my springs higher than 7/7 now and the league I race in follows that rule as well, but if you're trying to go as fast as the game will allow you to go then you've gotta set it at 11/11

The problem people have with it is that it's not remotely based on real life, and gives you an unreal amount of grip. the reason my league has capped it at 7/7 is because we want our lap times to be a little more realistic. doing 1:20's at singapore is just absurd xD"
John Robertson

faster but its classed as cheating, i personally don't mind ppl using it as -
1) when its patched there going to suffer in relation to the ones who don't use it.
2) there cheating themselves out of a good game.

Well... for people that say don't get used to it... get used to what? It takes about 5~10 minutes to get used to new track. 1 or 2 minutes adapting to a new car. Do people really struggle that much adapting to a new setup?

And as for cheating aspect, spring currently is a difficulty slider. It's not that 11/11 immediately switches on a cheat. 10/10 is cheating compared to 9/9 and so on. But who decides which settings are realistic. Driven actual F1 car lately? So basically, as I get better and faster on a track, I have to slow myself down by decreasing the springs? And it's not just springs by the way. To a lesser degree but wings, roll bars, and ride height are all just difficulty slider. Take a look at all the setups posted. It's all pretty much the same every track.

If 11/11 springs would make my set-up better - I would use it. Same as 11/1 wings in 2010... But to be honest, 11/11 is crap... Unstable car. In 1-3 laps races it's good, but I'm driving only carrer with 100% distance and I need good, balanced and stable set-up. My springs are always beetwen 6-9, because that's the best for me. If someone feels comfortable with 11/11, I don't see why people should not use it.

Main problem isn't 11/11 springs for sure. Problem is with 11/11 springs + TCS. With assists disabled in online races (50%-100%) I think ppl with 11/11 would end no higher than P4...

11/11 make me very slow. maybe is because i play with pad.... all who have wheel are fast... so ....with normal wings like 3-3 or 4-4 i gain my time like 1 sec... and with other config i gain 1,5 - 2 sec.

but meaby u are fast in race with fuel simulation (50& 100%) but in qualifying is impossible

(all IMHO)

It does eat the tyres away more yeah, but I didnt find that to be a problem so long as you are careful at the end of the life of the tyres, It still works out well to justify using it for a 100% race. With that said, most of my races were done on 20% and at Valencia I did have tyre wear issues that ruined my race. But that is the only race, I also have it at 1/1 (ride height) and 10/10 springs, along with a varience of other tweaks and adjustments to the car.

I tested the bug at Singapore in a wet race because I was drunk and wanted to find out what lap the rain stopped lol. Was lap 30 ish and with the bug it felt like I was driving in the dry I do play with assists on but I play on legend with fuel/tires sim and yet at about lap 30 I had lapped most of the field. When I did the race the next day properly I put the car setup to 10/10 without the bug and boy did I know it was raining on average 3 seconds slower each lap.

You have payed for the game and its personal what assists you want to use.
My choice is a real as possible-no assists.
If you use 11/11 it is just another assist in my view along with TCS, ABS, Auto gears, Racing Line, No Fuel Sim, no tyre wear, replays.
If thats how you enjoy the game no probs-enjoy.

There are roughly speaking 2 camps in my view;
a) Max assists
b) Min assists.

When I started in F1 2010 I had them all on. Each one I dropped, the game grew. Got to expert mode-thrilled.
In 2011 I started in Expert mode. A race win is a thrill, taking Monaco 50% in career Williams from P10 great fun or Spa in 50% distance awesome.
Thats how I want to race. PPL can how they want to. If you turn on 11/11 its just one more assist on the list.

The problem isnt that though, its more the case that if you dont run 11/11 online you are at a major dissadvantage if other people are using it in the room. This is the reason that i do tend to use 11/11 if racing online with unknown people. What would be the point in taming my spring settings if all it does is make me 2 seconds a lap slower and therefore uncompetitve? Its somewhat like picking a HRT in real life when theres a Red Bull on offer to drive!

THAT SAID -

I do hate 11/11 and cant wait until codemasters has sorted the problem out in a patch. I mainly race with guys from another forum and we always limit the springs to 8/8. I cant emphasize just how much more realistic it feels to drive with 8/8 springs. Much more of an authentic experiance and although not as quick you do have much more of a feel to how the car reacts through corners. For me 11/11 counteracts everything that CM has accomplished with the handling physics in F12011, at 8/8 the physics excells!! Fuel sim off and Tyre sim off are also big no no's in my eyes for simular reasons but i can see why some people would want to run assists.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 346 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 238 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 236 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 176 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 297 13.4%