F1 2011 Official 11/11 spring thread

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)

Richard Knight

GP2 - No.1 Virgin
Every game has it's flaws, 2010 was great, bugs and all but this major bug ruins it for me. Xbox league on hold for fix.
Please send a message to Coddies and complain! Please add any links you can, thanks

12/10/11 Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this topic! Okay, so this is not a bug! Check out John Robertsons post below, I think this sums it up nicely. We will be starting the Xbox leagues on the 20th Nov with a limit of 9/9 spring settings. As John says "we want our lap times to be a little more realistic". Hopefully CM will fix this physics flaw in the next patch (but don't hold your breath lol)

<removed the links>

"no it's not a bug, it's a flaw in the physics that codemasters used.

setting higher springs should make the car more responsive, less resistant to body roll, reduce cornering grip and traction, and increase tire wear

for some reason it doesn't work like that, it does make the car more responsive and roll resistant, but it actually increases grip and traction, and doesn't seem to have an effect on tire wear.

It's not correct, even within the game, as they've listed set up tips in the game based on real life, but following these directions to help your set up won't work.

It's up to you what you do with that info, I personally don't set my springs higher than 7/7 now and the league I race in follows that rule as well, but if you're trying to go as fast as the game will allow you to go then you've gotta set it at 11/11

The problem people have with it is that it's not remotely based on real life, and gives you an unreal amount of grip. the reason my league has capped it at 7/7 is because we want our lap times to be a little more realistic. doing 1:20's at singapore is just absurd xD"
John Robertson

I dont know why leagues are trying to get people to not use the 11/11 bug, sure its cheap but there is no real way for it to be enforced, theres no way to check what setups people are on and there is no way for there to be locked setups and what ends up happening is that when someone starts winning all the time they'll get accused of using the bug starting arguments etc.

They need dedicated servers and also have an option to lock set ups at default for MP and leagues (as codemasters always seem to have some sort of set up bugs which make people go stupidly fast). Also it could be another way for them to make some extra $$

Also if the cars didnt handle like crap in high speed corners (its almost like the cars dont have diffusers and wings.) I know I wouldnt use it to make the cars atleast enjoyable to drive, maybe there is a reason why Ant Davidson didnt make it in F1, because F1 cars should be taking corners like Eau Rouge flat on default.

Dont know about the others but my setups for the tracks are made to be more hard for me and challenging but that's for me because thats who im,but not everybody are the same so everybody can do whatever the set up they like,about bugs and glitches in the game i have said before,tell that to Codemasters to fix and if anybody is driving whit that glitch well thats his choice and nobody need's to be judge'd about that.Im very positive that half of this Pro's over here who clamied what is what in the game that in real life they dont know what is engine in a car and where to put the oil and greasy there hands under the hood.

Why is everybody talking about equal numbers , i mean you have to use 6/6 or 8/8 at max otherwise you are cheating if you use 11/11
However it is totally unlogical that the front and rear springs have a same value, typical an f1 car has an stiff front ( spring and abr) allowing for quick driver respons and a softer back allowing for better traction..... So instead of pointing the finger and saying you can only use 6/6 in this club race etc, people should be allowed to use realistic settings like 11/6 or 10/5 or something like that ...... That is if codemasters made the setup logical off course but no they screwed up big time...........

I dont know why leagues are trying to get people to not use the 11/11 bug, sure its cheap but there is no real way for it to be enforced, theres no way to check what setups people are on and there is no way for there to be locked setups and what ends up happening is that when someone starts winning all the time they'll get accused of using the bug starting arguments etc.

They need dedicated servers and also have an option to lock set ups at default for MP and leagues (as codemasters always seem to have some sort of set up bugs which make people go stupidly fast). Also it could be another way for them to make some extra $$

Also if the cars didnt handle like crap in high speed corners (its almost like the cars dont have diffusers and wings.) I know I wouldnt use it to make the cars atleast enjoyable to drive, maybe there is a reason why Ant Davidson didnt make it in F1, because F1 cars should be taking corners like Eau Rouge flat on default.

Leagues are asking ppl not to use 11/11 because it ruins the game by making the handling to "arcade" ie unrealistic. Better racing is to be had where there are real limiits to grip and cars feel balanced.
A well setup car handles well at high speed. EG Eau Rouge flat out in 7th, turn 8 at Turkey flat in 6th. (neither is feasible on full fuel and cold primes however which is realistic in my view)
To get the very best handling you need to work on setup. Thats part of the depth of the game. If default setup was the ultimate it then removes that depth-no point in touching setup and that depth gone.
So you don't need 11/11 to have a nice car and the racing is better without it.
Hope that helps you with your question.
PS Anthony Davidson put the LeMans car on Pole last week, cant be too shabby really now can he?

My setting up tactic is to put Springs to 11/11 and reduce till comfortable, with the 11/11 issue I cant do this. So my question is what level should I start on and then look to reduce. Can someone produce a graph or diagram to explain the levels? ie 11/11 = 100% Traction / 100% downforce / 0% tyre wear ????????

My setting up tactic is to put Springs to 11/11 and reduce till comfortable, with the 11/11 issue I cant do this. So my question is what level should I start on and then look to reduce. Can someone produce a graph or diagram to explain the levels? ie 11/11 = 100% Traction / 100% downforce / 0% tyre wear ????????

You've just explained it...

11/11 = best grip, traction, turn in, tire performance.
6/6 = okay grip, traction, turn in, tire performance.
1/1 = worst grip, tractoin, turn in, tire performance.

Right now I don't think your set up tactic would work, since regardless of where you start, say 6/6 you will always have better performance at 6/6 than you will at 5/5 or 5/6 or 6/5.

it's best just to set the springs as stiff as what ever you're competing in allows. I race in a league that has it capped at 7/7, but I raced a RD club race a couple days ago where it was capped at 8/8, so i used 8/8.

I have to say, it's tough to know what is "realistic" right now.

I like the responsiveness of an 9/9 or 8/8 with some other settings, but it gives you too much grip and traction out of slow corners and i absolutely humiliate the AI with it.
For me, 8/8 is 3.5s faster than 6/6, with the same settings.

6/6 or even lower seems to produce the correct amount of low speed grip, but the car seems woobly and unresponsive in high speeds... like it has too much body movement.

Could I get away with just increasing the front to 11, then reduce till happy with balance, the increase rear to 11, then reduce the same way. Would this work or is the setting 11/6 still bugged?

is the bug fixed

does anyone know if the 11 + 11 setting cheat has been fixed, or addressed, just so bored with racing against this "bug" set up, so im not racing online till its fixed and the offending cheats have their ranks reset to 0 :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 112 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 153 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 289 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 419 39.8%