Oculus CV1 / Simracing Titles GTX 1080 Vs GTX 1070

Mr Latte

Premium
Hey guys, I go on/off the boil for VR and as my fun money is limited at this time, what would of been a must try it or instant purchase a short while back is no longer as simple with my current financial limitations. Basically I need to know the money spent isn't wasted on a sorta okay experience. I'm aware of the pixelation but I am more concerned about general framerates and hassle involved getting these up and running.

Having sold my consoles and built a PC last summer with respectable (i7 @4.6Ghz /GTX 1070) I am curious to just how capable the 1070 performs in VR. While I know the 1080 is a good on average 20 FPS faster than the, 1070 in 1920x1080. With some titles running at 4K resolution the performance gap seems to drop to as little as 5-10 FPS advantage.

What I cant find is a good comparison between the 1070 / 1080 based on framerates or differences for the best performing racing titles with VR. I assume these to be i-racing, Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally?

Any experience or advice appreciated and also on the issue with these at the current time.

More news on the Nvidia Volta (20xx) graphics cards... GDDR6 memory, but looks like the cards really wont be here until 2018 ... Linky. The hint of a 2017 release could possibly be for the professional version, which normally rolls out first.

Certainly not worth waiting for if your looking to buy soon ...

Upvote 0
I got a 1070 specifically for the rift, on my system it seems more than enough, the real bottleneck for me is my CPU, a i7 2600k now running at 4.7ghz. I can run the PP settings on medium/high. I can run higher in hotlap but my settings take racing against 16 AI cars into account. The fact that the resolution is so low on the VR headsets I don't know that you don't gain a whole lot by bumping up the graphics to maximum, so I'm happy with the settings I have.

AC is absolutely incredible in VR, for sim racing it's like moving from a controller to a FFB wheel, it's a huge jump in immersion. It really does feel like you're sitting in the car, there's no other way to describe it. Everyone I've had try AC in VR has been blown away by it. I don't think anyone who tries it could be disapointed. It does take a good bit of setup to get everything the way you like it, but once you're running supersampling and real head motion it's a full on experience.

Upvote 0
Dang delay on Volta :) Glad you guys mentioned about CV1 being CPU-heavy. Is there a linky of minimum acceptable CPU for the CV1? If @Shawn Jacobs is having issues with his i5-3570, I might too with my i5-4670k, as 2 years ago games were fine with i5's. I'm planning to order a CV1 soon when a relative flies to the US in 2 months time. Just upgraded last year from a 970 to 980Ti, so this should be fine until next year.

Upvote 0
If it's any help I built a system based on i7 6700K @4.6Ghz with 1070 card last year. I seen with some titles during the research I was doing seeking comparisons that i7 had slight advantages over i5.
Just got CV1 about a month now and only the touch controllers a week ago. Robo Recall is absolute bliss, so much fun and interaction with superb visuals and audio.

It runs really well and I hope is a sign of better-coded titles to come. I mainly use 1.7 to increase the visual fidelity on most titles. AC some settings need, reduced as with Im sure some other sims but I'm still not convinced the 1080 is a great deal better in VR than the 1070. The main benefit with 1080 seemed to be for 1440 users seeking 120Hz. Certainly at the time for me with VR in mind, not worth the extra £200 but now of course this may be much less.

VR has ignited a new lease of excitement into my own gaming. Sims are very immersive too but its down to the individual how well they handle/cope with the experience and accustomising to the resolution and bit annoying glare from the lenses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 367 15.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.9%