Oculus Rift support

The big differance from the Vuxiz is the FOV.
Where as you there look at a screen from a few feet with 45 degree FOV with it , the Oculus has an much higher FOV of 110, which it gets from lenses and the software that warps the picture to fit. So that is what gives that "in VR world " sensation of getting past that "window frame" you are looking trough with the Vuxiz.

the Sickness that Marco speaks of might just be a temporary thing from first using the device, it's one of those things that the longer you use it the more used too it you become. Sure some people will get sickness all the time but if your eyes and brain adapts accordingly then you'll be fine after a while.

cl415001.jpg
the Sickness that Marco speaks of might just be a temporary thing from first using the device, it's one of those things that the longer you use it the more used too it you become. Sure some people will get sickness all the time but if your eyes and brain adapts accordingly then you'll be fine after a while.

I disagree, I am a pilot career and I regularly use (one per year) simulator without motion. When there is a total immersion, the brain fool really be on the plane. This is when we change attitude the nausea. Going up or going down,the brain knows he should feel forces so there discrepancy between the visual and the feeling , this discrepancy cause nausea.

According to researchers, it can even be harmful to use a simulator every day. brain will get used to it and it is when the individual returns in reality it will be weird feeling.

It is the samething for the pilot they use fullm motion . it should not use it more than twice a year because of the parasite force !

I get a weird feeling if I've been sim driving all day and then drive my real car.

The sensations of accelerating/braking feel very accentuated.

I'm not sure the brain needs corresponding forces to go with the motion though... as Pulley said I bet there are people who will never get used to it and then others who can adapt each time they use it, or just take a while to get used to it.

In the end the brain only thinks/expects things, it isn't hard wired to need corresponding forces to apparent motion or vice versa.

Ultimately the brain is adapting all the time. We can train it to be good in new situations so it reacts better in them... but that doesn't mean it is un-training the common things we expect from motion forces vs visual cues.

A good example of this adaptability is the mirroring periscope experiment. People have them fitted and for a day or so they are disoriented but after a few days they are doing normal things and their brain automatically 'flips' things around so it makes sense.

When they take it off it obviously is disorienting at first but there is no permanent damage and their brains adapt back quickly. I'm not sure if it's faster adaptation back to normal, or slow, or if in repeated experiments it speeds up but I'm sure you could find out.

I'd be surprised if you could cause actual harm because of using these types of things... probably harmful because of the risk of falling over possibly after a day long session of racing with one on hehe :D

Dave

you're right the brain adapts to almost everything. I do not think and do not say it leads to sequelae, only odd sensations accompanied of nausea for some people. :coffee: As Whippy said:

"I get a weird feeling if I've been sim driving all day and then drive my real car.
The sensation of accelerating / braking feel very accentuated. "

There will always be an adaptation (without sequelae) and do not worry, this is only if there is abuse. ;)

Also, if the brain is really fooled, it means that the immersion must be excellent. The only thing missing to avoid nausea is to add movement. :D

I look forward to testing, maybe I'll change my screens :rolleyes:

View attachment 39790

I disagree, I am a pilot career and I regularly use (one per year) simulator without motion. When there is a total immersion, the brain fool really be on the plane. This is when we change attitude the nausea. Going up or going down,the brain knows he should feel forces so there discrepancy between the visual and the feeling , this discrepancy cause nausea.

According to researchers, it can even be harmful to use a simulator every day. brain will get used to it and it is when the individual returns in reality it will be weird feeling.

It is the samething for the pilot they use fullm motion . it should use it twice a year because of the parasite force !

that's good info many thanks for that, I have read elsewhere that people get used to using the Rift and that they felt slightly sick when first trying it but after awhile they did'nt notice and unnease. Obviously one of those things that could affect someone badly but would imagine that percentage to be quite small.

Just ordered a dev kit 2 days ago... (just couldn't wait anylonger :D )... as soon it will arrive... (which will still take some time.. I just hope not much longer then 8 weeks or so..(should be shipped in november)...

I'll give some infos how it is... I ofcourse hope I'll be able to test it with AC as first sim... but .. well thats just a hope.. otherwise I'll do it with Iracing.. which shouldn't differ much in that regard (I mean both are driving sims and so on.. so I mean how it is to drive a virtual car and so on)

soo... it arrived today...

so after some struggling at the beginning.. to get it to work.. and finding the right eyecups.. (and to get them into them without to destroy the fresh unpacked rift ...:D )

I startet with eyeracing .. because I heard about some problems with AC...

and well.... interesting :) ... I wanted to jump into a test session with the mx5 for the beginning... well.. didn't clicked right and ended up in my usual series.. the HPD ... well ok then the HPD then I thought..

before I started to drive I thought.. well this will be felt very fast because of that "in that car" thing.. ... well it wasn't :D I was surprised how "slow" it felt.. but then again... I was even more surprised about the braking .... I braked WAY too early :D (wanted to use spa because spa is my reference for all testing... but accidently used mid ohio..which I am not so familiar with..have to relearn it every season) and it was like this "landing ropes" on an aircraft carrier does stop me... I knew that things have strong brakes but soo strong wow :D

another thing I realized after struggling around the track.. searching for corners and brakepoints (yes the resolution is quite bad) that drifts and slides .. are somehow easier to catch with the rift... it all just feels a bit more natural..well you need a bit till you get used to the view... (yes the resolution is quite bad :D )

however... I decided then to take the l49 finally around spa... and.. well.. it is quite impressing to sit in the l49
it's realy nice to look at all that things.. to look at the tires and all such stuff,,, also what I realized then.. the mirrors are looking very nice in the l49.. yes not alot of use with the resolution in the moment... but they are real 3d mirrors so they change the perpective if you move your head around... that was quie immersive... it's interesting that such little things are a total WOW factor in the rift...

the l49 also alot more controllable with the rift...

however after driving around a few laps... I wanted to see how AC is... if the bugs are that heavy...
unfortunatly yes they are at the moment... not usuable... some things are in the left eye some are in the right eye... and that are things like... the right eye has no bonnet... the left one has no wheel and such things.... very unpleasent to look at... it hurts the brain...
sometimes even such strange things like.. on the left eye the mirror goes through the tire and on the right eye the other side... realy strange things.. like not possible geometries..

however... let me say you... as soon as kunos fixes that... it will blow everything away... that things I could more or less normaly see... were amazing... in iracing I thought well yes it's nice.. but I thought that "in the car" feeling would be a little bit more....

then in AC wow... realy IN THE CAR... perfect 3D .. I took place in the fiat 500... looked to the left and was amazed how real the door felt like... it was realy like I was sitting there... I hope kunos fixes the rift support soon.. because that will be an amazing experience..

also a big thing.. which plays into that... in Iracing it's realy realy hard to see in the distance.. and also the close things are looking very pixelated.. I think it's because iracing forces you to play witht the native rift resolution.... where in AC you can use the 1900*don't know ... and it's just scaled then... so ofcourse the resolution of the rift itself is still bad.. bud you get a much crisper and also more relaxing to look at view... also easier to overlook the screendoor effect...

BUT there is one thing you all need to try if you have the rift and didn't tried yet... !!!

HALF LIFE 2 with the official valve rift support... (you have to set in the properties that steam will load the beta) then in the tools library of steam.. use openVR to calibrate your rift and measure your IPD and set your height (maybe a bit higher then real.. I used my real height and I felt a bit small in hl.. I was a bit shorter then anybody there :D .... if that option is taken into account.. I don't know yet)

however first I tried HL2 without that calibration thing... and it wasn't that nice... I miss that in Iracing too btw... IPD seems to be A VERY BIG DEAL for natural feeling...

however after the calibration... wow wow wow wow...

I don't know how to describe it... it feels "airy" it's like you just look totaly normal in a world.. and you also recieve it as such... you don't believe how good the source engine looks in VR till you seen it yourself..

the part at the beginning when you leave the trainstation... and get on that place with all the people and drones.. wow.. then.. the part where you run over the roofs.. wow...

then after I fell through the stairs when alyx comes to rescue... she was face sitting me.. :D

it's just amazing.. how detailed they created that world...

however... after all.. yes the resolution is indeed quite bad.. at some times it is even realy unconfortable because you can't focus things what you would focus usually...

things in the distant are realy hard to see and spot.. and not so immersive...

but close things.. are amazing..

btw.. I rifted quite a time now for the first day... and didn't had any problems... I mean yes sometimes .. especially while the HL2 loading screens... it's realy strange when you move your head and the picture follows... it's like falling over..

and yes after that long time for the first.. time... you feel that at some point the eyes are a bit stressed by that pixelated view...

but I am quite sure after my first try... the HD or 4k model or what ever the consumer version will get... will be a quite pleasent thing (if it's done right).. much more relaxing then watching on a 2d screen.. at some points at HL2 where all fit well together.. it was realy relaxing for the eye it was such a natural view.. that is what I ment with "airy" so you feel no resistance...

the only thing that is realy stressing at the moment are these pixels and screendoor...

however much written... tried to described my first experience with it....

ahh btw.. make sure you have a cloned desktop... you can't use the desktop in the rift :D everytime I jump out of a game it's like aaaarghh it hurts whats going on... (because you see one half of the desk with one eye and the other with the other eye :D

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back